Navigating My Future: My Journey from Engineering to Mathematics and Physics

In summary, the speaker is currently studying Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering, but is interested in pursuing a career in mathematics or theoretical physics. They are unable to change their subject in Turkey, so they plan to get good grades and then do their graduate studies in the USA or UK. They are unsure if they truly want to be a physicist or mathematician, but they enjoy mathematics and the idea of proving theorems. The speaker acknowledges that it may be difficult to find a job in these fields, but would rather pursue something they love rather than something they don't. They also appreciate the advice and resources shared by other members of the conversation.
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello everyone. Before I start asking my question, I'd like to, if I may, talk about myself. I'm currently studying Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering and the following year will be my third year(including undergraduate preparotry). But, I don't really want to be an engineer, but a mathemetician or particle or theoretical physics. However, in the country I'm living(Turkey), it's kind of impossible to study those subjects. "Good students" are either in medicine or in engineering. So after being successful on the university exams( I hope I'm not looking like a smart ars* by saying this) I decided to be an engineer knowing I do really like Maths and Physics and hate biology. But engineering isn't, I think, for me. I know some of you might say why don't you just change your subject, but as I've said before, I cannot. At least not in Turkey. I'm now thinking of getting as good grades as I can and then graduate. Afterwards doing my graduate in the USA or the UK etc on physics or maths hence I'll probably be a physicst or mathematician. What do you really suggest? How do I really know I do want to be a physicst or mathematician? ( Because I'm sort of tickle, but maths and physics, especially maths has always been my favorite subject since I was like 5)

Thanks for listening to me and sorry for my English.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about physics, but mathematics is all about proofs. Do you like proving theorems, understanding why they are valid? Good arguments? Rigor?

BiP

Likes 1 person
Bipolarity said:
I don't know about physics, but mathematics is all about proofs. Do you like proving theorems, understanding why they are valid? Good arguments? Rigor?

BiP

Thanks for the reply BiP. Yes, I think I do. I think I like almost everything in mathematics.

Not everybody who gets a PhD in pure science or mathematics has an easy time being able to DO something with it. I suggest following your heart, especially if you are dedicated, but just make sure you know what you're getting in to!

Likes 1 person
By mathematician or particle physicist, do you mean a professor? Those positions are extremely hard to get.

You should look at this thread if you are really considering going into physics after engineering:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

It certainly can be done but you'd be wise to read what ZapperZ says there.

I really wish you the best of luck, Nugso.

Likes 1 person
Thank your for the replies ilmareofthemai and lisab. I know they're very hard to get and I'll have hard time getting it/them. But it is still better than getting something you don't really like easily. Thanks for the link by the way. It was really of help.

Likes 1 person

What does it mean to be "lost" about my future?

Feeling lost about your future can mean different things to different people. It can refer to not having a clear direction or goal in mind, uncertainty about career or life choices, or feeling overwhelmed and unsure about what steps to take next.

Is it normal to feel lost about my future?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel lost about your future. Many people go through periods of uncertainty and doubt when it comes to their future. It's a natural part of the human experience and can actually be a valuable opportunity for self-reflection and growth.

What can I do to find direction and clarity about my future?

There are several things you can do to help you find direction and clarity about your future. Some suggestions include setting goals, exploring your interests and passions, seeking guidance from a mentor or career counselor, and taking time for self-reflection and introspection.

How can I overcome the fear and anxiety of feeling lost about my future?

Feeling lost about your future can be scary and overwhelming, but there are ways to overcome the fear and anxiety associated with it. Some strategies include practicing mindfulness and focusing on the present moment, seeking support from loved ones, and being open to change and new opportunities.

Is it possible to change my path and find a new direction for my future?

Yes, it is always possible to change your path and find a new direction for your future. You are in control of your own journey and have the power to make changes and pursue new opportunities. It may require some hard work and determination, but it is never too late to find a new path and create a brighter future for yourself.