High School: Should I Drop Physics?

• Thread starter FlipMC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Highschool
In summary, it seems like this High School student is considering dropping their Physics course because they are having difficulty with the material. They are considering taking a second semester to get help with the material. If they were to do this, they would have Physics credit already earned.
FlipMC
[SOLVED] Highschool: Should I..?

Hello all. Let me introduce myself, I'm a High School Student (Grade 11 to be exact). Now, straight to the point; I was thinking of dropping my Physics subject. I know, it's a shocker. But, the reason I am dropping it is because I am having a "bit" of a problem. To start off, our teacher is, let's say, cannot speak that well in English & he's kinda strict :uhh:. And I was wondering if I could "swap" the Physics course for Math (Academic), and have Math (Applied) in my first semester, so for my second I could have Math (Academic). I'm not so sure if I can still swap subjects but I think I can drop it. Here are some information about the Physics course:

• Course title: Physics, Grade 11, University Preparation (SPH3U). Credit Value 1.0
  • Prerequisite: Science, Grade 10, Academic

It's only the second week of school and I'm having trouble with Physics. Not sure, why I'm not that good at math, probably genes :grumpy:. Anyway, last year I took Grade 10 Math (Academic) which had Algebra I & II, Trigonometry, etc. So yeah, furthermore, I noticed our teacher went straight to the work instead of reviewing some concepts? Like, he only gave us some Kinematics equations and then some problems to do. So, I can't really get help (because of family matter) or to be honest, I can't be forced to go for extra help :rofl:. I took this course because I was thinking of creating games that time :biggrin:, so I thought about Physics and how it could be used with Game Design/Programming. BUT I'm actually thinking of being Computer Programmer.

That's about it. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm you live in the GTA don't you ? lol. Because of the course code. Well to get into Computer Programming you need physics it is required for admission for University's so try to take it 2nd semester and get help on it so you can find physics much more easier.

Hope i helped!

Haha, yes I do. Anyway, that's a good idea..
You mean like get a head start/get a tutor? Then in Semester 2, it would be more easier?

You need basic physics in college in order to major in computer science. You won't need some of the advanced stuff obviously.

Is it possible for you to take Physics in a community college somewhere? That might completely void the high school physics + give you college credit way ahead.

You should be speaking with an advisor at your school.

- Warren

@ protonchain - Hm, also a good idea. Not sure where are the community colleges are located and it can't be too far from where I live. I'll check on that, thanks.

@ chroot - Haha, that's what I also had in mind. I'll ask an advisor tomorrow morning ;)

It appears to me like you have a whole shoulder load of excuses that you're carrying around to explain to yourself why you shouldn't take this class (the teacher is strict, he doesn't speak English to the level you'd like, you have bad math genes, the teacher didn't review concepts that you would have liked review on, a family matter that keeps you from getting any advice from other teachers...).

With all that in your head, I suspect that you're secretly hoping that someone will come on here and tell you that it's okay to drop the course, that if you just want to be a programmer, you don't need physics. Then, in a few years when you stumble into a road block where it appears you actually did need physics, you can blame your circumstances on bad advice.

Or do I have it wrong?

The thing is at some point we all have courses we struggle with - material that challenges us, instructors that we don't get along with, or genes that keep us from looking like David Hasselhoff. On top of that, if you shy away from this challenge, chances are, you're going to run into another one that's quite similar sooner or later and you'll be back in the same place. One of the skills that you should learn in high school is how to handle challenges like this. I'm not going to tell you what decision to make, because in the end it's your life. You have to weigh the consequences and make the decision.

But I can tell you that if you don't learn how to rise to the challenge, you're going to learn about dealing with the consequences of shrinking away.

Hmm, well said Choppy.
You gave me a really good reason to stick with it, I know we all have to face the difficult things before the fun stuff.

Thanks a lot man. Cheers.

FlipMC said:
Haha, yes I do. Anyway, that's a good idea..
You mean like get a head start/get a tutor? Then in Semester 2, it would be more easier?

like not really a tutor ..just explore the world of physics...go on this site read intro to physics threads do independent research on the WWW. Also get pointers from actual physics teacher in your school.

Thanks Maroc, I'll go ask tomorrow. HOPEFULLY, they will allow me..

Unfortunately, changes aren't allowed anymore.. So I will have to put up with it, and just found out I'm not the only one having trouble :approve: Thanks for all the help.

FlipMC said:
Unfortunately, changes aren't allowed anymore.. So I will have to put up with it, and just found out I'm not the only one having trouble :approve: Thanks for all the help.

same in my school they won't let it anymore...if your school is a semester than take it 2nd sem

1. Should I drop physics if I am struggling with the class?

Dropping a class should always be a last resort. If you are struggling with physics, it is important to first seek help from your teacher, peers, or a tutor. With persistence and determination, you may be able to improve your understanding and succeed in the class.

2. Will dropping physics affect my college admissions?

It depends on the college and the program you are applying to. Some colleges require physics as part of their admissions requirements, while others do not. It is important to research the specific admissions requirements for the colleges you are interested in.

3. Can I still take other science classes if I drop physics?

Yes, dropping physics does not necessarily mean you cannot take other science classes. However, some colleges may require physics as a prerequisite for other science classes, so it is important to consider this before dropping the class.

4. Will dropping physics affect my GPA?

Dropping a class will likely affect your GPA, as the class will appear as a "W" (withdrawal) on your transcript. However, if you are struggling in physics and your grade is significantly lower than your other classes, dropping it may actually improve your GPA.

5. What are the potential consequences of dropping physics?

Aside from the impact on your GPA and college admissions, dropping physics may also limit your options for future science-related careers or majors. It is important to consider your long-term goals before making the decision to drop the class.