Stunning Summer Vacation Photos: Starry Skies, Thunderstorms, and Perfect Waves

In summary, a thread was started for people to share their vacation photos, with one user sharing a composite shot of the sky, thunderstorm, ocean, and people looking for ghost crabs. They also shared photos of their attempt to capture the perfect wave with reflections in the water. Other users complimented the starry sky photos and moved the conversation to a different forum.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I thought I'd start a thread for people to post any good pics they took on summer vacation. Here's mine- a few of the starry sky:

trails_zps9ef6f179.jpg

15_whole_rectilinear_zps169b5bf3.jpg

16_fov4_filtered_zpsc9772fe0.jpg

A composite shot of (from the top) the sky (with Air Force fighter jet), a thunderstorm, the ocean, and people looking for ghost crabs:

ResultofDSC01296_filtered_zps006b1c98.jpg

and my ongoing attempt to get the perfect wave- these were taken in the morning, while the sun was low. I like the mirror appearance of the water (you can see multiple reflections in one of the images):

DSC100063_zps93e2eeba.jpg

DSC100062_zpscc56b5f1.jpg

Your turn!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Moved this to Astrophoto forum to get more replies. Nice photos of the stars Andy!

Great photos! Love the Milky Way shots and the star trails.

Very nice! Love the shots of the Milky Way!

1. How can I capture the stars in my summer vacation photos?

To capture the stars in your summer vacation photos, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a remote shutter release. Set your camera to a long exposure and use the remote shutter release to prevent camera shake. Experiment with different shutter speeds and ISO settings to find the perfect balance for your desired effect.

2. How can I capture the power and beauty of a thunderstorm in my photos?

Capturing a thunderstorm in your photos can be challenging, but the key is to plan ahead and be prepared. Find a safe and elevated location to shoot from, and use a tripod to keep your camera steady. Adjust your camera settings to a faster shutter speed and lower ISO to capture the lightning strikes. Experiment with different angles and compositions to capture the full intensity of the storm.

3. What is the best time of day to take photos of perfect waves during a summer vacation?

The best time of day to take photos of perfect waves during a summer vacation is during the golden hour, which is the hour after sunrise or before sunset. This is when the light is soft and warm, creating a beautiful glow on the waves. It is also a good time to capture the contrast between the dark storm clouds and the vibrant colors of the sky and water.

4. How can I make my summer vacation photos stand out and look professional?

To make your summer vacation photos stand out and look professional, pay attention to composition, lighting, and editing. Use the rule of thirds to create visually appealing compositions, and try to incorporate leading lines or interesting foreground elements. Make use of natural lighting and the golden hour for the best results. Finally, use photo editing software to enhance the colors and contrast of your photos for a professional look.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when taking photos during a summer vacation?

Yes, there are some safety precautions you should take when taking photos during a summer vacation. Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when shooting in natural environments like beaches or mountains. Take precautions to protect your equipment from water or extreme weather. And finally, make sure to follow any rules or guidelines for photography in certain locations, such as national parks or private property.