Integration of exponential functions

In summary, The conversation is about two integrals, with the first one being \int e^{-y^2}/2dy and the second one being \int(1/\sqrt{2})e^{-1/6(y-1)^2}dy. The first one involves using substitution and finding the derivative of e^{-y^2}, while the second one is a bit more complex and may not be able to be solved with elementary functions. The conversation also includes hints and suggestions on how to approach and solve the integrals.
Snarf
I have a test tomorrow and I am hoping someone can help me with the following two integrals:

1. [tex]\int[/tex]ye^[tex]^{-y^{2}}[/tex]/2dy

For this one I am using substition with u=-y[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2 and du = -y/4

What I don't understand is how we account for the first y in this integral.

2. [tex]\int[/tex](1/[tex]{\sqrt{2}[/tex])e^[tex]^{-1/6(y-1)^{2}}[/tex]dy

If I'm having trouble with the first one, you can assume I'm not getting far on this one either.

Physics news on Phys.org
you're problem is unclear.

can you re-type that please.

sure. one moment...

Snarf said:
du = -y/4

That is not right. Check the derivative of the y2 and then find du/dy.

2. [tex]\int[/tex](1/[tex]{\sqrt{2}[/tex])e^[tex]^{-1/6(y-1)^{2}}[/tex]dy

This one's a bit unclear. Is it [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6}(y-1)^2\right)[/tex] or [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6(y-1)^2}\right)[/tex]? Also should there be another y term in the integral somewhere?

The first one is probably a lot easier than you think.

When I see integrals like these, I always solve the derivative of a the exponential part and see what it looks like. What's the derivative of e^(-y^2)?

neutrino said:
That is not right. Check the derivative of the y2 and then find du/dy.

This one's a bit unclear. Is it [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6}(y-1)^2\right)[/tex] or [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6(y-1)^2}\right)[/tex]? Also should there be another y term in the integral somewhere?

The first one [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6}(y-1)^2\right)[/tex]

JasonRox said:
The first one is probably a lot easier than you think.

When I see integrals like these, I always solve the derivative of a the exponential part and see what it looks like. What's the derivative of e^(-y^2)?

-2ye^(-y^2) ?

Snarf said:
The first one [tex]\exp\left(\frac{-1}{6}(y-1)^2\right)[/tex]
I don't think it's possible to solve the second integral in terms of elementary functions.

neutrino

the derivative of -y^2/2 would be -y?

neutrino said:
I don't think it's possible to solve the second integral in terms of elementary functions.

Would it help if it was being integrated from negative infinity to infinity?

Should have put that up initially :rolleyes:

So... for the first one would the answer be -2ye^(-y/2)?

or is it -2ye^(y^2)?

Snarf said:
So... for the first one would the answer be -2ye^(-y/2)?

Snarf said:
or is it -2ye^(y^2)?

Neither. The derivative of [tex]e^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}[/tex], with respect to y, [tex]-ye^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}[/tex].

neutrino said:
Neither. The derivative of [tex]e^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}[/tex], with respect to y, [tex]-ye^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}[/tex].

Oh. Now I see why you gave me that great hint.

Now as far as your hint on the second one... very interesting, but a bit complex for me. The last time I took a calc class was about three years ago.

Does this look like I'm getting close?

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-{(1/6(y-1)^2+1/6(x-1)^2)}} dxdy[/tex]

You could use a sub. like u = (1/6)(y-1) to simplify things.

1. What is the basic concept of integration of exponential functions?

The basic concept of integration of exponential functions is finding the anti-derivative or the original function from its derivative. This involves reversing the process of differentiation and finding the constant of integration to account for all possible solutions.

2. How do you solve exponential integration problems?

To solve exponential integration problems, you can use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to x^(n+1)/ (n+1) + C. For exponential functions, you can also use the substitution method or integration by parts, depending on the complexity of the problem.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when integrating exponential functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating exponential functions include forgetting to add the constant of integration, not applying the power rule correctly, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to carefully check the limits of integration and make sure they are correct.

4. Can exponential integration be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, exponential integration is commonly used in real-life situations such as continuous growth and decay problems, population growth, and financial calculations involving compound interest. It is a powerful tool in modeling and predicting various natural and man-made phenomena.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult exponential integration problems?

Some tips for solving difficult exponential integration problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using algebraic techniques to simplify the integrand, and practicing regularly to become familiar with the various integration techniques. It is also helpful to carefully check your work and use online resources or consult with a tutor for additional help.