How to Find R from Electric Charge Problem

In summary, the equation given to find the distance between charges does not work correctly because the x-component of the force is not taken into account.
kidi3 said:
I am getting confused.. wasn't F_x i shoud have used..

Exactly, F_x is what you should use. The force that q3 exerts on q1 is

F = kq1q3/r2

The x-component of this force is Fx = Fcosθ. So,

Fx = kq1q3cosθ/r2.

q4 creates the same x-component of force on q1. So, the total force on q1 from q3 and q4 together is

2kq1q3cosθ/r2 ##\;\;\;\;## (in the positive x direction)

q2 creates a force on q1 in the negative x direction of magnitude kq1q2/R2.

So, the net force will be zero if

2kq1q3cosθ/r2 = kq1q2/R2

This leads to

2q3cosθ/r2 = q2/R2

And the error, I really don't understand how there can be a error in the equation i wrote..

Right. That's what we need to determine. So, let's go through the steps for solving the last equation above for R. I suggested what I thought was a good first step; namely, to multiply the equation through by the least common denominator r2R2. If that's not how you want to do it, that's ok. But, can you please show your next step or two in solving for R?

<h2>1. How do I calculate the value of R from an electric charge problem?</h2><p>To find the value of R in an electric charge problem, you can use the formula R = Q/V, where Q is the electric charge and V is the potential difference. This formula is known as Ohm's Law and is commonly used in circuit analysis.</p><h2>2. What units should I use for R in an electric charge problem?</h2><p>The unit for R is ohms (Ω), which is the standard unit for electrical resistance. It is important to use the correct units in any calculation to ensure accurate results.</p><h2>3. Can I use the same formula to find R in both AC and DC circuits?</h2><p>Yes, the formula R = Q/V can be used in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, in AC circuits, the value of R may vary depending on the frequency of the current.</p><h2>4. Is there a way to find R if I only know the value of current?</h2><p>Yes, you can use Ohm's Law in its alternative form, R = V/I, where V is the potential difference and I is the current. This formula can be used to find R if you only know the current and potential difference in a circuit.</p><h2>5. What is the significance of R in an electric charge problem?</h2><p>R, or resistance, is a crucial component in any electric circuit. It determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit for a given potential difference. It also helps regulate the flow of electricity and prevents damage to devices by limiting the current.</p>

1. How do I calculate the value of R from an electric charge problem?

To find the value of R in an electric charge problem, you can use the formula R = Q/V, where Q is the electric charge and V is the potential difference. This formula is known as Ohm's Law and is commonly used in circuit analysis.

2. What units should I use for R in an electric charge problem?

The unit for R is ohms (Ω), which is the standard unit for electrical resistance. It is important to use the correct units in any calculation to ensure accurate results.

3. Can I use the same formula to find R in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, the formula R = Q/V can be used in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, in AC circuits, the value of R may vary depending on the frequency of the current.

4. Is there a way to find R if I only know the value of current?

Yes, you can use Ohm's Law in its alternative form, R = V/I, where V is the potential difference and I is the current. This formula can be used to find R if you only know the current and potential difference in a circuit.

5. What is the significance of R in an electric charge problem?

R, or resistance, is a crucial component in any electric circuit. It determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit for a given potential difference. It also helps regulate the flow of electricity and prevents damage to devices by limiting the current.