Volume of Right Circular Cylinder

In summary: What about depth? What is the height of the fluid at the top of the cylinder? In summary, you are having trouble with the equation for the cross sectional view of the cylinder. You need to set up an integral to find the area of that circle as a function of the depth of the fluid. Once you do that, find an integral to get you the volume of the fluid across the length cylinder.
opticaltempest
I need to find the volume of this right circular cylinder as a function of the depth of the fluid. I am having trouble starting this problem.

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/210/volume4ju.jpg

I realize the equation for the cross sectional view of the cylinder is

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1^2 [/tex].

Any suggestions on what to look at next?

Should I be looking to set up an integral to find the area of that circle as a function of the depth of the fluid? Then, once I do that, find an integral to get me the volume of the fluid across the length cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to state the problem correctly. You are NOT trying to find the volume of the right circular cylinder. (That's [itex]5\pi[/itex] cubic meters.) You are trying to find the volume of the fluid in the cylinder.

Think about a think layer of fluid, of thickness dz, at height z above the bottom of the tank. It is, of course, a thin rectangle with width 5 m and height 2x (x is the x coordinate at y= 1-z). Yes, x2+ y2= x2+ (1-z)2= 1 so
[tex]x= \sqrt{1- (1-z)2} . The volume is the integral of the area of that rectangle dz with z going from 0 to d.

How is the height 2x? What do you mean by the "x is the x coordinate at y=1-z" ?

Each "layer of water" is a rectangle. One side (it doesn't matter if you think of it as "length", "width", "height") is that 5 m length of the tank. The other is measured from one side of the circular face to the other. If you take x to be horizontal, y vertical, so that the circular face has equation
x2+ y2= 1, then that length is 2x. I am taking, as I said, z to be measured from the bottom of the circle up. At the bottom, y= -1 so that y= -1+z. (I said y= 1-z since by symmetry you could have taken positive y downward. Since your formula involves only y2 it doesn't matter whether you use z-1 or 1- z.)

What is the formula for finding the volume of a right circular cylinder?

The volume of a right circular cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of the base (πr2) by the height (h). The formula is V = πr2h.

What is a right circular cylinder?

A right circular cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel congruent circular bases and a curved surface connecting the bases. The axis connecting the centers of the bases is perpendicular to the bases, making the shape "right".

How do you measure the height of a right circular cylinder?

The height of a right circular cylinder is measured as the distance between the two bases along the perpendicular axis. It can also be calculated by dividing the volume by the area of the base (h = V/πr2).

What are the units for measuring the volume of a right circular cylinder?

The units for measuring volume depend on the units used for the base and height. For example, if the base is measured in meters and the height in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic meters times centimeters (m3cm).

Can the volume of a right circular cylinder be negative?

No, the volume of a right circular cylinder cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot be negative. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that the dimensions used were incorrect or the formula was not applied correctly.