Name the given Phenol organic molecule

In summary, The conversation is about naming organic molecules, specifically one with a benzene ring and an -OH functional group. The molecule can be named as either phenol or hydroxybenzene, but the question arises as to why it is named with the prefix for alcohol functional groups instead of the suffix, even though it is the only functional group present. The expert explains that cyclic compounds can be named as the parent hydrocarbon, and in this case, hydroxy benzene is the name for phenol. It is also mentioned that a cyclohexane with an -OH functional group could be named hydroxycyclohexane or cyclohexanol. The expert also notes that organic chemistry naming conventions can vary and teachers
danago
Gold Member
Hi.
In my chemistry book, one of the questions was to name the given organic molecule. What was given was a benzene ring with a single -OH functional group attached. Immediately, i recognized it as phenol, but i also said its conventional name was benzenol.

When i turned to the answers, they said it was either phenol or hydroxybenzene.

My question is this: why should it be named with the prefix for alcohol functional groups, rather than the suffix, since it is the only functional group present?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyclic compounds like cyclohexane or benzene can be named as the parent hydrocarbon. Hydroxy benzene is the name for phenol just as methyl benzene is the name for toluene.

Oh, ok. Thanks for that :smile:

So a cyclohexane with an -OH functional group would be called hydroxycyclohexane?

It could be. Or it could be called by its other name, cyclohexanol. Welcome to the mad, mad, mad world of organic chemistry.

Ahh mad indeed.
So does it just come down to the conventions my teacher wants me to use?

Welll, it is a little better organized than that. Your teacher would want to teach you what you might encounter out 'there'.

1. What is the chemical formula of Phenol?

The chemical formula of Phenol is C6H6O.

2. What is the structure of Phenol?

The structure of Phenol is a benzene ring with a hydroxyl group (-OH) attached to it.

3. What are the common uses of Phenol?

Phenol is commonly used in the production of plastics, pharmaceuticals, and as a disinfectant and antiseptic.

4. Is Phenol toxic or hazardous?

Yes, Phenol is considered toxic and hazardous if not handled carefully. It can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, and even damage to the central nervous system.

5. What are the potential health effects of exposure to Phenol?

Exposure to Phenol can lead to skin and eye irritation, headaches, dizziness, and in severe cases, liver and kidney damage. Long-term exposure can also increase the risk of cancer.