Why is there no factor of 4 in the variation of Riemann squared action?

• Thread starter sergenyalcin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
I don't think there's any simple way to see what the right factor is, other than working it out. In summary, the variation of δ(√gRabcdR^{abcd}) is -½√g gμνRabcdR^{abcd} +√g R_(μ)^bcdR_(ν)_(bcd) +... with a factor of 2 instead of 4 due to the Riemann tensor containing g-dependence.
sergenyalcin
I am considering the variation of

[itex] \delta ( \sqrt{g} R_{abcd} R^{abcd} ) [/itex]

and I know the answer is

[itex] - \frac12 \sqrt{g} g_{\mu\nu}R_{abcd} R^{abcd} +\sqrt{g} R_{( \mu}{}^{bcd} R_{\nu ) bcd} + \ldots [/itex]

what i do not understand is the coefficient of the last term. For example, when we evaluate the Maxwell Action

[itex] \sqrt{g} F_{ab} F^{ab} [/itex]

what we do is to write down as

[itex] \sqrt{g} g^{\mu\nu} g^{\alpha\beta} F_{\mu\alpha} F_{\nu\beta}[/itex]

so when we vary the action, we get

[itex] -\frac12 \sqrt{g} g_{\mu\nu} F^2 + 2 \sqrt{g} F_{(\mu}{}^{\sigma} F_{\nu ) \sigma}[/itex]

why is it not working with Riemann Tensor? How come there is no factor of 4 on the front of the last term in the variation of Riemann squared action?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
My reference (DeWitt's lectures) does have a factor of 4. Plus there are several terms involving the Ricci tensor.

Bill_K said:
My reference (DeWitt's lectures) does have a factor of 4. Plus there are several terms involving the Ricci tensor.

do you have a link for these lecture notes?

Sorry, my mistake, the additional factor is 2 not 4. The reference is "Dynamical Theory of Groups and Fields", which is apparently not available online, although many libraries have it. Although DeWitt claims the calculation is easy, it is not! So let me quote his result in full (He must be using the opposite sign convention):

L3 ≡ √g RμνστRμνστ
δL3/δgμν = √g (4Rμνσ -2R;μν -2RμστρRνστρ +½gμνRστρλRστρλ -4RμσντRστ +4RμσRνσ)

:tongue2:

Bill_K said:
Sorry, my mistake, the additional factor is 2 not 4. The reference is "Dynamical Theory of Groups and Fields", which is apparently not available online, although many libraries have it. Although DeWitt claims the calculation is easy, it is not! So let me quote his result in full (He must be using the opposite sign convention):

L3 ≡ √g RμνστRμνστ
δL3/δgμν = √g (4Rμνσ -2R;μν -2RμστρRνστρ +½gμνRστρλRστρλ -4RμσντRστ +4RμσRνσ)

:tongue2:

You are absolutely right about the factor of 2! i am sorry for the typo. but i still do not understand why the factor is not 4, but 2?

Without plowing through the algebra, only a vague comment. When you write FμνFμν = gμαgνβFμνFαβ you know you've factored out all the g-dependence, and it's easy to see there are two g's. But when you write RμνστRμνστ = gμαgνβgσγgτδRμνστRαβγδ, the R's still contain g-dependence, so it's not going to be just a factor of four.

What is "Easy Variation Question"?

"Easy Variation Question" is a term used to describe a type of scientific question that involves examining the changes or differences in a particular variable or set of variables in a simple and straightforward manner.

What makes a question an "Easy Variation Question"?

An "Easy Variation Question" typically involves a single independent variable and one or more dependent variables, making it easy to manipulate and observe the variations in the data.

Why are "Easy Variation Questions" important in scientific research?

"Easy Variation Questions" allow scientists to study the effects of different variables in a controlled and systematic manner, helping to establish cause and effect relationships and providing a foundation for further research.

What types of experiments are typically used to answer "Easy Variation Questions"?

Simple experiments, such as laboratory experiments or field experiments, are often used to investigate "Easy Variation Questions" as they allow for precise control of variables and easy observation of variations in data.

Can "Easy Variation Questions" be applied to all fields of science?

Yes, "Easy Variation Questions" can be applied to all fields of science, from biology and chemistry to psychology and environmental science. They are a fundamental aspect of the scientific method and can be used in a wide range of research studies.