Economics or Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which major to pursue in university: mechanical engineering or economics/political science. They are interested in engineering due to their fascination with technology and the potential for a stable and financially secure career. However, they are concerned about the competitive admission requirements and their own strengths in math and physics. On the other hand, they are also interested in economics for the potential for a political career and their enjoyment of social studies and business management. Ultimately, they are seeking a career that they love, whether it is in engineering or economics.
Vade
Hey, this is my first post on physicsforum but I've read a lot on this website and the people here seem really insightful so I thought I would give it a try.

I have a delimma, I'm in my last year of high school and am deciding which major to go into at the university of Alberta up here in Canada. After spending countless hours researching future careers I finally decided I want to get a degree in mechanical engineering or economics.

Reasons for ME: I'm one of those guys who were introduced into engineering through ironman haha I know. I'm really interested in engineering for the reasons of having a stable and financially secure life along with a career I enjoy. Since I was little I've always like taking apart gadgets most oft unsuccessfuly putting them back together. But the prospect of creating and improving pieces of technology like tablets and computers (Which I guess would fall into Electrical Engineering) and eventually bigger and more ambitious projects seems really cool. Plus the money as a bonus is really good. If I do end up doing ME I plan to excel in it and not work at a cubicle or managing a factory. I'm ambitious you see.

Pros:
I live next door to a respected Engineering school with an amazing coop program which will garuntee me a job out of uni
I am prepared to study long and hard (haha) hours as a student
From what I see, I think I would enjoy my job, something most people don't

Cons:
The uni I'm going to has a very competitive engineering program and a 85% minimum non garunteed admission
I am not strong in math and physics although Si enjoy the subjects but can do well if I apply myself (little Distractions)
I don't want to work so hard to realize in my fourth year that I hate engineering, didnt get to learn what I wanted to and wasted time

Reasons for Econ: The only reason I plan to take econ and most probably a polisci major along with French lessons is for a political career. Politics has always been a great fascination of mine. In my head as a child my dream job was to become the primeminster haha. Going to conferences, discussing ways to solve problems in my constituents, meeting foreign dignitaries and being payed to travel while also having a place in the history books however small and having not to worry about finances is very appealing to me.

Pros:
I'm a natural leader, have charisma and as you can tell am a bit too prideful
Social studies was by best class so far as of marks, understanding and enjoyment
Business and economic management interests me
I can get into these programs easily at my university
I know some small time politicians that could get me a small job and advice
Love politics
I want to help people

Cons:
Too idealistic
May end up with desk job (such is the life of the social sciences)
Be broke poor if I am not successful
Hate the job with the realization that all I do us just meet people and talk about cr@p while not not actually trying to solve anything
Getting stuck in bureaucracy
Too stressful

I know this isn't enough information so I will try to answer any questions of more detail is required. Thanks for all those who answered my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Despite the fact that I chose engineering, I don't have any hard and fast suggestions for you. Both fields can provide you with a good living. If you play your cards right as an economist, you might even rise to CFO in some company.

Engineers can do just as well. Don't get into any endeavor just because it makes a comfortable living. Get into it because you love it. If you love politics, if you love the notion of setting economic policy or interpreting it for others, then Economics is for you.

Personally, I chose engineering because I was fascinated with radios. I wanted to build them. I was amazed that it is possible to communicate with spacecraft riding gravity wells on a slingshot past other planets. That fascination never dies.

But if playing with bigger/faster/smaller/powerful toys isn't your thing, then by all means pursue something else.

What is the difference between economics and mechanical engineering?

Economics is a social science that focuses on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. It deals with the study of how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions regarding the allocation of resources. On the other hand, mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. It applies principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create and maintain mechanical systems.

What are the career opportunities in economics?

Economics offers a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Some of the popular career options include economists, financial analysts, market research analysts, budget analysts, and management consultants. Graduates with an economics degree can also pursue careers in banking, finance, government, and research institutions.

How does studying mechanical engineering benefit society?

Mechanical engineering plays a crucial role in improving the quality of life for society. It involves designing and developing machines, systems, and structures that make our daily lives easier and more efficient. Mechanical engineers work on projects that range from creating renewable energy sources to designing medical devices. They also contribute to developing new technologies that improve transportation, communication, and manufacturing processes.

Can someone with a background in economics pursue a career in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a background in economics to pursue a career in mechanical engineering. However, they may need to acquire additional technical skills and knowledge through further education or training. Some relevant fields that economics graduates can branch into in the field of mechanical engineering include industrial economics, energy economics, and engineering management.

What are the key skills needed to succeed in economics or mechanical engineering?

Some of the key skills needed to succeed in economics include analytical and critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. In mechanical engineering, essential skills include technical knowledge, creativity, attention to detail, and project management. Both fields also require a strong foundation in math and the ability to work well with others in a team.