Plasma wakefield acceleration. Why is plasma the perfect transformer?

In summary: But how does it keep doing that?In summary, plasma is a very efficient transformer, but it does not explain how or why.
Superposed_Cat
Hi all, I recently read the wiki article on Plasma wakefield acceleration and it states that plasma is "The most efficient transformer known" but does no explain how (or maybe it does electrodynamics and induction are not my strong suit) and when I google it the only things that come up are cartoon referances. could someone please explain? Thanks in advance:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Plasma has a high density of free charges. This allows to get very intense electric fields.
I guess in terms of efficiency, superconducting cavities are better, but their field strength is more limited (currently ~35 MeV/m, while plasma acceleration is of the order of GeV/cm).

Superposed_Cat said:
Hi all, I recently read the wiki article on Plasma wakefield acceleration and it states that plasma is "The most efficient transformer known" but does no explain how (or maybe it does electrodynamics and induction are not my strong suit) and when I google it the only things that come up are cartoon referances. could someone please explain? Thanks in advance:)

Plasma Wakefield comes in two different favors: excitation by lasers and by electron beam.

Here are links on laser plasma wakefields:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2006/December/06120602.asp

http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/29728

Info on electron plasma Wakefield:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.1145

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Plasma Wakefield comes in two different favors: excitation by lasers and by electron beam.
Proton beams are tested, too.

Here is some recent progress on the energy spread issue: Quasi-monoenergetic laser-plasma acceleration of electrons to 2 GeV

They are probably nice for medical and industrial applications, for particle colliders the beam is not narrow enough. (at least at the moment).

Thanks guys. Does anyone have a link to a diagram or schematic of a hypothetical plasma w/f accelerator for me? I am having trouble understanding the whole thing works.
Every page I look at is either too complex or so simple it omits vital info. Thanks if it's not too much

How does it CONTINUALLY accelerate the particles. I get how it gives them an initial massive kick.

1. What is plasma wakefield acceleration?

Plasma wakefield acceleration is a method of accelerating charged particles using an electric field created by a plasma. This technique allows for higher acceleration gradients, which can lead to much higher particle energies compared to traditional acceleration methods.

2. How does plasma wakefield acceleration work?

In this process, a high-intensity laser pulse is fired into a plasma, creating a region of oscillating electrons. As a charged particle travels through this region, it experiences a strong electric field that accelerates it to high energies.

3. What are the advantages of using plasma wakefield acceleration?

Compared to traditional particle accelerators, plasma wakefield acceleration has the potential to be more compact, cost-effective, and energy-efficient. It also allows for higher accelerating gradients, which can lead to higher particle energies in a shorter distance.

4. Why is plasma the perfect transformer for this process?

Plasma has the unique property of being able to sustain large electric fields without breaking down. This allows for the creation of the strong electric fields needed for particle acceleration. Plasma also has a high density, which means a small volume of plasma can contain a large number of particles, making it an efficient medium for accelerating them.

5. What are the potential applications of plasma wakefield acceleration?

Plasma wakefield acceleration has the potential to revolutionize particle physics research, as it can produce high-energy particles in a much smaller space. It also has possible applications in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the development of compact and powerful particle accelerators for industrial and scientific use.