Open threads and advanced search

• Complaint
  • Thread starter PhysicalArch
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of reopening closed threads on the PhysicalForums and the reasons for their closure. It is mentioned that most closed threads are due to inactivity and the fear of necroposting. The conversation also discusses the idea of asking a mentor for permission to reopen a thread, rather than the members involved in the previous discussion. The benefits and drawbacks of reopening a thread are also mentioned, as well as the possibility of having a less strict locking policy. The conversation ends with a welcome to a new member and a request to send a specific thread to the mentor's forum for further discussion.
PhysicalArch
Hi every one! How do you do? This is my first post on PhysicalForums.

:approve:
I got one quick main question. Is there a way to search only open threads?

I feel like I could contribute to some discussions on this forum, that is why I registered, but all the main relevant threads are closed.
Is there a way to reopen a thread? Whom should I ask to do that?

Thanks for reading this. Have fun

-PhysicalArch

Physics news on Phys.org
Most closed threads are those that were inactive for over two years - lack of activity typically means nobody is interested in continuing the discussion, it is also quite likely most of the people originally involved already left the forum. Threads are closed to avoid necroposting which is what you want to do.

If you really feel like you have something valuable to add you can report the thread and explain why you think reopening it and restarting an old discussion makes sense. Don't be surprised if we don't agree with you :wink:

Likes 1 person
I guess it would make sense to discuss the reopening with those involved in previous discussion.

I understand that rules like these are necessary to keep threads clean and information clear. But the fact that most threads are closed can turn new people away. New people may come with new ideas that are beneficial to discussion, don't you think?

Borek gave you the correct answer, if you wish to know if a topic from a locked thread is suitable for discussion, you would need to ask a mentor, not the members in the old locked thread. The thread may have been locked because the topic was against our rules, there are many reasons a thread is locked.

What you do is start a new thread if there's a question about it and reference/link that old thread.

dlgoff said:
What you do is start a new thread if there's a question about it and reference/link that old thread.
I would only agree if there was no reason given for the thread being closed. If a reason is given, it is against the rules to re-start a locked thread without approval.

Even old threads that were closed due to age and may not show a reason may no longer meet our rules.

Topics in closed threads are likely to be ones that appear in more recent threads (assuming they weren't closed for being banned topics) so if you have an interest in a topic, do a forum search and look for recent open threads.

Evo said:
Borek gave you the correct answer, if you wish to know if a topic from a locked thread is suitable for discussion, you would need to ask a mentor, not the members in the old locked thread. The thread may have been locked because the topic was against our rules, there are many reasons a thread is locked.

In case the thread got locked because of inactivity, I don't see how asking mentor would be better than asking those involved in discussion.
As I understand this kind of locking occurs to protect from superficial posts that are not beneficial for discussion at its current depth. Those involved would be more informed about what would be better for progressing discussion, don't you think?

Does reason for locking gets registered somewhere?

As for starting new thread.. It has obvious drawbacks.
  • There will be a lot of superficial information duplicated.
  • Topic gets clustered.
  • Knowledgeable people from older threats get cut out from discussion
  • Persons of new thread has limited access to relevant conclusions from old threads

What I essentially argue for here is less strict locking policy. Something like locking only if something goes wrong.
Lock only if thread gets deadposts or something else goes wrong beyond some point. Then from there we can refine this way of protecting threads.
Closing tread after some arbitrary time just because it lost interest in this forum doesn't seem like evidence based solution. Why are threads closed after that time? would different amount of time be more efficient? Maybe even another way to choose which treads to lock.
In fact closing threads like this could do some harm for discussion. Knowledgeable people might not get involved simply because its not easy enough.

Thanks for reading. :smile: its fun

PhysicalArch said:
In case the thread got locked because of inactivity, I don't see how asking mentor would be better than asking those involved in discussion.
As I understand this kind of locking occurs to protect from superficial posts that are not beneficial for discussion at its current depth. Those involved would be more informed about what would be better for progressing discussion, don't you think?
No, the mentors know why it was locked and if further discussion is allowed.

Does reason for locking gets registered somewhere?
It is usually the last post in the thread.

I see you are new to our forum. Welcome, please read our guidelines which can be found at the top of every page under "site information". Also, some sub-forums have additional rules that are pinned at the top of each front page for that sub-forum.

Evo said:
No, the mentors know why it was locked and if further discussion is allowed.

As I understand, restarting productive discussion requires understanding of context and depth of actual problems being discussed. Is there reason to believe that 1 person, possibly uninterested in topic, would make better decision than those interested and already involved? No.
But then again there is nothing preventing me from talking to those involved in discussion and maybe then asking the mentor together.

Can any mentor unlock any thread or do have some specific threads that you are responsible for?

Thanks for warm welcome. I'm indeed very new to this forum but hopefully will stay involved for long time. I'm not physicist or anything like that myself. Just curious about it and similar things.
Cheers

Why don't you send one of the threads you are interested into the mentor's forum by hitting the report button on the last post and we'll look at it because right now we have absolutely no idea what kind of discussions you are looking at.

Perhaps a standard statement should be copied and pasted into the last post of a thread when it is closed by a mentor. This would be helpful for people who google into the thread.

Personally, the only problem I have with necro posts is that I usually don't realize that it's an old thread. This problem could be eliminated by listing the date of the first post along with the name of the thread starter. Many other forums already do this. I realize that the date is shown in the first post, but if it's a long thread I may only look at the date of the last post.

