Electric n magnetic field vectors

In summary, the relation between the electric and magnetic field is described by Maxwell's equations. The electric field vector, e = E exp[i(kx-wt)]j, has a corresponding magnetic field vector, which can be found by solving Maxwell's equations. The magnetic field is associated with a change in the electric field over time, and the direction of propagation is also a factor in determining the magnetic field.
benitta
what is the relation between the electric and magnetic field ?
if the electric field vector is e = E exp[i(kx-wt)]j what is the magnetic field vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi benitta,

I don't believe there is such a relation.

However, the maxwell equations tell us that there is a magnetic field associated with a change in electric field [itex]\partial\vec{E}/\partial{t}[/itex].

benitta said:
what is the relation between the electric and magnetic field ?
if the electric field vector is e = E exp[i(kx-wt)]j what is the magnetic field vector?
All you need to do is solve Maxwell's equations. See
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/em/mawell_eq.htm

Pete

Hi again,

Sorry I misread your question and missed the "t term" in there.

In the case of a plane wave you can find B if you know the direction of propagation.

thanks pmb phy

What are electric and magnetic field vectors?

Electric and magnetic field vectors are mathematical representations of the strength and direction of electric and magnetic fields, respectively. They are used to describe the behavior and interactions of electrically charged particles and magnetic materials.

How are electric and magnetic field vectors related?

Electric and magnetic field vectors are related through Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their sources, such as charges and currents. In essence, a changing electric field creates a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field creates an electric field.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic field vectors?

The main difference between electric and magnetic field vectors is their direction. Electric field vectors point in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience, while magnetic field vectors point in the direction that a north pole of a magnet would be pulled or pushed. Additionally, electric field vectors are created by electric charges, while magnetic field vectors are created by moving charges (i.e. currents).

How are electric and magnetic field vectors measured?

Electric and magnetic field vectors are measured using instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, and gaussmeters. These instruments can measure the strength and direction of the fields at a given point in space.

What are some real-world applications of electric and magnetic field vectors?

Electric and magnetic field vectors have many real-world applications, including in technologies such as electric motors, generators, transformers, and antennas. They also play a crucial role in understanding and controlling the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).