Weighted delayed neutron fraction?

In summary, the conversation suggests using a weighted average of the delayed neutron fraction for a particular U fuel enrichment, but caution is advised as it may not accurately represent the overall behavior of the in-hour equation. Additionally, it is recommended to use reputable sources for data, such as government agencies or organizations like the International Atomic Energy Agency.
curie
I am plotting the in-hour equation. For the delayed neutron fraction, I was thinking of using a weighted dnf for the particular U fuel enrichment of interest, ie combination of U235 & U238 dnfs, as I cannot look one up for this particular enrichment. Any comment on the “validity” or otherwise of this approach?

Btw, this is just for playing around with data & equations, not any kind of serious or real application. I am using dnf values from an old textbook which is adequate for my purposes but if you are aware of a reputable web resource for this kind of data I’d be grateful for a link.

Thanks for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
curie said:
I am plotting the in-hour equation. For the delayed neutron fraction, I was thinking of using a weighted dnf for the particular U fuel enrichment of interest, ie combination of U235 & U238 dnfs, as I cannot look one up for this particular enrichment. Any comment on the “validity” or otherwise of this approach?

Btw, this is just for playing around with data & equations, not any kind of serious or real application. I am using dnf values from an old textbook which is adequate for my purposes but if you are aware of a reputable web resource for this kind of data I’d be grateful for a link.

Thanks for any input.
curie,

You can use a weighted average of the delayed fraction.

Additionally, you have two isotopes of Uranium with similar delayed fractions.

The place where this would really come into play is when you have a mixture of
Uranium and Plutonium because the the delayed fraction for Plutonium is about a
1/3 of what it is for Uranium; 0.2% vs 0.7% if I recall.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

As a fellow forum user, I would suggest using caution when using a weighted dnf for the delayed neutron fraction. While it may be a useful tool for your specific enrichment of interest, it may not accurately represent the overall behavior of the in-hour equation. Additionally, using data from an old textbook may not be the most reliable source, so it's always best to double check with reputable sources. You can try searching for reputable web resources on nuclear fuel data from government agencies or organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency. Good luck with your project!

1. What is weighted delayed neutron fraction?

Weighted delayed neutron fraction (β) is a parameter used in nuclear reactor physics to describe the proportion of neutrons that are emitted after a short delay following a fission event. It is a crucial factor in understanding and controlling the behavior of nuclear reactors.

2. How is weighted delayed neutron fraction measured?

β can be measured experimentally by analyzing the delayed neutron emission from a sample of fissionable material. It can also be calculated theoretically using nuclear data and equations describing the fission process.

3. Why is weighted delayed neutron fraction important?

β plays a critical role in the control and safety of nuclear reactors. It affects the rate of neutron production, which in turn affects the power output and stability of the reactor. It also influences the behavior of the reactor during transient events, such as startup and shutdown.

4. How does weighted delayed neutron fraction vary among different nuclear fuels?

The value of β depends on the composition of the nuclear fuel and can vary significantly among different types of fuel. Generally, fuels with a higher concentration of fissile isotopes have a higher β, while those with a higher concentration of non-fissile isotopes have a lower β.

5. Can the value of weighted delayed neutron fraction change over time?

Yes, the value of β can change over time as the composition of the nuclear fuel changes due to fission and radioactive decay. In a nuclear reactor, the value of β can also change during transient events or as the reactor is operated at different power levels.