Low-pass filter with no inductance, and voltage output over a resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a circuit design for a first-order low-pass filter using only resistors and capacitors. The output voltage must be measured over a resistor or a component in parallel with a resistor. The proposed solution is a circuit with a resistor R1 in series with the input and a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C in the output. This is confirmed to be a low-pass filter with the cutoff frequency at (R1 + R2)/(R1 R2). There is also a discussion about taking the output voltage from across the lower portion of the resistor.
Tetraoxygen

Homework Statement

I am supposed to find the circuit design for a first-order low-pass filter. The filter must be made of resistors and capacitors only (no inductances). Furthermore, the output voltage must be measured over a resistor or something in parallel with a resistor.

Homework Equations

Impedance for a capacitor is 1/[jwC], for a resistor is R
Voltage divider for impedances

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Attempt at following those constraints:
A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C). Note: I realize this is not a strictly low-pass filter.
Impedance over the series resistor
z1 = R1
Impedance over the parallel component
z2 = R2/[jwCR1 + 1]
Equivalent impedance
z = (R1 + R2)[jwCR1R2(1/[R1+R2) + 1]/[jwCR2+1]

As far as I can tell, this is actually a bandpass (or reject) filter with cutoff frequencies at
(R1 + R2)/(C R1 R2) and 1/(C R2).

ii) I realize I can make an RC low-pass filter (but then the output voltage is not measured over a resistor) and an RL low-pass filter (but then there is an inductor).

Please help. Or, if you know definitively that this is an impossible task, please tell me so. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tetraoxygen said:

Homework Statement

I am supposed to find the circuit design for a first-order low-pass filter. The filter must be made of resistors and capacitors only (no inductances). Furthermore, the output voltage must be measured over a resistor or something in parallel with a resistor.

Homework Equations

Impedance for a capacitor is 1/[jwC], for a resistor is R
Voltage divider for impedances

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Attempt at following those constraints:
A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C). Note: I realize this is not a strictly low-pass filter.
Impedance over the series resistor
z1 = R1
Impedance over the parallel component

z2 = R2/[jwCR1 + 1]
Recheck this!

Equivalent impedance
z = (R1 + R2)[jwCR1R2(1/[R1+R2) + 1]/[jwCR2+1]

As far as I can tell, this is actually a bandpass (or reject) filter with cutoff frequencies at
(R1 + R2)/(C R1 R2) and 1/(C R2).

ii) I realize I can make an RC low-pass filter (but then the output voltage is not measured over a resistor) and an RL low-pass filter (but then there is an inductor).

Please help. Or, if you know definitively that this is an impossible task, please tell me so. Thanks.

Your circuit (which I assume is R1 from input to output and R2||C from output to ground) is a low-pass circuit. You can reduce it to the form a/(a+b+jwC).

A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C).
Sounds okay as a LPF. It will preferentially pass lower frequencies and down to DC.

You can take the output as the voltage across that R∥C combo, or alternatively you could break that R into 2 and take output from across its lower portion.

That was a typo:
z2 should have been
R2/(jwcR2 + 1)

But really, I forgot to take:
z2/(z1+z2)

Now I have
R1/(R1 + R2)/[jwcR1R2(1/[R1+R2]) + 1]

with cutoff frequency (R1 + R2)/(R1 R2)

Thanks!

Based on the given constraints, it is not possible to design a first-order low-pass filter with only resistors and capacitors. This is because a low-pass filter requires the use of an inductor, which is not allowed in this scenario. The circuit design that was attempted in the given solution is actually a bandpass filter, which is not the desired outcome.

To design a low-pass filter with no inductance, you would need to use an active filter circuit, such as a Butterworth filter or a Sallen-Key filter. These types of filters use operational amplifiers and feedback to achieve the desired filtering effect. Alternatively, you could also use a digital filter, such as a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filter, which can be implemented using only resistors and capacitors.

In summary, it is not possible to design a first-order low-pass filter with only resistors and capacitors. You will need to use an active or digital filter to achieve this goal.

1. What is a low-pass filter with no inductance?

A low-pass filter with no inductance is a type of electronic circuit that allows low-frequency signals to pass through while blocking high-frequency signals. It is made up of only resistors and capacitors, making it simpler and less expensive compared to filters with inductors.

2. How does a low-pass filter with no inductance work?

A low-pass filter with no inductance works by using capacitors to block high-frequency signals and allow low-frequency signals to pass through. The capacitors store and release charge, effectively creating a voltage divider that attenuates high-frequency signals and allows low-frequency signals to pass through with minimal resistance.

3. What is the voltage output of a low-pass filter with no inductance?

The voltage output of a low-pass filter with no inductance is determined by the input voltage and the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. The output voltage will be lower than the input voltage and will decrease as the frequency of the input signal increases.

4. What is the purpose of using a low-pass filter with no inductance?

A low-pass filter with no inductance is commonly used in electronic circuits to remove unwanted high-frequency noise from a signal. This helps to improve the quality and accuracy of the signal, making it easier to analyze and use in various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a low-pass filter with no inductance?

One limitation of using a low-pass filter with no inductance is that it can only be used for signals with frequencies below a certain cut-off frequency. This is because at higher frequencies, the capacitors can no longer block the signal effectively, causing it to pass through the filter. Additionally, this type of filter may not be suitable for applications that require high signal amplification.