Valence and conduction bands in an n-type material

In summary, the trivalent impurities have lower energy levels than the pentavalent impurities, which causes the electrons in an n-type material to have larger orbits and have more energy than the electrons in a p-type material.
paulmdrdo
can you explain why the trivalent impurities
exert lower forces on the outer-shell electrons than the pentavalent impurities?
and why The valence and conduction bands in an n-type material are at slightly lower energy levels
than the valence and conduction bands in a p-type material?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Where is that coming from?

As usual the devil is in the details:
For silicon - donors come from group V and acceptors from group III ... have a look at those atoms on the periodic table. Match up the general properties of these groups with their performance as semicondctor impurities.

Simplistically: trivalent impurities kept all their electrons while the pentavalent impurities lost one ... electrons are going to be more attracted to the location an atom lost an electron than to one where the atom has not right?

Likes 1 person
I've read it from electronics book.

Now, if the trivalent impurities kept all their electrons, does it mean the electrons are experiencing higher attractive force of the nucleus? hence have lower energy? I'm still confused. what I'm most concern about is the difference of energy levels of the conduction and valance band of p-region and n-region.

Last edited:
Maybe I misread the question ... how do you mean "outer shell"?
I still need to know where you are getting this, I'm only guessing.

here's the complete paragraph

ENERGY DIAGRAMS OF PN JUCTION AND DEPLETION REGION.

The valence and conduction bands in an n-type material are at slightly lower energy levels
than the valence and conduction band s in a p-type material. Recall that p-type material ha s
trivalent impuritie s and n-type material has pentavalent impuriti s. The trivalent impurities
exert lower forces on the outer-shell electrons than the pentavalent impurities. The lower
forces in p-type material s mean that the electron orbits are slightly larger and hence have
greater energy than the ele ctron orbit s in the n-type materials.

I don't understand the part where it say that "the trivalent impurities exert lower forces on outer-shell electrons(valence electrons) than the pentavalent purities. The lower
forces in p-type material s mean that the electron orbits are slightly larger and hence have
greater energy than the ele ctron orbit s in the n-type materials."

Hmmm... not a very clear description is it.
They appear to have mixed atomic and band-structure descriptions.

I think: list the elements in each group - and look up their energy levels.
Compare.

What is the difference between valence and conduction bands in an n-type material?

The valence band is the highest energy level that is completely filled with electrons in an atom or material. The conduction band, on the other hand, is the energy level that is partially or completely empty and allows for the movement of electrons.

How does an n-type material differ from a p-type material in terms of valence and conduction bands?

N-type materials have an excess of free electrons in their conduction band, which allows for the flow of current. P-type materials, on the other hand, have a deficit of electrons in their valence band, creating holes that can accept electrons from neighboring atoms.

What determines the energy gap between the valence and conduction bands in an n-type material?

The energy gap, also known as the band gap, is determined by the atomic structure and composition of the material. Materials with smaller band gaps tend to be better conductors, while materials with larger band gaps are insulators.

How does doping affect the valence and conduction bands in an n-type material?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a material to alter its electrical properties. In n-type materials, doping with elements such as phosphorus or arsenic creates an excess of free electrons in the conduction band, making the material more conductive.

Why is the conduction band of an n-type material typically higher in energy than the valence band?

This is due to the process of bandgap engineering, where the bandgap of a material is intentionally adjusted to optimize its electrical properties. In n-type materials, the conduction band is often raised in energy to increase the flow of electrons and enhance conductivity.