Electric field of a wire segment

In summary, the question is asking for the electric field at a distance 'z' above the midpoint of a straight line segment with uniform charge density. The solution involves evaluating an integral using the substitution method. If the length of the line segment approaches infinity, the electric field and electrostatic potential become nonphysical and infinite.
Reshma
This is a solved example in Griffith's book.
Question: Find the electirc field a distance 'z' above the midpoint of a straight line segment of length 2L, which carries uniform charge [itex]\lambda[/itex]

Solution: Let me work out the steps and show you where my problem is(I have avoided showing some of the steps).
The coordinate axis has been set up taking the midpoint of the wire as the origin. Magnitude of the electric field is given by:
[tex] E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_{0}^{L} \frac{2\lambda z}{(z^2 + x^2)^{3/2}} dx[/tex]

HERE, Griffith has not elaborated the evauation of the integral under the bracket and directly given the solution. I have tried my level best to solve it but couldn't suceed. So can someone show me the intermediate steps involved in evaluating the integral:
[tex]\int_{0}^{L}\frac{1}{(z^2 + x^2)^{3/2}} dx[/tex] ([itex]\lambda[/itex] & z are constants)

For your convenience, the final solution is:
[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} [\frac{2\lambda L}{z\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}}][/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
to deal with the integral [tex]\int \frac{1}{(z^2+x^2)^{3/2}} dx[/tex]
try putting [tex]x = z \tan\theta[/tex]

and using the identity [tex]1+\tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta[/tex]

Kelvin said:
to deal with the integral [tex]\int \frac{1}{(z^2+x^2)^{3/2}} dx[/tex]
try putting [tex]x = z \tan\theta[/tex]

and using the identity [tex]1+\tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta[/tex]

Thank you for the guidance. Here is my evalution of the integral:
[tex]\int_{0}^{L} \frac{z^2\sec^2 \theta d\theta}{({z^2\tan^2 \theta +z^2})^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{z^2} \int_{0}^{L} \cos \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{z^2} [\sin \theta] \mid_{0}^{L}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{z^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{z^2 + x^2}} \mid_{0}^{L}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{z^2} \frac{L}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}}[/tex]

Sticking to the original question, electric field is:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} [\frac{2\lambda L}{z\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}}][/tex]
How will the formula be modified if [itex]L\rightarrow \infty[/itex]

Consider that [tex]\sqrt{z^2 + L^2} = L \sqrt{1 + (z/L)^2}[/tex]

Now can you see what happens when [itex]L\rightarrow \infty[/itex] ?

Doc Al said:
Consider that [tex]\sqrt{z^2 + L^2} = L \sqrt{1 + (z/L)^2}[/tex]

Now can you see what happens when [itex]L\rightarrow \infty[/itex] ?
Wow! Thanks Doc Al :smile:.

[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} [\frac{2\lambda L}{z L\sqrt{1 + (z/L)^2}}][/tex]

So,[itex](z/L)^2\rightarrow 0[/itex]

Hence,
[tex]E = \frac{2\lambda}{4\pi \epsilon_0 z}[/tex]

Please note, that the solution in a limit of L→∞ is nonphysical. The total charge of such system is infinite. That leads to another singularity: the electrostatic potential at any point of the space is also infinite.
[itex]\varphi(z)=\int_{z}^{\infty}E(\zeta)d\zeta=\infty[/itex]

What is the electric field of a wire segment?

The electric field of a wire segment is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle at any point along the wire.

How is the electric field of a wire segment calculated?

The electric field of a wire segment can be calculated using the formula E = kλ/r, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

What factors affect the electric field of a wire segment?

The electric field of a wire segment is affected by the amount of charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the medium surrounding the wire. It is also affected by the length and shape of the wire.

How does the electric field of a wire segment differ from the electric field of a point charge?

The electric field of a wire segment is a more complex calculation compared to the electric field of a point charge, which is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2. Additionally, the electric field of a wire segment can vary along its length, while the electric field of a point charge is constant at all points in space.

What is the significance of the electric field of a wire segment in practical applications?

The electric field of a wire segment is important in understanding the behavior of electric circuits and devices. It also plays a role in the design and operation of electrical systems such as power lines, telecommunication networks, and electronic devices.