Dealing with Information Overload in Physics

• Thread starter wintercarver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, when someone gets into a situation where they have too much knowledge to keep up with, they either try and dump some of it or store it in folders on their computer and read a few PDFs on a rainy day.
wintercarver
hi all,

years ago when i first got into physics i imagined that many years down the line i would be starved for resources. I'm going to be a senior undergraduate next year and it seems to me that the further along i get in the field of physics the more information i come across. and not just information but many many resources. perhaps I'm a bit too eager, but i find myself worried at times when I'm thinking about plasma physics, quantum, gravitation, classical, e&m and all these little tidbits from all over that i want to try and read and learn about, not to mention the mathematical topics. i hop online and look around, discover physics forums and have yet another huge list of resources dumped on me. in a panicked fashion i save many bookmarks and create nice organized folders on my computer for all the PDF documents i come across, free e-books, papers, etc. i have a feeling as the time goes on this information will only continue to overwhelm me. i feel that in some respect this is a serious problem, it's hard to concentrate on one topic and i feel that it is necessary when getting down to business to really focus on a topic and get involved. I'm wondering if anyone has similar thoughts to these and if there are any suggestions in terms of working with this information overload.

-wintercarver

Physics news on Phys.org
When I get into a situation like that, I dump some of it. I don't want to, but I'm better off when I do. I feel better afterwards.

If I can't do that, I store it in folders on my computer, and read a few PDFs on a rainy day. :biggrin:

Mk said:
If I can't do that, I store it in folders on my computer, and read a few PDFs on a rainy day. :biggrin:

funny you mention that -- i have a folder on my desktop named "things to read" which i place pdfs i can't bear to dump. i pick them up on my moments of non-direction :)

I suggest you to avoid html links and other unstructured resources but just use pdfs or preferably printed books.

Mk said:
When I get into a situation like that, I dump some of it. I don't want to, but I'm better off when I do. I feel better afterwards.

What's a rainy day?

franznietzsche said:
What's a rainy day?

a couple minutes of free time.

Just take everything one step at a time. Eventually you will be able to cover everything and will find that things begin to get a little redundant. You will probably then look at the style of the presentation of the material.

If you can take some moral from my side:

I am really into physics in a way that i always want to keep my knowledge uptodate.I also sometimes end up getting stuck with so much of information that sometimes I wonder at nights that 'whats the use?'.

Now what I do is that.I just take one good book (presently reading feynman from last 2 years ) or for that matter one good .pdf file or 1 online e-book and read it thoroughly , try my inferences on materials, sort my own questions, discuss my eagerness on PF and i am always regular with my physics.

I’m a software developer, but there’s a similar desire to keep up to date on all the latest languages and stuff. Go to a big bookstore and see how many languages there are nowadays! And job seekers always want specific ones. In my 20s I subscribed to a bunch of computer magazines and read them from cover to cover. Then as I got older I realized that even if I knew twice as much, say, I’d get paid the same; there’s only so much knowledge that can be used in the daily grind. Knowledge for knowledge’s sake can be fun, but there’s a lot more to life and you can get too wrapped up in your profession. So now I learn something new job-wise only if required, and otherwise I leave work at work. When learning something new, I focus on the goal so that little time is wasted. I generally don’t care about anything beyond the goal. I probably know only 1% of what there is to know about software development; that’s enough it seems.

1. How can I effectively manage the large amount of information in physics?

One way to manage information overload in physics is to prioritize the information you need. Focus on understanding the core concepts and theories, and then move on to more specific details. Also, try to organize your notes and materials in a logical and structured way to make them easier to reference later on.

2. What are some common sources of information overload in physics?

Some common sources of information overload in physics include constantly changing and evolving theories, a vast amount of research and literature to keep up with, and the need to constantly update and refine existing knowledge.

3. How can I stay updated on new developments and research in physics without becoming overwhelmed?

One approach is to follow trusted sources, such as reputable journals and websites, and to set aside specific times for reading and staying updated. It may also be helpful to focus on a specific area of interest within physics, rather than trying to keep up with all developments in the field.

4. What are some strategies for retaining and applying the information I learn in physics?

One strategy is to actively engage with the material by asking questions, making connections to real-world examples, and practicing problem-solving. Additionally, regularly reviewing and summarizing the information can help with retention. It may also be useful to discuss and explain the concepts to others, as this can solidify your understanding.

5. How can I balance the need for depth and breadth of knowledge in physics?

Finding a balance between depth and breadth of knowledge in physics can be challenging. One approach is to focus on a few specific areas of interest in depth, while also keeping a general understanding of other areas. Prioritizing your learning objectives and regularly reassessing your goals can also help with finding a balance.