Stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite in water or PBS

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of synthesizing nano-hydroxyapatite particles and the challenges of dispersing them in water or PBS. The individual has tried various methods, such as sonication and adding acid groups to the surfaces of the particles, but has not been successful. They are seeking advice on potential methods to achieve a stable suspension and have found success using low MW polyacrylic acid.
yesbeckng
I have synthesized nano-hydroxyapatite particles via wet chemistry precipitation of a Ca-PO4 solution. In water and PBS, these crystals tend to clump together in aggrigates up to 20-30 microns. The only way that I can get them to disperse is to sonicate them in either Hexafluoro-2-propanol or Dimethylformamide. I have also tried adding acid groups to the surfaces of the particles, such as 12 aminododecanoic acid and dodecanedioic acid, but so far all of my attempts have been unsuccessful. Are there any simple methods to get a well dispersed solution of nano-hydroxyapatite in water or PBS? I was thinking I would continue to try adding other molecules to the surface of the crystals, but I am unsure which direction to go in. Any insight would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thank you for the reply. Since creating this thread I've tried various other methods and finally created a stable suspension using low MW polyacrylic acid. I have not had time to fully characterize the crystal suspension, but if my work is published I will post a link so that others can know the exact methods.

To answer your questions...

ChemDoctor said:
Is it necessary to have it in water or PBS?

The application requires that the solvent not denature proteins or be cytotoxic, so most likely yes.

ChemDoctor said:
What method did you follow to cover the surface by long-chain acids?

I made a solution of CaNO3 and NaH2PO4, heated it to 85C and then added NH3-H20 which caused crystal formation. After a minute, the acid was added to the solution. This method has been previously published.

1. What is the purpose of stabilizing nano-hydroxyapatite in water or PBS?

The purpose of stabilizing nano-hydroxyapatite in water or PBS is to prevent the particles from aggregating or clumping together, which can reduce their effectiveness and hinder their ability to disperse evenly in the solution.

2. How is stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite achieved?

Stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite is achieved by using surface modification techniques, such as coating the particles with a layer of surfactant or polymer, to create repulsive forces between the particles and keep them evenly distributed in the solution.

3. What are the benefits of stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite?

Stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite allows for better control and manipulation of the particles, making them more suitable for various applications such as drug delivery, tissue engineering, and as a biomaterial in medical devices.

4. Can stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite be achieved in other solvents besides water or PBS?

Yes, stable dispersion of nano-hydroxyapatite can also be achieved in other solvents such as organic solvents or biological fluids, but the methods used may differ depending on the specific solvent and its properties.

5. How can the stability of nano-hydroxyapatite dispersion be evaluated?

The stability of nano-hydroxyapatite dispersion can be evaluated through various techniques such as dynamic light scattering, zeta potential analysis, and sedimentation studies. These methods can measure the size, charge, and settling behavior of the particles in solution.