Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
russ_watters
Mentor
At the suggestion of Shahil, I'm starting this thread as a general guidance thread for prospective engineers. Some typical questions:

-Should I become an engineer?
-What engineering discipline should I study?
-Is engineering difficult?

I encourage people to post personal experiences in school and in the professional world regarding the field of engineering.

Some background info on me - I'm a mechanical engineer working in the field of HVAC design. I started off studying aerospace engineering, but the math was just too much for me. I like mechanical engineering because it is a very wide field with all sorts of job opportunities everywhere.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21, JD_PM, (deleted member) and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Is engineering difficult?

Answer: For most of us, YES! If engineering is not difficult for you, then you will probably become a very good engineer.

Question: What engineering discipline should I study?

Answer: What do you see around you that excites you? What do you see that you want to know everything about? What is your passion?

Question: Should I become an engineer?

Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DeBangis21 and (deleted member)
Okay, here's my input. At the moment I'm a 2nd year electronic engineering student in South Africa. I, personally, love studying engineering though it's one field that can guarantee that if you're a little insane, you're sure to BE insane by the end of your years of studying.

To be an engineer, I think, you should have a flair for Maths. Especially if you're thinking of doing it professionally with a degree instead of a technical diploma, the theoretical aspect of maths will ensure your great understanding of concepts you will probably only apply years after graduating.

Also, as much as I'm not really this type, you have to have a practical understanding of things. Granted (at leats I've been told) that as a qualified engineer, you can never do a practical application again - but rather just the calculations - if you can't see the solution, it ain't going to work.

Anyway, let's get onto something I definitely KNOW about - student life. Studying engineering is basically a self-imposed 4 (or more) year sentence to hard labour. You WILL have no time, you WILL have 30 odd page reports due every week, you WILL lose like a million hours of sleep, you WILL have an astronomical coffee bill, you WILL be stressed, you WILL at times have no clue what you're doing BUT if you are true engineering material, you WILL never look back and even half-consider changing your course.

I think engineering is a calling. You know, as an engineer, you are at the forefront of development and your company that you will have on campus (ie. other engineers) will be like minded people who CAN make a difference (maybe not politically but more uh...structurally) in the world. Even though you appear to have no life, engineering will ensure that you do enjoy yourself after all - as an engineer, you will "engineer" free time and yes, I know that was a dry joke.

As for the field - that's personal. You have to have an interset in that field to choose it. However, I say that Electronic/Electrical/Computer is the way if you are more mathematically inclined as mech/aero/civil etc. are very practical fields compared to elec.

Also, when I was deciding on my career path, I was informed about this "wonder" that encompasses engineering. Once in the job market, you may never ever have to do engineering again. Why? Employers employ engineers in fields which require brilliant thought and introspection. By attaining an engineering degree, it shows you have exquisite probel-solvng skills. Also, engineering does, in a way, teach you to think.

Lastly, the money is good BUT you should

NEVER
NEVER
NEVER
NEVER

ever choose a career for the money - and I'll stand by that.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21, Stephenk53, Jarvis88 and 12 others
russ_watters said:

Last question first: Yes, engineering is difficult. Partly because it makes use of, but is not the same as, science. Engineers use science, physics and mathematics in particular, as tools. As with all tools, learning how to use these scientific tools takes hard work, largely because they are not:

a) intuitive
b) reinforced by day-to-day living.

If anyone is uncomfortable with _all_ of maths and physics, they are unlikely to succeed as an engineer. The _depth_ of math/physics anyone needs to know depends on the type of engineer they wish to become.

Middle question: Study whatever branch is most interesting ('sales engineering' is not an option). If none of them are, don't become an engineer (I'm a mechanic).

First question: The first page of http://www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~rthomson/teaching/lecnotes/ch01.htm might help with the decision.

Cheers,

Ron http://www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~rthomson

Likes tutordelhi
Yeah, I am writing some Sat's write now for university, but I am wondering, what to do as a career lol.

First question
To do engineering, or science (physics)

Second question
If engineering which one do I do?

Third question
What is a good north american engineering / science university?

Anyone have any comments to add?

Eh bien, I am already through with engineering (electrical) and it's a week from my graduation ceremony.

