Solve Homework: Find Acceleration & Reaction Force of Wedge

In summary, the problem involves a wedge of mass 4kg and angle 30 degrees on a smooth horizontal table. A mass of 1kg is placed on the inclined face of the wedge and a horizontal force of 10N is applied. The acceleration of the wedge is found to be approximately 1.35m/s and the reaction force between the wedge and the mass is calculated. The missing equation (3) is used to solve for the acceleration of the wedge, and the force of the mass pushing the wedge back is represented by A. Using the wedge as a non-inertial frame may simplify the problem.
Bucky

Homework Statement

A wedge of mass 4kg and angle 30 degrees is at rest on a smooth horizontal table. a mass of 1kg is placed on the smooth inclined face of the wedge and a horizontal force of 10N is applied to towards the vertical face of the wedge. Show that the acceleration of the wedge is

(40 - root(3g) ) / 17 ~= 1.35m/s.

Also find the reaction force between the wedge and the mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(from diagrams)

Equation of wedge horizontally

4A = 10 - Rsin30 (1)

Equation of mass horizontally

A + acos30 = Rsin30
A = Rsin30 - acos30 (2)

Equation of mass vertically

asin30 = g - Rcos30 (3)

Substitute (2) into (1)

4(Rsin30 - acos30) = 10 - Rsin30
5Rsin30 - 4acos30 = 10
5Rsin30 = 10 + 4acos30
5R* 1/2 = 4a * root(3)/2 + 10
5R/2 = 2 root(3)a + 10
5R = 4root(3)a + 20
R = ((4root(3)a) / 5) + 4

Now I have 'R' in terms of 'a', but I'm not sure where to go. My notes on this trail off...I seem to substitute R back into equation (1), along with equation (2) but that will just give me R in terms of a again.

Attachments

• wedgesforces.JPG
    wedgesforces.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
it seems you missed a equation.

you can achieve a=2g-root(3)R from
asin30 = g - Rcos30 (3)

then subtitute it to
5R = 4root(3)a + 20
it can give you R without a

besides, i really cann't understand then method you used in this problem and so as what the A stand for.i suggest you consider more ways.

enricfemi said:
it seems you missed a equation.

you can achieve a=2g-root(3)R from
asin30 = g - Rcos30 (3)

then subtitute it to
5R = 4root(3)a + 20
it can give you R without a

besides, i really cann't understand then method you used in this problem and so as what the A stand for.i suggest you consider more ways.

where does the 'missing equation' come from?
I can't actually recall why A is there, though I'm sure i need it :/ could it be the force of the mass pushing the wedge back?

Bucky said:
where does the 'missing equation' come from?
I can't actually recall why A is there, though I'm sure i need it :/ could it be the force of the mass pushing the wedge back?

:tongue:

you missed equation (3)

just tell me what the A stand for in the picture in order to let me understand it in your way.

sorry for the delay in replying.

A represents the acceleration of the wedge.

really sorry for so many days' delay.

in my peasonal sense,non-inertial frame will greatly predigest the problem.just use the wedge as frame.
in addition,you missed a force on wedge in the maps you gave.

happy new day!

What is acceleration and reaction force?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). Reaction force, also known as normal force, is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it to prevent it from falling through the surface. It is measured in Newtons (N).

Why is it important to find the acceleration and reaction force of a wedge?

Finding the acceleration and reaction force of a wedge is important in understanding the motion and stability of the wedge. It can also help in determining the force required to move the wedge or the force it exerts on other objects.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a wedge?

The acceleration of a wedge can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force applied to the wedge, and m is the mass of the wedge. It is important to note that the direction of the acceleration will be in the same direction as the net force.

How do you calculate the reaction force of a wedge?

The reaction force of a wedge can be calculated by using the formula F = ma, where F is the reaction force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. This reaction force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the wedge, also known as the normal force.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the acceleration and reaction force of a wedge?

Knowing the acceleration and reaction force of a wedge can be useful in various real-life situations such as understanding the motion of cars on inclined planes, calculating the force needed to push a door open, and designing ramps for wheelchair accessibility. It is also essential in fields like engineering and physics for designing structures and machines that utilize wedges.