Why Can't We Hear Screams Underwater?

• Thread starter heaven eye
  • Start date
In summary, the question is why we cannot hear sound from inside water when outside. The answer is because sound is transmitted differently between different density mediums, making it difficult to hear underwater sounds above water.
heaven eye
well, I have a question that i didn't find its answer

the question is :- why i can't hear the screaming inside water from outside ?

I mean if there was a sound inside the water then why people can't hear it from outside

is it the difference in density
or is it the frequency
or the sound fracture

actually I am so confused

I wish to find the answer

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do that. Try shouting real loud under water, then the person above water can hear you (although much softer) the other way around works the same way.

Sound is being transmitted, but it's hard to transmit the vibration of the water to the air. That's why it gets damped out a lot.

thank you so much mr.galileo
you mean its because transmiting the vibration between two different density

1. Why can't we hear screams underwater?

Sound travels differently through air and water. In air, sound waves travel through vibrations in the air molecules, while in water, sound waves travel through vibrations in the water molecules. The density of water is much higher than air, which makes it more difficult for sound waves to travel and be heard. This is why sounds are much quieter and muffled underwater.

2. Can any sound be heard underwater?

Yes, sound can still be heard underwater, but it is much different from how we hear it on land. Low frequency sounds, such as whale songs, can travel for long distances underwater. However, high frequency sounds, such as screams, will be muffled and difficult to hear.

3. Why do some animals like whales and dolphins communicate underwater?

Since low frequency sounds can travel further underwater, it is more efficient for animals like whales and dolphins to communicate through sounds. These sounds can travel for long distances and help them communicate with other animals of their species.

4. How does water pressure affect sound underwater?

The deeper you go underwater, the higher the water pressure becomes. This pressure can affect how sound waves travel, making them weaker and harder to hear. As a result, sounds will become increasingly muffled the deeper you go.

5. Is it possible to hear screams underwater with specialized equipment?

Yes, with the use of specialized equipment such as hydrophones, it is possible to hear screams and other high frequency sounds underwater. These devices are designed to amplify and filter out background noise, allowing us to hear sounds that would otherwise be difficult to hear underwater.