As for choosing engineering as a career, I would really recommend it for those who are serious in their work, who are good in math and science, and who really like to see things work. A degree in engineering gives a broad range of career options from which someone can choose from.

Regards,

Good North American universities for engineering: CalTech, MIT, Waterloo (Canadian). In my opinion, regarded as the top three in North America, no particular order.

Second year Electrical Engineer here. If you can appreciate that small pieces make a whole, and want to understand how that happens, and are into Physics and Math in particular, Engineering is for you. I don't think anybody could just sail through Engineering, though. There will always be a subject or two in there that's bound to give you headaches.

ElementFire said:
There will always be a subject or two in there that's bound to give you headaches.
I've debated whether it really is hard or whether the profs make it hard to weed out the weak. I've come to the conclusion that it really is hard. Even weed-out courses have to be made hard so people make the effort to understand them.

No question about it, it really is hard. However it's very (and with Mechanical Eng, very very very!) diverse in terms of disciplines. I'm reasonable at maths, a bit crap at thermodynamics, but very good with design, and thus I struggle with some parts of engineering but sail through others. Other people I know are amazing at the theoretical, calculatory side of the profession but not so good with a spanner! If you reckon you can cope with some aspects, the chances are you can work hard enough to do well in the others.

I can't think of many professions which are as broad and varied as engineering, and in the average day (some mornings wearing a suit, some afternoons wearing overalls and safety boots) I definitely have a wider range of things to do than your average GP, accountant or solicitor.

russ_watters said:

If you are thinking of going into engineering, my advice is think twice about whether it is science or engineering you want to get into. I started up myself with a degree in engineering only to find out it was not what I expected and then changed to science.

Engineers focus on how to make things work whereas science focuses on the fundamental understanding of WHY something works or behaves the way it does. I'm not saying one is better than the other but just ask yourself if you are more of a scientist or an engineer before you start your degree because science and engineering ARE very different from each other.

What type of engineering has the least/most math involved, i know they all do but specifically?

If you don't like working in teams, don't become an engineer.

Once you've graduated (and if your school is any good, latest in your Senior year) you will have nothing but large group assignments.

My senior capstone class was one project assigned to the entire class (24 people) which lasted the entire semester. This is most likely what your work experience will be like.

Likes SujeeS
russ_watters said:
Some typical questions:

Answer to first question:

Yes, but you will have to deal directly with the hell until you become graduated.

Answer to second question:

Mechanical. They are the most multidisciplinar boys you ever will meet. They are wherever you go.

Answer to third question:

Ha Ha Ha! :rofl: A lot, A lot. I don't know how are prepared USA's guys, but here an engineer is someone sent by God or something like that. In particular, Industrial engineering and Aeronautical engineering are the hardest of all.

decibel said:
What type of engineering has the least/most math involved, i know they all do but specifically?
Eek, yeah, they all have a significant amount. Its like asking who has more money, Bill Gates or Warren Buffet - Gates has twice as much as Buffet, but Buffet still has thousands of times more than you.

Aerospace and Electrical probably have the most, but Mechanical and Materials still have years more than English. For a non-engineer, the difference between EE and Mech-E would seem insignificant.

1st question: if you see yourself as making something that matters in life, go for engineering. if you see yourself as being the next einstein, but you arent that good in mathematics or in geometric perception- go into engineering.

science (physics, chemistry, biology, etc) is for people who are willing to get paid less money, to work long hours and often times with little progress due to uncertainty in your work and due to the unknowns in sciences. research for a scientist is a combination of academic excellence, perseverance, and drive of curiosity. if you like teaching others or thinking of a career such as college professor this might just be the best option for you.

engineering (chemical, mechanical, civil, aerospace, electrical, etc) is for people who don't want to be journalists or accountants or customer service representatives because they want to make a difference in life, because they want to see their product - to be able to look at it and admire it with all the 5 senses. engineering is for those who want to make this world a better place, by taking serious responsibilities in everything they do, with a sense of righteosness. you might be smiling, but if engineer is lousy in his work, a lot of people will die, and a lot more might suffer. engineers get paid well compared to scientists.

now there is also a deviation from science which has a name of 'medical physicist'. those people are basically engineers, than scientists, and hence is their pay in 100k range/yr.

choose wisely, but if you are torn between the two like i am - go for both. get a dual degree in science and some engineering that interests you. for example: a dual degree, BS in Physics and BS in Electrical Engineering. Both majors are interrelated and would be a valuable addition to each other.

i'm a student in physics and chemical engineering. if you find everything interesting - go for this mix. chemical engineering is the universal engineering field. in combination with physics it creates an extremely broad range of knowledge and skills that employers will find useful.

