Can i make an equation for this(practically) or is there already one

• Thread starter bunkerking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of an equation for predicting the velocity of an object based on its density and the pressure applied to it. The initial idea involves using a paintball gun as an example, but it is noted that this may not be accurate due to various factors. The conversation then shifts to the possibility of using bursts of air to propel a person in space, but it is pointed out that this would not result in a new formula. Instead, the principle of conservation of momentum is suggested as a simpler and more applicable concept.
bunkerking
i want to make an equation for science class that relates the presssure (psi) and the density of an object. I am firing paintballs from my gun at different pressures. I want to be able to predict based on the density of each paintball the velocity it will shoot at a particular psi. ex: if i am shooting at 110 psi. i get a velocity of 295. (not actual numbers, just an example.) I think that it will be some for of inverse variation, like velocity=psi/density, or something along those lines.

thanx for the assistance,
ferris

Physics news on Phys.org
They will be related, but dependent on a number of factors. The volume of air in the charge, the shape of paintballs, friction between the paintball and the barrel, barrel geometry, ambient air conditions, release mechanism, and paintball parameters will all affect your result. Finding a formula which simply relates the pressure behind the paintball to the velocity at which it fires would not be very useful, in a general sense.

Won't it depend on how long the paintball is subject to that pressure? You can determine the force acting on the ball if you know its area by F = PA, then determine the acceleration from it's mass by F=ma, but unless you know the duration of the force then I'm not sure you can determine the final velocity this way. However, you could do this experimentally and (hopefully) get a value for the duration which you could then use as a constant by using different guns of different pressures?

There's probably an easier way...

i know that it won't be very useful...i am trying to use this a denonstration for my velocity=psi/density formula that i want to make. i am actually trying to predict the velocity of an object moved in space by a certain burst of air related to the objects density. such as a man on a space walk who would use bursts of air to propel themselves around. i want to know based on the density and or mass of the man how much pressure psi is required to move him at a desired velocity...the paintball idea was only to be an example. I am looking to do this on a fairly basic level so if it isn't perfect that is ok, i am really wondering if i am just really off base or not..

thanx again
ferris

Be careful typing things like "velocity=psi/density". You'll notice that units of pressure divided by units of density do not give units of velocity.

If you want to do this at a basic level, your idea of a space-walk thing might be much better for you. Read up on the principle of conservation of momentum, it's simple, and you can apply it to lots of things. You won't be inventing a new formula though, sorry.

1. Can I create an equation for a practical problem, or is there already one that exists?

Yes, you can create an equation for a practical problem. However, it's important to research and see if there is already an existing equation that can be applied to your problem. This will save time and ensure accuracy in your solution.

2. How do I know if there is already an existing equation for my problem?

You can search scientific databases, consult with experts in the field, or review academic literature to see if there are any existing equations that can be used for your problem. Additionally, you can also look for similar problems and see if there are any equations that have been successfully applied to them.

3. Can I modify an existing equation to fit my specific problem?

Yes, you can modify an existing equation to fit your specific problem. However, it's important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the original equation to ensure that your modifications are valid.

4. What should I consider when creating an equation for a practical problem?

When creating an equation for a practical problem, you should consider the variables involved, the relationships between those variables, and any relevant physical laws or theories. It's also important to test your equation with real-world data to ensure its accuracy.

5. Are there any software programs that can assist in creating equations for practical problems?

Yes, there are various software programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python, that can assist in creating equations for practical problems. These programs have built-in functions and tools for solving equations and can also be used for data analysis and visualization.