What American accent do you have?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before. I scored - Western Like Midland, Western is a default, neutral, sounds-good-on-the-evening-news accent. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). I've heard the Minnesota accent, and I don't talk like that. Quiz BAD.What American accent do you have? (Best version so far) My results:I have a North Central accent.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I scored - Western

Like Midland, Western is a default, neutral, sounds-good-on-the-evening-news accent. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).

westzu0.jpg

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.asp?action=take&quiz_id=9827

Physics news on Phys.org
Though I am australia. Currently I have a fluent american accent, due to most germans I've spoken to here have wonderful american accents and I've just happened to adopt it. But i can't tell you where its from. maybe california cause most of there have been to california.

North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

What a WRONG quiz. I am don't talk at all like a Candian, eh.

I've heard the Minnesota accent, and I don't talk like that. Quiz BAD.

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_230021243.jpg

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)

I'm British, and thus don't know if this is even close to correct.

Western

Like Midland, Western is a default, neutral, sounds-good-on-the-evening-news accent. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).

I'm not american, but from an "eastern" country.

Hah, it's way off. It thinks I have a Southern accent! But I'm from Michigan, I don't sound like those people from Ohio and Indiana! :tongue:

(Okay, okay, it called it "midland", but I figure if Ohioans are allowed to say I have a northern accent... :wink:)

matthyaouw said:

I must be British too since I've got exactly the same result!:tongue:

cyrusabdollahi said:
North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

That, and...

siddharth said:
I'm not american, but from an "eastern" country.
...that.

:rofl:

I've a Canadian accent. Sensible, since I'm Canadian.

I got 'Midland', and I'm not even a Yank. :grumpy:

cyrusabdollahi said:
North Central

What a WRONG quiz. Im don't talk at all like a Candian, eh.

I've heard the Minnesota accent, and I don't talk like that. Quiz BAD.

I'm don't?:confused:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Impressive...the map includes where I live.

Danger said:
I got 'Midland', and I'm not even a Yank. :grumpy:
That's good; Yanks are from the Northeastern U.S. :tongue:

North Central

full_274031330.jpg

Go figure.

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)

I'm also British.

Hurkyl said:
That's good; Yanks are from the Northeastern U.S. :tongue:

Only to other Yanks. To the rest of us, your whole damned country is full of 'em. :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
I'm don't?:confused:

Hey, let's not have the farsi speakers correcting the native english speakers, MMAKAY??

Its Lisa :!)

Im don't need you correcting me, got it?...it was a typo.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, let's not have the farsi speakers correcting the native english speakers

You're not a native English speaker; you're a native Yank speaker. You probably spell 'colour' without a 'u'. :tongue:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, let's not have the farsi speakers correcting the native english speakers, MMAKAY??

Its Lisa :!)

Im don't need you correcting me, got it?...it was a typo.

I just wanted to make sure whether that was a typo or some structure that I've never heard of!:tongue: Although at 1st I thought Canadian speak this way!:uhh:

P.S. Heaven knows how many farsi speakers I've rejected because of misspelling or making such a mistakes while speaking/writing (in) English!:tongue2:eek::)

Last edited:

My Results:

full_428371978.jpg

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.
Well, I'm from St. Louis, so it was right.

Incidentally, the St. Louis accent deviates from the Midland accent slightly. Words like "forty-four" become "farty-far," and "Washington" becomes "Warshington." Of course, it's mostly older people who have the "true" St. Louis accent (including my father). I've met exactly one person my age who speaks that way.

Midland.

Hmm, I'm surprised a fellow countryman siddharth got Western. I thought all Indians sounded the same :uhh:

arunbg said:
I thought all Indians sounded the same :uhh:
It also depends on the accents they put on, dood. :rofl:

arunbg said:
I thought all Indians sounded the same :uhh:

No, no, you twit; they all look the same. :rolleyes:

(Unless you want to count W, who is Cree. Through a minor navigational error a few hundred years ago, they are also referred to as 'Indians'.)

Last edited:
Midland. Why didn't they have valley/Cali speak?

My Results:

full_537664926.jpg

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Right on the money!

I got Western, which is about as far off as you can get. I certainly don't talk like the people from Oklahoma and North Texas who have "flaars" instead of flowers and "awl" instead of oil. My first brother-in-law's mother was from S. Oklahoma and between the differing terminology, and the differing pronunciation of similar terminology, that woman caused me to say "pardon me?" on a pretty regular basis.

Hypatia, you know that I love you, sweetie, but you have brought an entirely new dimension to your inability to spell. WTF?!

edit: Okay, cancel this post. The Dutchess of Dictionaries has apparently deleted her post that I was responding to.

Last edited:
0TheSwerve0 said:
Why didn't they have valley/Cali speak?

Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of polysyllabic words?

lol, I had the wrong code for this forum.:yuck: Eh gads, spelling cops everywhere! They will never take me alive...TOP OF THE WORLD MOM!

hypatia said:
They will never take me alive...

And they said that there was no 'upside' to being a necrophile. :rolleyes:

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Born in NYC, and grew up in the state of South Jersey. I don't have an accent, I just talk normal. Everyone else has one though.

Canadian

People from outside North America probably think you're from the States, but over here we wouldn't make such a mistake.
full_641942087.jpg

Good! Because I am Canadian.

matthyaouw said:
Yes it is more or less, but there is a discernible difference between 'Northeastern' and 'British'.

I received the same result - Northeastern. I am Australian, but learned to pronounce words in the "Queen's English". I perhaps have pickep up some American pronunciations.

And sometimes I'll switch between pronunciations depending on location. In England and Australia, I'll fall back into the local pronunciation, and I can understand various English regional accents quite well, although my wife and American friends would be totally lost.

When I traveled to Germany, many Germans have remarked that my German is very German. Apparently, I pickup accents of foreign languages quite well.

Last edited:
Speaking of American accents, this guy parodies on the accents of immigrants. He's such a riot:rofl:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI
Check out his other videos on youtube. I love the part where the Chinese shopkeeper bargains with the Indian customer :biggrin:

Northern

<h2>What American accent do you have?</h2><p>This is a commonly asked question among non-American individuals who are curious about the different accents in the United States.</p><h2>What are the different American accents?</h2><p>There are many different accents in America, but the most well-known ones are the Southern, Midwestern, Northeastern, and Western accents.</p><h2>How can I tell which American accent I have?</h2><p>One way to determine your American accent is by listening to the way you pronounce certain words and phrases. You can also ask someone who is familiar with American accents to help you identify your accent.</p><h2>Why do Americans have different accents?</h2><p>The United States is a large and diverse country with a rich history of immigration and regional influences. As a result, different accents have developed in different parts of the country.</p><h2>Is one American accent considered "better" than others?</h2><p>No, all American accents are equally valid and valuable. Accents are a natural part of language and should be celebrated and respected.</p>

This is a commonly asked question among non-American individuals who are curious about the different accents in the United States.

What are the different American accents?

There are many different accents in America, but the most well-known ones are the Southern, Midwestern, Northeastern, and Western accents.

How can I tell which American accent I have?

One way to determine your American accent is by listening to the way you pronounce certain words and phrases. You can also ask someone who is familiar with American accents to help you identify your accent.

Why do Americans have different accents?

The United States is a large and diverse country with a rich history of immigration and regional influences. As a result, different accents have developed in different parts of the country.

Is one American accent considered "better" than others?

No, all American accents are equally valid and valuable. Accents are a natural part of language and should be celebrated and respected.