Why are the stresses not converging in my Ansys plane stress model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ansys 14.0 to model a simple plane stress problem involving a square plate with a hexagonal hole. The boundary conditions, convergence study, and element selection are mentioned. The issue of stress convergence is also brought up, with the suggestion to plot the results and consider the fillet radii of the hexagon. The potential for infinite stress at sharp corners is mentioned and a book reference is provided for dealing with stress concentrations in real life.
c.teixeira
Hi,

I am trying to model a simple plane stress problem using Ansys. I am using Ansys 14.0.
The problem is a simple square plate, without a corner, and with a hexagon hole around the midle. The boundary conditions consist of a constant pressure on the top side, and full constrain on the bottom.

In order to study the convergence, I listed the maximum displacements and stress on the entire domain. I realized that the displacements converged fairly good. However none of the stresses, namely [itex]\sigma_{x}[/itex], [itex]\sigma_{y}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{xy}[/itex], converge. You can see on the attached image, how bad the situation is. I don't know exactly why is this happening.
On the attached image I have ploted the converge study for the [itex]\sigma_{x}[/itex] stress only. Note that on the last mesh, I used a mesh 5 times finer that the previous one. Also, the last meshes are highly dense. In fact the 5th mesh from the bottom already corresponds to 50 elements on the right side.

also,

The thickness is around 0.01 [m].
I used plane182 elements, with element behaviour selected as plane stress with thickness.

Any help is appreciated,

Attachments

• PF.png
    PF.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 605
  • PF_refinement.png
    PF_refinement.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 654
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just guessing here, but what is the radius on the corners of the hexagonal hole? Can you plot the results up to where you stop the analysis (or it stopped itself), and see where it's diverging?

dawin said:
Just guessing here, but what is the radius on the corners of the hexagonal hole? Can you plot the results up to where you stop the analysis (or it stopped itself), and see where it's diverging?

The radius is 0.008[m]. It is a regular hexagon.

The analysis runs all the way. And pretty fast too.(except for the last mesh)

Dawin means the fillet radii at the 6 corners of your hexagon. In your picture, it looks as if the hexagon is 6 straight lines meeting at angles of 120 degrees.

If that is the case, the stresses won't "converge", because the mathematical solution says the stress is infinite at the sharp corners.

Of course in real life, the corners are not perfectly sharp, most structural materials (e.g. metals or plastics) will yield in a small region at the corner, and for metals the material is not probably not even isotropic at length scales of the same order as the grain size.

The way to deal with all that "in real life" is find the stress levels around the hole ignoring the local stress concentrations, and then apply a stress concentration factor from a book like http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470048247/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Forgot to thank you at the time. Your answer was helpful.

1. What is stress convergence in Ansys?

Stress convergence in Ansys refers to the process of achieving a stable and accurate solution for stress calculations. It is an iterative process where the software adjusts the mesh and solution until the stresses at each element are within a desired tolerance.

2. Why is stress convergence important?

Stress convergence is important because it ensures that the results obtained from Ansys are accurate and reliable. Without stress convergence, the solution may not be stable and could lead to incorrect or misleading results.

3. How do you know if stress convergence has been achieved?

In Ansys, stress convergence is typically evaluated by checking the stress values at each element and comparing them to a set convergence criterion. If the stress values are within the specified tolerance, then stress convergence has been achieved.

4. What factors can affect stress convergence in Ansys?

There are several factors that can affect stress convergence in Ansys, including the element type, mesh density, boundary conditions, and material properties. It is important to carefully consider these factors when setting up an analysis to ensure stress convergence is achieved.

5. How can stress convergence be improved in Ansys?

To improve stress convergence in Ansys, you can try increasing the mesh density, refining the mesh in areas of high stress gradients, and using a more accurate element type. It may also be helpful to check the results at different time steps or load increments to identify any convergence issues and adjust the analysis settings accordingly.