Evaluate the definite integral

In summary, the problems you listed can all be solved using the product rule (integration by parts). When using this method, it is important to choose u and dv carefully in order to make the integral easier to solve. Additionally, the order in which you choose u and dv can impact the difficulty of the integral. You can also use the LIATE (or ILATE) method to help choose which part to make u.
EasyStyle4747
There are several situations I don't know how to solve:

integral of (lnx)/(x^2) dx

integral of e^x(cos2x)dx

integral of ln(1+x^2)dx

I have a quiz tommorow, and after looking through some notes, this is what I couldn't understand.

Please help! thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EasyStyle4747 said:
There are several situations I don't know how to solve:

integral of (lnx)/(x^2) dx

integral of e^x(cos2x)dx

integral of ln(1+x^2)dx

I have a quiz tommorow, and after looking through some notes, this is what I couldn't understand.

Please help! thanks.
These can all be done by the appealing to the product rule (integration by parts). Show your work so that we can help with where you're stuck.

[tex]\int udv = uv - \int{vdu}[/tex]

Yes, I realize its integration by parts. I've been doing other problems with the product rule. Its just these that I'm stumped on. I basically don't know where to begin with some of these.

for this one: integral of (lnx)/(x^2) dx , are you supposed to change it to (lnx)(x^-2) first and then use parts?

for this one: ntegral of e^x(cos2x)dx, o jeez, i forgot, how do you take the anti-derivative of cos2x

for this one: integral of ln(1+x^2)dx , how do you split it into 2 parts? What do you set u equal to? What do you set dv equal to?

Some general questions:
-Does it matter which part you set dv or u equal to? Or do you HAVE to go in order?

thnx for being helpful people! :wink:

Order does in fact matter, and generally LIATE (or ILATE) will help you choose what to make 'u' : Logarithmic, Inverse, Algebraic, Trig, Exponential. For example, your first problem:

[tex]\int \frac{lnx}{x^2}dx[/tex]

let [tex]u=lnx; dv=\frac{1}{x^2}dx[/tex]
And just derive/integrate to find du and v and plug into the aforementioned expression.

Those integrals:

a) are not definite.Are indefinite,equivalently,are antiderivarives of certain functions.
b)can be computed via part integration.For the second,two times partial integration is necessary.

EasyStyle4747 said:
for this one: ntegral of e^x(cos2x)dx, o jeez, i forgot, how do you take the anti-derivative of cos2x

The integral of cos 2x = (1/2)sin 2x.

for this one: integral of ln(1+x^2)dx , how do you split it into 2 parts? What do you set u equal to? What do you set dv equal to?

You can write that as 1.ln(1 + x^2) dx, but there's probably a better way of doing that integral.

Some general questions:
-Does it matter which part you set dv or u equal to? Or do you HAVE to go in order?

Yeah, it does because one way round you probably won't be able to do the integral. Usually, you take u to be the part that is "easier" to deal with (eg. polynomials, like x^2) and the dv shouldn't get "harder" to deal with when you integrate (eg. exponentials, trig functions). Say you had the integral of x^2.e^x, you'd take u = x^2 and dv/dx = e^x (and you'd have to do integration by parts twice).

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two specific values. It is used to calculate the total value of a varying quantity over a given interval.

2. How is a definite integral evaluated?

A definite integral is evaluated using a mathematical formula, known as the fundamental theorem of calculus. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and substituting the upper and lower limits into the formula.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits, while an indefinite integral does not have any limits. This means that a definite integral yields a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral results in a function.

4. What is the significance of evaluating a definite integral?

Evaluating a definite integral is important in many areas of science and engineering. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, and can also be used in economics, biology, and other fields to analyze and model real-world phenomena.

5. Can a definite integral have a negative value?

Yes, a definite integral can have a negative value. This occurs when the function being integrated has negative values between the specified limits, or when the area under the curve is below the x-axis.