Conversion of Ethanol to Acetone

In summary, to convert Ethanol to Acetone, one can react Ethanol with Ethanoic Acid to get Ethyl Ethanoate, which can then be reduced to an aldehyde using PCC. The aldehyde can then be dehydrogenated over copper catalyst at 400 degrees to produce the desired Acetone. Alternatively, one can add HCN to Ethanol to gain an extra carbon in the chain, and then convert the CN group to a ketonic group using Grignard Reagents.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

Q] How would you convert Ethanol to Acetone?

Homework Equations

none..

The Attempt at a Solution

What I need is a C=O group at the second carbon in a 3-carbon chain. What I need first is a 3rd carbon. To do this, I first could:

i] React Ethanol with Ethanoic Acid [itex]\textrm{CH}_3\textrm{COOH}[/itex] to get Ethyl Ethanoate [itex]\textrm{C}_2\textrm{H}_5\textrm{COOCH}_3[/itex].

The problem here is that I have an extra [O]. Can a peroxide remove this? I'm not sure how to get rid of this.

ii] I could do HCN addition to gain an extra carbon in the chain. But how could I convert the CN to a ketonic group. Also, the problem is that it is on the terminal carbon, but i want it on the 2nd.

EDIT:

With Ethyl Ethanoate, if i could replace the [itex]-\textrm{OCH}_3[/itex] group with a [itex]-\textrm{CH}_3[/itex] (methyl) group.. I could get acetone. How do i go about doing it? Would Methyl Chloride help??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to do with an alcohol. Not so hard to do with an aldehyde.

chemisttree said:
Hard to do with an alcohol. Not so hard to do with an aldehyde.

k then.. i could reduce it to an aldehyde using PCC. I will get [itex]\textrm{CH}_3\textrm{CHO}[/itex]. How can i get propanone from this?

You need to add one carbon to it.

Think about the way acetone was produced in "the old" days.

Bystander said:
Think about the way acetone was produced in "the old" days.

how exactly did they do it in old days?? I have no idea whatsoever...

Consult either Dr. Grignard or Dr. Wittig.

chemisttree said:
Consult either Dr. Grignard or Dr. Wittig.

is this sarcasm or a hint telling me to consider using Grignard Reagents?

you can dehydrogenate the alcohol. pass the vapours of the alcohol over copper as catalyst at about 400 degrees. you will get the corresponding ketone and hydrogen.

rohanprabhu said:
is this sarcasm or a hint telling me to consider using Grignard Reagents?

It's not sarcasm. You have two paths from the aldehyde...

1. What is the overall process of converting ethanol to acetone?

The conversion of ethanol to acetone involves a two-step process known as dehydrogenation and hydration. In the first step, ethanol is dehydrogenated to acetaldehyde, which is then further oxidized to acetone in the presence of a catalyst. The overall chemical equation for this process is C2H5OH → CH3CHO → CH3COCH3.

2. What catalyst is typically used in the conversion of ethanol to acetone?

The most commonly used catalyst for this conversion is a copper-based catalyst, such as copper chromite or copper oxide. These catalysts are able to promote the dehydrogenation and oxidation reactions with high efficiency.

3. What conditions are necessary for the conversion of ethanol to acetone to occur?

The conversion of ethanol to acetone typically requires high temperatures (around 500-600°C) and the presence of a catalyst. In addition, the process is usually carried out under low oxygen levels to prevent the complete combustion of ethanol to carbon dioxide and water.

4. What are the main uses of acetone produced from ethanol?

Acetone is a versatile chemical that is used in a variety of industries. It is commonly used as a solvent in the production of paints, coatings, and adhesives. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent and in the production of various drugs. In addition, acetone is used as a precursor in the production of other chemicals, such as methyl methacrylate and bisphenol A.

5. What are the advantages of converting ethanol to acetone compared to other methods of production?

The conversion of ethanol to acetone offers several advantages over other methods of production. Firstly, ethanol is a renewable resource that can be produced from various plant sources, making it a more sustainable option compared to fossil fuels. Additionally, the process of converting ethanol to acetone produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Finally, the byproduct of this process, acetaldehyde, has a variety of industrial uses, making it a valuable co-product.