Thermo Q RE:isentropic efficiency through nozzles

In summary: T2= 1125.2KIn summary, The isentropic efficiency of a nozzle is given as 88%. The inlet pressure and temperature are 1.6 bar and 400c respectively, and the outlet pressure has fallen to an ambient level of 1.013 bar. With a negligible inlet velocity, a specific heat capacity of 1.15kJ/kgK, and a ratio of specific heats of 1.3, the outlet pressure and velocity can be calculated. Additionally, the rate of generation of entropy can be determined with a mass flowrate of 2.8kg/s. The outlet temperature is found to be 596.44K and the outlet velocity is
nickbone59

Homework Statement

Exhaust gas expands through a nozzle whose isentropic efficiency is 88%. The inlet pressure and temperature are 1.6 bar and 400c respectively. At outlet the pressure has fallen to an ambient level of 1.013 bar. Given that the inlet velocity is negligible, and Cp and [tex]\gamma[/tex]are 1.15kJ/kgK and 1.3 respectively, determine;

i)the outlet pressure and velocity
ii)the rate of generation of entropy, if the mass flowrate is 2.8 kg/s

Homework Equations

s2-s1=cp ln (T2/T1)-R ln(P2/P1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Outlet Temp

T2s/T1=(p2/p1)^([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1/[tex]\gamma[/tex])
Therefore,
T2s=673x(1.013/1.6)^(0.23076923)
=605.6266K

T2-673= - 67.373/0.88= -76.56

Therefore,
T2=673+-76.56
= 596.44K

This doesn't seem right? Is it just the first part of the formula i use, to get T2s?

After this i am stuck. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
to find outlet velocity (i don't understand how to 'find' outlet pressure since uve already stated it!):

T2s/T1=(p2/p1)^(-1/)
Therefore,
T2s=673x(1.013/1.6)^(0.23076923)
=605.6266K

for isentropic conditions (i.e. no external heat transfer),

Cp*T1 + .5*u1^2 = Cp*T2i + .5*u2i^2
since u1=0,
u2i=420.0m/s

.88=u2^2/u2i^2
therefore, u2=394.0m/s

p/rho=R*T

by bernoulli's principle,

u1^2/2 + R*T1 = u2^2/2 + R*T2
u2=394.0m/s (from previous solution)

T1= 1213.4K

1. What is isentropic efficiency?

Isentropic efficiency is a measure of the efficiency of a process that occurs without any heat transfer and with no change in entropy. In the context of nozzles, it refers to the efficiency of converting the potential energy of a fluid into kinetic energy without any losses due to heat transfer or friction.

2. How is isentropic efficiency calculated?

The isentropic efficiency of a nozzle can be calculated by taking the ratio of the actual change in enthalpy to the ideal or theoretical change in enthalpy. This can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations using thermodynamic equations.

3. Why is isentropic efficiency important in nozzle design?

Isentropic efficiency is an important factor to consider in nozzle design because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of the nozzle. A higher isentropic efficiency means a more effective conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy, resulting in a more efficient and powerful nozzle.

4. How does the shape of a nozzle affect its isentropic efficiency?

The shape of a nozzle can have a significant impact on its isentropic efficiency. A well-designed nozzle with smooth, streamlined walls can minimize losses due to friction and heat transfer, resulting in a higher isentropic efficiency. On the other hand, a poorly designed nozzle with rough or irregular walls can lead to lower efficiency due to increased losses.

5. What factors can affect the isentropic efficiency of a nozzle?

The isentropic efficiency of a nozzle can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and design of the nozzle, the properties of the fluid passing through it, the operating conditions (e.g. temperature, pressure, velocity), and any external factors that may cause disturbances or restrictions in the flow. Additionally, any imperfections in the manufacturing or installation of the nozzle can also impact its isentropic efficiency.