Evo said:
Why don't you send one of the threads you are interested into the mentor's forum by hitting the report button on the last post and we'll look at it because right now we have absolutely no idea what kind of discussions you are looking at.

Ok, I will do that when I am ready :)

Evo said:
I would only agree if there was no reason given for the thread being closed. If a reason is given, it is against the rules to re-start a locked thread without approval.

Even old threads that were closed due to age and may not show a reason may no longer meet our rules.
Oh for sure if a threat is locked for a rules violation. I guess I was thinking more about the engineering forums. Maybe berkeman will chime in, but if I remember correctly, he was okay with posting a link to old threads with pertinent information for the discussion at hand.

It just depends, if it's in engineering and someone wants to ask a specific question about a problem discussed in a closed thread, then that should be ok.

If it's in physics and a person believes they have a new theory that will solve what was discussed in an old closed thread. No.

PhysicalArch said:
Can any mentor unlock any thread or do have some specific threads that you are responsible for?

All mentors have the technical ability to close and reopen threads and delete posts in any forum. However, different mentors have expertise in different areas. Therefore the best way to make a request visible to an appropriate mentor is to "send" it to all of us, by using the "Report" button as Evo recommended. Then we can easily discuss it among ourselves if necessary.

PhysicalArch said:
I guess it would make sense to discuss the reopening with those involved in previous discussion.I understand that rules like these are necessary to keep threads clean and information clear. But the fact that most threads are closed can turn new people away. New people may come with new ideas that are beneficial to discussion, don't you think?
I totally agree. Also if you do close a thread, delete it so that it does not pose frustration to those who would like to comment on it.

There are so many sites out there that claim to be open to original ideas but that use such tactics to censor discussions they do not support or agree with, which is hardly an action that supports critical thinking..

james1951 said:
I totally agree. Also if you do close a thread, delete it so that it does not pose frustration to those who would like to comment on it.
The threads are still useful to readers. If threads are not useful (e. g. the first post violates the forum rules), then we delete them, but deleting interesting, good discussions just because they are old would be a waste.

I found two threads about what thoughts are and I am interested in pursuing some of the many ramifications of the composition of or process involved in forming a thought but both threads were locked. I will now do some research on google and come back and post a new thread explaining what thoughts are and what I find interesting or even fascinating about that information.

james1951 said:
I found two threads about what thoughts are and I am interested in pursuing some of the many ramifications of the composition of or process involved in forming a thought but both threads were locked. I will now do some research on google and come back and post a new thread explaining what thoughts are and what I find interesting or even fascinating about that information.
That's fine, but please be sure your sources are legitimate ones and that you are not proposing personal theories. That's how threads get locked WITHOUT being old :smile:

james1951 said:
There are so many sites out there that claim to be open to original ideas but that use such tactics to censor discussions they do not support or agree with, which is hardly an action that supports critical thinking..
If you think this is one such site, it would behoove you to read the rules here. This forum is not about discussing new ideas, it's about helping people understand mainstream science. So, If you have a brilliant new idea about a physical theory that no one has ever thought of before and you think this is not the right place to discuss it, you are absolutely right.

Wow. Just what I wanted to do. Join a forum site where they have no interest in my personal theories and will close a thread I start where I dare to share them. I see there are no critical thinkers here so maybe I should not be wasting my time.

PhysicalArch said:
Because they are the only ones that can unlock it...

james1951 said:
Wow. Just what I wanted to do. Join a forum site where they have no interest in my personal theories and will close a thread I start where I dare to share them. I see there are no critical thinkers here so maybe I should not be wasting my time.
I see you've never read our rules. You would have known what was accepted if you had.

Most of the guidelines are common sense and basic courtesy. Other special guidelines are the following:

• We wish to discuss mainstream science.That means only topics that can be found in textbooks or that have been published in reputable journals.
Mission Statement:

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.

Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Discussion of theories that appear only on personal web sites, self-published books, etc.
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
  • Attempts to promote or resuscitate theories that have been discredited or superseded (e.g. Lorentz ether theory); this does not exclude discussion of those theories in a purely historical context
  • Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
  • Mixing science and religion, e.g. using religious doctrines in support of scientific arguments or vice versa.
  • Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal

Links to web sites that fall in the categories listed above will be removed.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

Thread closed as the questions have been answered.

Likes StevieTNZ

1. What is an open thread?

An open thread is a discussion forum or message board where users can post comments, questions, or thoughts on a specific topic. Unlike a closed thread, which has a designated topic and limited discussion, an open thread allows for more flexibility and encourages a wider range of conversation.

2. How do I use advanced search?

To use advanced search, you can typically find a link or button labeled "Advanced Search" on the search page of a website or search engine. This will take you to a form where you can input specific search criteria, such as keywords, date range, or specific forums or categories to search within. Advanced search can help you narrow down your results and find more specific information.

3. What is the benefit of using open threads?

The main benefit of using open threads is the opportunity for open and diverse discussion. It allows for a wider range of perspectives and ideas to be shared on a topic, and can lead to a more engaging and informative conversation. Open threads can also foster a sense of community and collaboration among users.

4. Can I post anonymously on an open thread?

It depends on the specific open thread and website. Some open threads may allow anonymous posting, while others may require users to create an account or log in with their social media profiles. It's important to read the rules and guidelines of the open thread before posting anonymously.

5. Are there any limitations to using advanced search?

While advanced search can be a useful tool for finding specific information, it does have its limitations. For example, if you input too many search criteria, you may end up with no results. Additionally, advanced search may not be able to access all of the content on a website or search engine, so it's possible that some relevant information may be missed.