Disprove the nested quantifier

• Thread starter albert1992
  • Start date
In summary, the given statement, ∃x∀y(y̸=0→xy=1), is false in the real numbers universe. This can be proven by negating the statement and showing that it cannot be true for any value of y.
albert1992

Homework Statement

∃x∀y(y̸=0→xy=1) in the real numbers universe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the given statement is false I negated the whole statement to become

∀x∃y(y̸!=0^xy!=1) (!= means not equal to)

then I would have to prove this correct by setting y to something except zero
I can't find any y to prove this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make sense of your formulae. I think you messed up the typesetting. Also, it may help to use words instead of symbols... especially if you have to improvise to make the symbols.

there exists an x,for every y (if y does not equal to zero then x*y=1) *real numbers universe

Albert1992 said:
there exists an x,for every y (if y does not equal to zero then x*y=1)

*real numbers universe
How about this?

For every nonzero y in R, there exists an x in R such that xy = 1.

i have to disprove the statement since it is false

Albert1992 said:
there exists an x,for every y (if y does not equal to zero then x*y=1)

*real numbers universe

If y does not equal 0, then there is only one value x such that x*y=1. That's x=1/y. How can there be an x that has an infinite number of solutions to x*y=1?

Exactly why the statement is false, but i have to prove that it is false
by negating the whole expression

1. What is a nested quantifier?

A nested quantifier is a logical operator that is used in mathematical and scientific statements to describe the relationship between two or more variables or sets. It is represented by symbols such as ∀ (for all) and ∃ (there exists) and is used to express the scope or extent of a statement.

2. How can a nested quantifier be disproven?

A nested quantifier can be disproven by providing a counterexample, which is a specific case where the statement is false. This shows that the statement is not true for all possible values of the variables, thus disproving the nested quantifier.

3. What is the importance of disproving a nested quantifier?

Disproving a nested quantifier is important because it allows us to identify statements that are not universally true and may have exceptions. This helps prevent making incorrect conclusions based on a false assumption.

4. Can a nested quantifier be partially disproven?

Yes, a nested quantifier can be partially disproven. This means that while the statement may not be true for all possible values of the variables, it may still hold true for some specific cases. In such cases, the statement is considered to be partially true.

5. What is the difference between disproving a nested quantifier and proving its negation?

Proving the negation of a nested quantifier means showing that the statement is false for all possible values of the variables. This is a stronger form of proof compared to disproving, which only requires showing that the statement is false for at least one specific case.