Likes SujeeS, Satonam, (deleted member) and 1 other person
cronxeh said:
now there is also a deviation from science which has a name of 'medical physicist'. those people are basically engineers, than scientists, and hence is their pay in 100k range/yr.

choose wisely, but if you are torn between the two like i am - go for both. get a dual degree in science and some engineering that interests you. for example: a dual degree, BS in Physics and BS in Electrical Engineering. Both majors are interrelated and would be a valuable addition to each other.

i'm a student in physics and chemical engineering. if you find everything interesting - go for this mix. chemical engineering is the universal engineering field. in combination with physics it creates an extremely broad range of knowledge and skills that employers will find useful.

Is the "medical physicist" the person with a dual degree? Just clarifying. Also, what kind of jobs could you get with such a degree?

I am a high school senior who is very interested in engineering and physics. I am very strong in math and physics, so it seems a likely career. I just don't know enough about the job part; what kind of job, wages, etc.

Thanks.
James

well there is a degree like that - Ph.D in Medical Physics
http://www.healthsciences.purdue.edu/academics/graduate/medicalphysics/phd.php

And the undergrade level (B.S in Medical Physics):
http://spider.pas.rochester.edu/mainFrame/education/undergrad/preMed.html [Broken]

Also an excellent source of info on Physics careers, education, wages, etc:
http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos052.htm

And engineers:
http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also thinking about engineering

I love learning how things work and solving problems. I work at an automotive manufacturer as a manager right now. We have engineers around here as well as maintenance guys. Since my degree in Computer Information Systems will not get me a job I have been thinking of changing careers. I thought about being a Actuary, since I am good at Math and like science. I can generally look at something(a piece of machinery) and understand how it works to a certain extent. I am thinking about talking to my boss about working with engineering some, maybe talk directly with some engineers about this.

I am currently beginning my freshman year at Rutgers school of engineering. I've always had an interest in electronics and computers my whole life, and want to work with them, so I decided in majoring in electrical/computer engineering. Its only been 1 week so far, so I haven't really gotten a wide scope of things as an engineering student.

For whatever reason, I've really been stressed out the past couple days about engineering. My question is, I'm not great in math, although I have improved over the years. Physics I found to be rather difficult at times in high school. But, is it possible for me to make it through engineering school as long as I stay on top of things and work hard at it, despite not being a genius in physics or math?

ramin86 said:
For whatever reason, I've really been stressed out the past couple days about engineering. My question is, I'm not great in math, although I have improved over the years. Physics I found to be rather difficult at times in high school. But, is it possible for me to make it through engineering school as long as I stay on top of things and work hard at it, despite not being a genius in physics or math?
In engineering, hard work is what it takes more than anything else. From my experience, it seemed that most people who washed out of engineering (and that's a significant fraction) did so because they weren't willing to put in the effort required.

Engineering isn't like other fields. In English or Political science, there isn't anything to figure out - do your reading, remember the facts, and state (and back up) your opinion. Its a different kind of learning that you do in engineering - much less memorization of facts and much more learning of methods.

Likes DeBangis21 and Jarvis88
ramin86 said:
. But, is it possible for me to make it through engineering school as long as I stay on top of things and work hard at it, despite not being a genius in physics or math?

