How to calculate needed inverter power?

In summary, The inverter is feeding a motor which is rated with a power factor. The inverter needs to be able to provide enough power to trip the circuit breaker during a fault. The load is more constant than traction motors. The nominal rating of the appliances and circuit in the documentation can be found.
Farkane
Hi all ,

I m rookie engineer and i just faced a big problem for me.There is a inverter which has ;

750V DC input voltage
3x400 V AC outpu voltage
10 kVA continuous power
12.5 kVA 30min power

And ı have appx 10kw loads. Is my inverter enough to feed that load?

Even if it can feed how can i prove that ?

Thanks in advanced

Engineering news on Phys.org
Farkane, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You have not given enough information to expect a useful response. Please try to put your requirements into one of these:

Here are a few Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Power Requirement Calculators:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/upssizecalc.html
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/selectors/ups/index.cfm
http://www.refurbups.com/UPS-Sizing-Calculator

If you do not get satisfactory answers, then do return here and post your specific questions and doubts.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

I am working as a trolleybus maintenance engineer. So our auxiliary inveter has appx 10 kW loads when trolleybus is running and as you know trolleybus has 750V DC catener line. Aux inverter input voltage is 750V DC and output voltage is 3x400V AC.It has 10kVA continuous power.Inverter with its 3x400V AC feeding that 10kW load. My point is , how can i determined that inverter power is enough to feed how much load? I need something that prove to my directors.

Thanks

Farkane

I assume the inverter is feeding a motor? In that case the the motor is probably rated with a power factor (PF), cos phi. If the motor is rated 10 kW, that is 10kW mechanical output. Take into account the losses you get electrical active power of, let's say 11kW. And with a power factor of 0.8 you get apparent power of S=13.75kVA. That is higher than the nominal rating of your inverter. Take note that this is just some random numbers just to illustrate the point.

Maybe you don´t need full power when running on aux. power, or maybe just intermittent during acceleration. In such a case, the inverter might do the work. This can be controlled. Any how, the inverter needs to be secured with fuses and controls in order for it to operate inside its ratings.

How is the Trolleybus industry going?

You can assume that inverter is feeding auxiliary units like air compressors,steering pumps etc. There is already a motor inverter in the vehicle. According to this informations how can
i calculate inverter need power?

Btw trolley sector is pretty good. Sector is reliable and environmental so that most of the municipalities prefer trolley system instead of street tram. Also street trams are more expensive than trolley.

Ok, but the approach is the same. Air compressors and pumps are driven by electric motors. But the loading of these are probably more constant than traction motors.

In order to accurately dimension the inverter you need to know accurately the maximum load that can occur. As you have stated, the inverter can supply 10 kVA constantly, and 12.5 kVA for 30 min.

If this is a factory installation you probably can find the nominal rating of the appliances and circuit in the documentation.

Another important point is the short circuit capacity of the inverter. That is, it must be able to provide enough power to trip the circuit breaker during a fault.

As far as i understand my inverter continuous power is the significative factor. Also aux. equipments are working randomly they are not working continuously except steering pump. So that my 10kVa will be enough for my loads. What you think about my idea?

Can someone show me the formula of callculating inverter load power? I need some calculation than i can easily understand

1. How do I calculate the power needed for my inverter?

To calculate the power needed for your inverter, you will need to know the wattage of all the devices that will be connected to the inverter. Add up all the wattages and multiply by 1.2 to account for any power surges. This will give you the minimum power needed for your inverter.

2. What is the formula for calculating inverter power?

The formula for calculating inverter power is as follows: P = V x I x PF, where P is power in watts, V is voltage, I is current, and PF is the power factor. However, for a simpler calculation, you can use the method mentioned in the first question.

3. How do I determine the voltage and current for my devices?

To determine the voltage and current for your devices, you can check the labels or specifications on the devices themselves. They should provide the necessary information. If not, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current.

4. Do I need to consider the power factor when calculating inverter power?

Yes, it is important to consider the power factor when calculating inverter power. The power factor is a measure of how efficiently the device uses electricity. A lower power factor means more power is needed to run the device, so it should be factored into the calculation.

5. Can I use a higher wattage inverter for my devices?

It is generally not recommended to use a higher wattage inverter than what is needed for your devices. It can lead to inefficient use of energy and may also damage your devices. It is best to use an inverter with the minimum required power to ensure safe and efficient operation.