Find a General Function for a Periodic Curve with Symmetry and Infinite Decay"

• Thread starter eqm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a general function for a periodic curve that decays as it approaches infinity and is symmetric about the y-axis. The period should increase at a large rate and the distance between the highest local maximas increases exponentially. The request for more drawings and a smaller version of the image is also mentioned.
eqm
Hi! This is my first ever post on PF. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out on this!

I'm trying to find a general function that describes the curve in the attached image. As you can see, it is periodic and decays as it approaches infinity. y ≥ 0 at all times; f(0)=0; symmetric about y axis.

The period should increase as well - the distance between the first local maxima on the each side of the y-axis should be very small (nearly 0) but increases at a very large rate. For example, set the highest local maximas as p and p' and the second highest as q and q'. Well the distance between p and p' <<<< than the distance between p and q (similarly p' and q').

I'll post more drawings if need be. Thank you very much to whoever helps me out with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Didn't realize the picture would be huge... Sorry!

Can you post a smaller version of the image you posted? It should be around 900 px X 600 px or so. Yours was way larger than that.

hu15iq.jpg

That's what I thought, sorry :/

Hello! Thank you for sharing your question with us. It's great to see that you are exploring mathematical functions and their properties.

Based on the description and image provided, a possible general function for this periodic curve could be:

f(x) = ae^(-bx) * sin(cx)

where a, b, and c are constants that can be adjusted to fit the specific curve in question. This function has the following properties:

1. Periodicity: The function is periodic with a period of 2π/c. As c increases, the period also increases, which aligns with the description provided.

2. Decay: The function decays as x approaches infinity, as seen in the image. The exponential term, ae^(-bx), ensures that the function approaches 0 as x approaches infinity.

3. Symmetry: The function is symmetric about the y-axis, as indicated in the description. This is because the sine function is an odd function, meaning that sin(-x) = -sin(x), which results in symmetry about the origin.

I hope this helps! Keep exploring and experimenting with different functions to gain a deeper understanding of their properties. Best of luck!

1. What is a function?

A function is a block of code that performs a specific task and returns a value. It is used to organize and reuse code, making it more efficient and maintainable.

2. How do I find a function in a programming language?

To find a function in a programming language, you can consult the language's documentation or use a search engine to look for specific functions. You can also ask for help from other programmers or use a code editor's autocomplete feature.

3. What is the difference between a built-in function and a user-defined function?

A built-in function is a function that is already included in the programming language and can be used without any additional code. A user-defined function is created by the programmer to perform a specific task that is not available in the built-in functions.

4. How do I know which function to use for a specific task?

The best way to know which function to use for a specific task is to carefully read the documentation of the programming language or consult with experienced programmers. You can also experiment with different functions and see which one gives the desired result.

5. Can I create my own function in a programming language?

Yes, most programming languages allow you to create your own functions. This can be useful for performing repetitive tasks or for creating custom solutions for specific problems.