To add something about russ_watters have answered you, by the way, I agree with him; you must know I was not an excellent student at high school (also I was not the worst). And I was not excellent too in Maths and Physics. Don't worry about that. Later, you will study more interesting things in university, and surely you will study not for obligation, but you'll like it.

i'm currently in my first year at the Laurentian University school of engineering, I'm taking mining, although being an engineer was plan B for me (plan A was scrap after i went to see an optometrist) i was always facinated about how stuff works, and i was always around engineers, but i was debating between Mining and Mech. and after a summer at the Diavik Diamond Mine in northern Canada, i was hooked with mining, but it is mostly up the the individual, what ever interests you go for it, we are 8 in my engineering class, maily because people don't want to go into mining, and we will all graduate, unless someone drops out, it is hard, but as long as your on top of things your good, and don't worry about being a bad engineer after graduating, the school is there to make you a good engineer, but you got to want it, but if you go into mining, you get little perks like playing with dynomite hehe oh the fun times i will have, also mining is less uptight then others, they are all relax, I've heard one say this (in a french accent) "hey Jean-Guy, do it, whatever" hehe it was hilarious

also if you are undecided between eng profession, ask yourself this, do i want to work outside in the field, or stuck in a cubical from 9 to 5, that will narrow the choices by half

Last edited:
Mark said:
Third question
What is a good north american engineering / science university?
there are many great schools in Canada, depends what field
Mining, defenitly Laurentian U haileybury(sp?) school of mines, they have the best program because it more hands on

queens is good, waterloo, u of Alberta, there are many in Canada choose one

love

I think that if you have to ask this type of question that you have not found your love -- i.e. the thing which turns you on, which causes you loss of sleep, which you truly enjoy -- and the point is that no-one can tell you this only you.
I personally knew what I was interested in ( without knowing the details from about 10 years old ) -- it appears to me that you have not seen enough yet to know what it is you really wish -- to be good at something the prime thing is to be INTERESTED this allows you to conquer the details whether that is maths or whatever. That is not to say your going to be the greatest in the world but maybe satisfied.
My prime examples are Einstein ( who worked in the background at what he was truly interested in without input from ANYBODY) Maxwell who worked independantly to solve electromagnetism -- and 'monster garage' where guys work wonders without any formal education at all.
WHAT is IT you LOVE ?? if you say nothing then the question is moot.

I think that if you have to ask this type of question that you have not found your love -- i.e. the thing which turns you on, which causes you loss of sleep, which you truly enjoy -- and the point is that no-one can tell you this only you.
I personally knew what I was interested in ( without knowing the details from about 10 years old ) -- it appears to me that you have not seen enough yet to know what it is you really wish -- to be good at something the prime thing is to be INTERESTED this allows you to conquer the details whether that is maths or whatever. That is not to say your going to be the greatest in the world but maybe satisfied.
My prime examples are Einstein ( who worked in the background at what he was truly interested in without input from ANYBODY) Maxwell who worked independantly to solve electromagnetism -- and 'monster garage' where guys work wonders without any formal education at all.
WHAT is IT you LOVE ?? if you say nothing then the question is moot.

Einstein did have a formal education at the time he had published his theory of Special Relativity. It was through a friend that he had heard about tensors. Maxwell had a formal education, as well, and what we know today as Maxwell's equations, are not Maxwell's equations. Yes, Maxwell deserves the majority of the credit, but it was Heaviside who cleaned them up.

Last edited:
I'm currently a first-ish (second year - math deficient they call me...that hurts too) studying computer engineering via the GTREP (Georgia Tech regents engineering program) at Georgia Southern. I've wanted to be an engineer since... age 7? I always wanted to improve upon things, tinker with things. Love Physics, and programming...honestly couldn't stand math until later in high school but slowly falling in love with it.
I don't think engineering can really be easy for anyone, I see a lot my friends here who breezed through calc I n II, Physics and the first programming classes but now finding themselves hard to stay motiviated... you have to love it. never ever just for the money. eat/sleep/drink... engineering classes... in fact forget sleep. I save that for winter break ^-~

here's my take ... inexperianced as it may be ...

I have a hard time believing that anything is ultimately that difficult. Rather the difficulty is found in the absolute requirement to discipline yourself to sit down and resign yourself to a regime of studying and learning ... engineering in and of itself I don't this is difficult or hard. It's pushing yourself to think outside the box, developing a mindset that is not confined by the pretenses of what "IS" ... or how things "ARE", but rather look for the possibility to redefine what it "IS", or how things "ARE". The difficult part of engineering is breaking yourself out of the mold that we are cast in from the time we are placed in a desk in schools and told how things are supposed to work, and what the rules are that we operate within.

