To find power to be used to rotate a circular disk

In summary, the conversation is about determining the necessary horsepower for a circular disc with a 10 feet radius to carry a load of 5 tonnes and rotate at 1 rpm. The equation HP = (F * R * N)/5252 is suggested, but other considerations such as the application and type of bearing must also be taken into account. Practical experience in motor use is recommended, along with knowledge of the available electrical power.
chethankc
A circular disc of 10 feet radius has to carry
load 5 tonnes and it has to rotate very slowly say .. 1 rpm. how much power hp motor should be used? Can Anybody help me with thie..

Man thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi chethankc. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

What equations do you know that may be applicable here?

EDIT: I assumed you are a student asking about a homework question. But please correct me if I am wrong.

What sort of bearing is this turning on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have found the below equation:

HP = (F *R * N)/5252;

where
HP = Horsepower,
F = Force,
R = Radius = 10 feet,
N = RPM which is 1 rpm...

Kindly let me know if this is correct... How would i calculate force with the above parameters.

Thanks

That may be a valid equation, but there are other considerations.

Perhaps you should explain your application, as well as the bearing. The HP needed will probably be dictated by the effort needed to get the machinery moving from standstill, rather than what is needed to keep it smoothly turning. Others will have to advise you, I can see this calls for someone with practical experience in motor use.

What electrical power do you have available?

To calculate the power needed to rotate the circular disk, we can use the formula P = (T x ω)/5252, where P is power in horsepower, T is torque in foot-pounds, and ω is angular velocity in radians per minute. In this case, we know that the radius of the disk is 10 feet and the load is 5 tonnes (or 11,000 pounds). To convert this load into torque, we can multiply it by the radius, giving us 110,000 foot-pounds. To find the angular velocity, we can convert 1 rpm to radians per minute by multiplying by 2π, giving us 6.28 radians per minute. Plugging these values into the formula, we get P = (110,000 x 6.28)/5252 = 131.8 horsepower. This means that a motor with a power output of approximately 132 horsepower would be needed to rotate the circular disk at a slow speed of 1 rpm with a load of 5 tonnes. It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not account for any friction or other external factors that may affect the power needed. Therefore, it is always best to consult a professional engineer for a more accurate and precise calculation for your specific situation.

1. How is power used to rotate a circular disk?

Power is used to rotate a circular disk through the application of torque, which is the rotational force produced by an external force acting on the disk. This torque causes the disk to rotate around its center, creating circular motion.

2. What type of power is needed to rotate a circular disk?

The type of power needed to rotate a circular disk is mechanical power. This can be generated through various means such as electric motors, steam engines, or human effort.

3. What factors affect the amount of power needed to rotate a circular disk?

The amount of power needed to rotate a circular disk is affected by several factors, including the size and weight of the disk, the speed at which it needs to rotate, and any external forces acting on the disk.

4. How is power transmitted to rotate a circular disk?

Power is typically transmitted to rotate a circular disk through a mechanical system, such as gears, pulleys, or belts. These systems transfer the power from a source, such as an engine or motor, to the disk.

5. Can different types of power be used to rotate a circular disk?

Yes, different types of power can be used to rotate a circular disk. The most common types include electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic power, but any source of mechanical power can be used as long as it can produce the necessary torque to rotate the disk.