Differentiation under the integral sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentiation under the integral sign and how it is done. One participant mentions reading about it in a book and an autobiography, while another provides a technical explanation using an example. The conversation also briefly mentions Richard Feynman and his unique approach to problem-solving.
hliu8
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I would like to understand better the idea of differentiation under the integral sign. I read about it in
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html and Feynman's autobiography, about evaluating an integral by differentiation under the integral sign, but how exactly it is done.

Thank to everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
How it is done

Consider
[tex]I(b)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^b-1}{lnx} dx[/tex]

now u can see clearly that after plugging the limits the variable x will vanish the only variable remains is b so the integration will be a function with b

While integrating w.r.t x u consider b as a constant similarly when differentiating w.r.t b u consider x as a constant
So , u have

[tex]I'(b)=\int_0^1 \frac{x^b lnx}{lnx} dx[/tex]
[tex]I'(b)=\int_0^1 x^b dx=\frac{1}{b+1}[/tex]
[tex]=> I(b)= \int \frac{1}{b+1} db +c[/tex]

If b=0 I(b)=0 => c=0

Therefore I(b)=ln(b+1)

So clearly it is afunction of b now with no x

Last edited:
Funny, I was just reading Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman and I was wondering about that also.

Originally posted by Tron3k
Funny, I was just reading Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman and I was wondering about that also.
what is written about this in the book, is there a technical explanation about it?

No, Feynman basically says that his "mathematical toolbox" (which included differentiation under the integral sign) was different from others', so he could solve problems others couldn't...

Last edited:

1. What is differentiation under the integral sign?

Differentiation under the integral sign is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is defined by an integral. It allows us to differentiate a function with respect to a variable other than the one being integrated with respect to.

2. When is differentiation under the integral sign useful?

This method is particularly useful when the function being integrated is difficult or impossible to integrate by traditional methods. It simplifies the process of finding the derivative of a function and can be applied to a wide range of functions.

3. How does differentiation under the integral sign work?

The process involves interchanging the order of differentiation and integration. This is achieved by using a special function known as the Leibniz integral rule, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integral of the derivative of the integrand.

4. Are there any limitations to using differentiation under the integral sign?

One limitation is that this method can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable within the limits of integration. Additionally, it may not always produce the correct result and may require additional techniques or approximations.

5. What are some practical applications of differentiation under the integral sign?

This method has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and probability. It is also commonly used in the field of signal processing to analyze and filter signals.