Engineers must be the most open minded people in existence due to the need to be able to create original solutions to unoriginal problems ...

A mechanical engineer is a mechanic with the tools in his head. He may or may not be good with a wrench or torch, but he will understand what has to be done and what not to do.

I am 49 and in my last year(I hope) of ME at the U of Arizona, and I wonder why I did not do this long ago. The hours studying are killing me, I already have a 25 year career as a welder, my GPA is not that of a younger student, and I did what? Must be a love for things mechanical.

Make up your mind with your heart, and enjoy what you are doing now. If you do not enjoy it, change something. Life is too short to wonder "Did I do the right thing?"

On edit: Don't say "I can't";

rather, " I haven't yet."

Good Luck

Bill

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21 and watanake
Last edited:
Engineering is the bridge between science and technology. A good engineer understands both ends. I can say this, it is very satisfying to nurture a design concept into a working model. In practice, you will find it necessary to learn a great deal of science outside your specialty to be an effective engineer.

Shahil said:
Okay, here's my input. At the moment I'm a 2nd year electronic engineering student in South Africa. I, personally, love studying engineering though it's one field that can guarantee that if you're a little insane, you're sure to BE insane by the end of your years of studying.

To be an engineer, I think, you should have a flair for Maths. Especially if you're thinking of doing it professionally with a degree instead of a technical diploma, the theoretical aspect of maths will ensure your great understanding of concepts you will probably only apply years after graduating.

Also, as much as I'm not really this type, you have to have a practical understanding of things. Granted (at leats I've been told) that as a qualified engineer, you can never do a practical application again - but rather just the calculations - if you can't see the solution, it ain't going to work.

Anyway, let's get onto something I definitely KNOW about - student life. Studying engineering is basically a self-imposed 4 (or more) year sentence to hard labour. You WILL have no time, you WILL have 30 odd page reports due every week, you WILL lose like a million hours of sleep, you WILL have an astronomical coffee bill, you WILL be stressed, you WILL at times have no clue what you're doing BUT if you are true engineering material, you WILL never look back and even half-consider changing your course.

I think engineering is a calling. You know, as an engineer, you are at the forefront of development and your company that you will have on campus (ie. other engineers) will be like minded people who CAN make a difference (maybe not politically but more uh...structurally) in the world. Even though you appear to have no life, engineering will ensure that you do enjoy yourself after all - as an engineer, you will "engineer" free time and yes, I know that was a dry joke.

As for the field - that's personal. You have to have an interset in that field to choose it. However, I say that Electronic/Electrical/Computer is the way if you are more mathematically inclined as mech/aero/civil etc. are very practical fields compared to elec.

Also, when I was deciding on my career path, I was informed about this "wonder" that encompasses engineering. Once in the job market, you may never ever have to do engineering again. Why? Employers employ engineers in fields which require brilliant thought and introspection. By attaining an engineering degree, it shows you have exquisite probel-solvng skills. Also, engineering does, in a way, teach you to think.

Lastly, the money is good BUT you should

NEVER
NEVER
NEVER
NEVER

ever choose a career for the money - and I'll stand by that.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Wow - thanks for posting :) One of my friend is doing electrical engineering and his view is very very similar to yours.

arizonian said:
A mechanical engineer is a mechanic with the tools in his head. He may or may not be good with a wrench or torch, but he will understand what has to be done and what not to do.

I am 49 and in my last year(I hope) of ME at the U of Arizona, and I wonder why I did not do this long ago. The hours studying are killing me, I already have a 25 year career as a welder, my GPA is not that of a younger student, and I did what? Must be a love for things mechanical.

Make up your mind with your heart, and enjoy what you are doing now. If you do not enjoy it, change something. Life is too short to wonder "Did I do the right thing?"

On edit: Don't say "I can't";

rather, " I haven't yet."

Good Luck

Bill
inspiring! I knew two "out of age" students, one of them was struggling on his program (Me and other friends used to help him to get along), he became an icon well known for his resilience and determination to succeed.

Likes watanake
which sounds better Mechatronics or Nano Technology

why does everyone forget the little guy?