What are some recommended videos about mathematics?

In summary, The conversation revolves around the topic of recommendations for interesting videos or books on mathematics. The original poster expresses a desire to hear from skilled mathematicians or physicists and their unique perspectives. However, the responses mainly suggest books over videos, with some mentioning specific book titles or websites with open lectures. The original poster is open to any topic in mathematics and is interested in finding original and deep connections between them. A warning is given that a good understanding of calculus is necessary for some of the recommended books. The conversation also discusses the benefits of lectures over books, and one recommendation is made for the Bourbaki books.
John M
Hi all,
I'd like to hear skilled mathematicians (physics otherwise) in some interesting (read: presenting potentially original point of views; but that's not necessary) videos.
What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Books.

Char. Limit said:
Books.

That's not the kind of effort I was looking for. Thanks for the seconds you took to reply anyways.
--

Yesterday I was watching a lecture by Robert May with some interesting points in quadratic equations, even though he was addressing the general public.

Honestly I was hoping more interesting people would reply to this. My post was mainly a bump, with a possible alternate explanation of "books are usually better than videos". Come on people, John M isn't the only one interested here!

Google can't, unfortunately, give motivated or valuable answers to such a question. That's exactly why I'm here, humbly asking for recommendations. :)

This "might" be helpful: http://theeducationchannel.info/

not much stuff there, he's a maths and physics tutor in London, and this is one of his many websites.

Lots of universities put open lectures online

I second books :biggrin:

Mathematics is a very broad subject, maybe you could tell us what you are particularly interested in or even what level of maths you currently know.

I like chalkboard work. There's something about watching words get written that makes it stick better.

Also, books are linear. Lectures can be nonlinear.

genericusrnme said:
I second books :biggrin:

Mathematics is a very broad subject, maybe you could tell us what you are particularly interested in or even what level of maths you currently know.

Go ahead with some books titles then. If no videos, I'll welcome books.
I can't pick up a single topic. I'd be interested in the links between them instead, ranging from number theory to analysis. What I'm looking for is some original (if possible) and deep links, but really, I love mathematics and can't just pick a single topic. :)

Pythagorean said:
Lectures can be nonlinear.

And if the lecturer keeps coherence that makes it even more pleasurable.

I'm reading Riemann's Zeta Function by H.M. Edwards right now. It's a pretty interesting book, although it's quite deep. I can usually see where most of it's coming from now that I'm on the fourth reading though.

Warning: Without a good calculus knowledge, you will. Not. Get. It.

John M said:
Go ahead with some books titles then. If no videos, I'll welcome books.
I can't pick up a single topic. I'd be interested in the links between them instead, ranging from number theory to analysis. What I'm looking for is some original (if possible) and deep links, but really, I love mathematics and can't just pick a single topic. :)

Give the Bourbaki books a go, they're pretty good (especially the first book on set theory).

1. What topics are usually covered in videos about mathematics?

Videos about mathematics cover a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and more. They can also cover specific concepts such as fractions, equations, or graphing.

2. Are these videos suitable for all levels of math learners?

Yes, there are videos about mathematics available for all levels of math learners. Some videos may be geared towards beginners, while others may be more advanced. It's important to find the right level for your own understanding.

3. Can I use these videos to supplement my math studies or as a primary learning resource?

Both options are possible. Videos about mathematics can be used to supplement your current math studies, providing extra explanations or visual aids. They can also be used as a primary learning resource, but it's recommended to also consult with a teacher or textbook for a well-rounded understanding.

4. Are there any recommended channels or websites for videos about mathematics?

Yes, there are many great channels and websites that offer high-quality videos about mathematics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Numberphile, and Math Antics. It's always a good idea to read reviews or watch sample videos before committing to a specific channel or website.

5. Are there any interactive elements in these videos?

Some videos about mathematics may include interactive elements such as quizzes, games, or simulations. However, this may vary depending on the source and the specific topic being covered. It's always a good idea to explore different resources to find the ones that best suit your learning style.