ORC Setup in Garage - Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker is new to a forum and looking for advice on their home-built ORC system. They have used two Swep heat ex-changers, three hot water heaters, and a 1kW turbine for the working fluid side, while using a water fountain cooler as a heat sink. They are using R-134a as the working fluid and have a 30 lb. tank for their refrigerant. They also have a mass flow meter and VFDs for the pumps. The speaker is attending diesel mechanic school and was inspired to build this system by a cousin. They have already evacuated the system and are hoping to generate 1 kW of power from the turbine.
stallingsfrank
Hey I am new to this forum and I am looking for any pointers about my ORC before I start it up? I made an ORC in my garage with two Swep heat ex-changers, one B35 and one B10 (used but flushed). I have hooked up 3 (used) hot water heaters to the B35, 40 gal each with 4.4 kW elements in them, for my Q in. (A relative, who is an electrician, wired this system up for me.) I am using R-134a as the working fluid. I have a 1kW turbine and a 2 GPM (3/4 hp) pump for the working fluid side. For the heat sink or heat dump, B10, I hooked up a water fountain cooler to save on wasting water. I am about to ad freon and wanted to know if there are suggestions on how much I should ad in lbs? I have a 30 lb. tank. I also have a mass flow meter just before the pump for the refrigerant side and some temp and pressure gauges set up throughout the system. I am controlling the three pumps with three older but working VFDs for the pumps as well. This is mostly and analog set up. I am going to diesel mechanic school and my cousin who also goes there told me about this system. I had to make my own…thanks for any pointers! Oh and the system has been evacuated too. I am expecting to get 1 kW out of the turbine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea, but I'd enjoy seeing some photos of this setup you have!

1. What is an ORC setup in a garage?

An ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle) setup in a garage is a type of heat recovery system that uses waste heat from a garage to generate electricity. It works by using a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the exhaust gases of a vehicle to a working fluid, which then turns a turbine to produce electricity.

2. How does an ORC setup work?

An ORC setup uses the principles of the Rankine cycle, which is a thermodynamic cycle that converts heat into work. In this setup, the working fluid is heated by the exhaust gases from a vehicle and then expanded through a turbine. The turbine is connected to a generator, which produces electricity. The cooled working fluid is then condensed and recycled back to the heat exchanger.

3. What are the benefits of installing an ORC setup in a garage?

There are several benefits to installing an ORC setup in a garage. Firstly, it can help reduce energy costs by generating electricity from waste heat. It also reduces the environmental impact of the garage by reducing emissions and promoting sustainability. Additionally, it can improve the overall efficiency of the garage by using waste heat to power other equipment or processes.

4. What types of garages can benefit from an ORC setup?

An ORC setup can be beneficial for any type of garage that produces heat waste, such as car repair shops, car washes, or even parking garages. It can also be used in industrial or commercial settings where there is a significant amount of heat waste from processes or equipment.

5. How can I determine if an ORC setup is suitable for my garage?

If you are considering installing an ORC setup in your garage, it is important to consult with a professional to assess the feasibility and potential benefits of the setup for your specific garage. Factors such as the amount of heat waste produced, the availability of space for equipment, and the cost of installation and maintenance should be taken into consideration.