Work and energy (Using calculus to solve)

In summary, the conversation discusses three problems involving work and force. The first problem involves calculating the work done in winding up a cable of a specific weight and length. The second problem involves a monkey climbing a hanging chain and calculating the work it does. The third problem involves the force of attraction exerted by the Earth on a body of mass, and includes calculations for weight and work required to lift the body to a certain altitude. Various formulas and integrals are discussed and applied to solve the problems.
gigi9
Someone please help me to do these problems below...show me what foruma/ integral to use... Thank you very much.
1) A cable 600 ft long that weighs 4 lb/ft is hanging from a windlass. How much work is done in winding it up?
2) A 5-lbs monkey is attached to the end of a 30-ft hanging chain that weighs 0.2 lb/ft. It climbs the chain to the top. How much work does it do?
3) If R is the radius of the earth(about 4000 mi) and g is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth, then the force of attraction exerted by the Earth on a body of mass m is F=mgR^2/r^2, where r is the distance from m to the center of the earth. If this body weighs 100lb at the surface of the earth, what does it weigh at an altitude of 1000mi? How much work is required to lift it fromt eh surface to an altitude of 1000 mi?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by gigi9
Someone please help me to do these problems below...show me what foruma/ integral to use... Thank you very much.
1) A cable 600 ft long that weighs 4 lb/ft is hanging from a windlass. How much work is done in winding it up?
2) A 5-lbs monkey is attached to the end of a 30-ft hanging chain that weighs 0.2 lb/ft. It climbs the chain to the top. How much work does it do?
3) If R is the radius of the earth(about 4000 mi) and g is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth, then the force of attraction exerted by the Earth on a body of mass m is F=mgR^2/r^2, where r is the distance from m to the center of the earth. If this body weighs 100lb at the surface of the earth, what does it weigh at an altitude of 1000mi? How much work is required to lift it fromt eh surface to an altitude of 1000 mi?

#1: ΣW = ∫F dx = m∫a dx = m∫dv/dt * v*dt = m∫v dv. Since it's a definate integral from 0 to 600, it = 4[(600)^2/2] - 0.

&Simga;W = 120000J.

#3: You sure it's F = mgR^2/r^2? Not the universal gravitation equation? m,g,R,r are all constants... and none of them can be integrated

Unless you use I = ∫r^2 dm...

Originally posted by gigi9

I'm going to take a swing at this one. I will put the force as this:
F = 5 + (0.2)x/2
I'm thinking this is the formula because the weight of the monkey is a constant 5 and the length of the chain is only half of the height he climbs. If he climbs up the full 30ft , only 15ft of chain will hang from him.
F = 5 + 0.1x

E = ç5 + 0.1x dx
E = 5x + 0.1x^2/2
E = 5x + 0.05x^2
E = 5(30) + 0.05(30)^2
E = 195ft-lbs

I don't know the imperial system so I don't know what your unit for energy is.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
#1: ΣW = ∫F dx = m∫a dx = m∫dv/dt * v*dt = m∫v dv. Since it's a definate integral from 0 to 600, it = 4[(600)^2/2] - 0.
Huh? Yes, you got the "right answer" but who knows how. :smile:

Try this:
W = ∫F ds , where ds is the displacement.
The force at any point is the weight of the cable that's left hanging. Call the hanging length "x". (xi= 600; xf= 0) Thus:
F = λ x , where λ is the weight per unit length.
How does ds relate to dx? As ds goes up, dx goes down (the hanging length gets shorter): so, ds = -dx. Thus,
W = ∫F ds = - λ∫x dx (from xi to xf) = λ∫x dx (from xf to xi) = λxi2/2

Note to gigi9: Give the problems a try before asking for help! Then the help would make more sense. (Also, maybe you'll get more help in the Homework Help section.)

1. What is work and how is it related to energy?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. In other words, work is done when a force is applied to an object and that object is moved in the direction of the force. This transfer of energy is what causes the object to gain or lose energy, and thus work and energy are closely related.

2. How can calculus be used to solve work and energy problems?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of rates of change. In the context of work and energy, calculus can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force over a specific distance or time interval. By using derivatives and integrals, we can determine the work done by a force at any given point and the total work done over a specific interval.

3. What is the formula for calculating work using calculus?

The formula for calculating work using calculus is W = ∫F(x)dx, where W represents work, F(x) is the varying force applied to an object, and dx represents the distance over which the force is applied. This formula is derived from the definition of work as the product of force and displacement, and the use of integration to calculate the total work done over a specific interval.

4. Can calculus also be used to solve energy conservation problems?

Yes, calculus can also be used to solve energy conservation problems. By applying the principles of conservation of energy, we can use calculus to analyze the transfer of energy between different forms and systems. For example, we can use calculus to determine the potential and kinetic energy of an object at different points in its motion, and how these energies change over time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using calculus to solve work and energy problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using calculus to solve work and energy problems. For instance, engineers use calculus to design machines and structures that can efficiently transfer and utilize energy. Physicists use calculus to study the motion and behavior of objects in relation to forces and energy. Calculus is also used in fields such as economics and finance to analyze the dynamics of work and energy in markets and economic systems.