State of the art on H line spectra?

In summary, the state of the art on H line spectra is continually evolving and improving as new technologies and techniques are developed. H line spectra, which refers to the spectral lines of hydrogen atoms, are crucial in understanding the physical properties of stars and other celestial objects. Recent advancements in spectroscopy, such as high-resolution observations and advanced data analysis methods, have allowed for a more detailed and accurate understanding of H line spectra. Additionally, advanced computer simulations and theoretical models are being used to further our knowledge and interpretation of H line spectra. Overall, the current state of research on H line spectra offers a deeper understanding of the universe and its components.
Hi

Here is the number for the measured frequency for hydrogen 1s to 2s transition:

2 466 061 413 187 035 Hz

By way of interest, what is our most accurate theoretical calculation of this number? I've tried the ordinary Bohr formula and it is only accurate to about 4 places.

I'm also wondering if there is any Doppler frequency shift factor involved in the theoretical formula. Because the light emanates from (I presume) a moving source (electron in orbital).

Physics news on Phys.org
neilparker62 said:
Here is the number for the measured frequency for hydrogen 1s to 2s transition:

2 466 061 413 187 035 Hz
To make a comparison with calculations, you need to put an uncertainty on that. For instance, the value used in calculating the Rydberg constant for the CODATA 2010 is from Fischer et al.,

2 466 061 413 187.080(34) kHz

which is not as precise as implied by the number you wrote, which appears to be precise to one hertz.
neilparker62 said:
By way of interest, what is our most accurate theoretical calculation of this number?
The best I could find after a quick search dates back a bit, and the uncertainty then was at the kHz level. I don't know what the current status is.

neilparker62 said:
I've tried the ordinary Bohr formula and it is only accurate to about 4 places.
You have to introduce relativistic corrections, such has hyperfine interaction, as well as QED corrections, such as the Lamb shift.

neilparker62 said:
I'm also wondering if there is any Doppler frequency shift factor involved in the theoretical formula. Because the light emanates from (I presume) a moving source (electron in orbital).
First, these are electronic bound states, so the electron does not "move." Second, it is not the electron that emits radiation, but rather the combination of the electron and the proton (nucleus). Calculations are made in the reference frame of the center of mass of the atom, and as such correspond to the frequency of light emitted by an atom at rest with respect to the lab frame.

Many thanks for your very comprehensive answers to my query. The reference for the number I quoted is:

http://edoc.ub.uni-muenchen.de/13943/2/Parthey_Christian.pdf

Do I take it that because of the 'bound state' one does not consider the recoil energy of the electron either in the calculation of transition energy and hence of emission frequency. In my simple way I imagined that within the context of the system, the electron would have independent freedom of movement in any direction which did not change its distance from the nucleus fixed by kq^2/r^2 = mv^2/r. And that the photon would emit in a random direction so some proportion of the emissions would impart energy to the electron rather than to the system as a whole. This (very small) energy would need to be deducted from transition energy to give hf for the emitted photon.

neilparker62 said:
The reference for the number I quoted is:

http://edoc.ub.uni-muenchen.de/13943/2/Parthey_Christian.pdf
The uncertainty there is 10 Hz, of the same order of magnitude as the reference I gave.

neilparker62 said:
Do I take it that because of the 'bound state' one does not consider the recoil energy of the electron either in the calculation of transition energy and hence of emission frequency. In my simple way I imagined that within the context of the system, the electron would have independent freedom of movement in any direction which did not change its distance from the nucleus fixed by kq^2/r^2 = mv^2/r. And that the photon would emit in a random direction so some proportion of the emissions would impart energy to the electron rather than to the system as a whole. This (very small) energy would need to be deducted from transition energy to give hf for the emitted photon.
In quantum mechanics, an electron in a bound state does not have a defined trajectory, nor is it at a fixed distance from the nucleus. It is in an orbital, and its position around the nucleus is only known probabilistically; you can picture it as a "fuzzy" cloud around the nucleus.

The entire atom will recoil from the emission of a photon. The photon frequency calculated is the central frequency of the peak that would be measured for an atom initially (i.e., before emission) at rest (with respect to the detector), considering that, because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the peak in the emission spectrum is not infinitely narrow, but has a certain width (called natural linewidth). For an actual spectrum, the peak would be even broader due to the Doppler effect.

Likes 1 person
Can you perhaps indulge a quantum mechanical ignoramus a little further ?

The principle of photon/electron interactions resulting in electron recoil (as opposed to atom recoil) is demonstrated in the Compton effect. How would the physical situation differ in that instance - is it because the electrons are considered "free or loosely bound" (ie high energy)? In which case are there 'degrees' of binding to the point where there is some transition point between atoms that can demonstrate the Compton effect and those that can't? Or just a gradual decrease in the effect until it effectively disappears altogether.

Or if I can put it a slightly different way - due to wave particle duality - is it not possible for a wave type quantity (electron in bound orbital) to demonstrate particle type properties (such as recoil) to a degree however minute that might be ?

Hope that's not a completely dumb question !

1. What is the significance of H line spectra in scientific research?

H line spectra, also known as hydrogen line spectra, is a series of spectral lines that are produced when hydrogen atoms emit light. These spectral lines are important because they provide valuable information about the energy levels of hydrogen atoms, which can be used to study the properties of matter and the behavior of atoms in different environments. H line spectra have been extensively studied and are widely used in various fields of science, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics.

2. How is the H line spectra produced?

The H line spectra is produced when the electrons in a hydrogen atom jump between different energy levels. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon of light at a specific wavelength, which corresponds to a specific spectral line. The energy levels of hydrogen atoms are determined by the quantum mechanics principles, and the resulting spectral lines are unique to hydrogen atoms.

3. What is the current state of research on H line spectra?

The current state of research on H line spectra is focused on developing more precise and accurate methods for measuring and analyzing the spectral lines. This includes advancements in spectroscopy techniques, such as high-resolution spectroscopy and laser spectroscopy, as well as theoretical studies using quantum mechanics and computational methods. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the applications of H line spectra in various fields, such as astrophysics, plasma physics, and materials science.

4. How is H line spectra used in astronomy?

H line spectra is a powerful tool in astronomy, as it can provide information about the composition, temperature, and movement of celestial objects. For example, the presence of certain spectral lines in the light emitted from stars can indicate the elements present in the star's atmosphere. Additionally, the Doppler effect, which causes a shift in the wavelength of spectral lines, can be used to determine the velocity and direction of movement of stars and galaxies.

5. What are some potential future developments in H line spectra research?

Some potential future developments in H line spectra research include the use of H line spectra in quantum information processing and communication. There is also ongoing research on using H line spectra to study the structure and behavior of atoms in extreme environments, such as in the study of nuclear fusion reactions. Additionally, advancements in technology and techniques may lead to more precise measurements of spectral lines, allowing for a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of matter.