Were European countries as polluted as China in the past?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: We now have a lot of awareness and understanding of the environment and its effects, and the government is doing a much better job of regulating industries.wildman, you've heard of Desert Rock right? What do you think?
Physics news on Phys.org
I was shocked to see this

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ [Broken]

And what about all N subs and waste Russia is supposed to be keeping safe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't trust air quality results after a national study ranked my town as being in the top ten, and we have two coal fired power plants in the area. Sithe wants to put another, even bigger, one in and there's a lot of controversy over it. Search "Desert Rock Power Plant"

Maine looks nice, and we're not heavily industrialized, but we are downstream from the big coal-fired power-plants in the Midwest. We have acid rain, high levels of mercury, cadmium, and other heavy metals in our pristine watersheds, and ozone alerts for asthma sufferers all summer long.

binzing said:
I don't trust air quality results after a national study ranked my town as being in the top ten, and we have two coal fired power plants in the area. Sithe wants to put another, even bigger, one in and there's a lot of controversy over it. Search "Desert Rock Power Plant"

I would think the long term health of the community is the biggest indicator.

turbo-1 said:
Maine looks nice, and we're not heavily industrialized, but we are downstream from the big coal-fired power-plants in the Midwest. We have acid rain, high levels of mercury, cadmium, and other heavy metals in our pristine watersheds, and ozone alerts for asthma sufferers all summer long.

I read some where that your rivers were not the cleanest but air pollution?

wolram said:
I read some where that your rivers were not the cleanest but air pollution?
Yes. EPA guidelines for air pollution were designed to monitor pollution locally, so the companies operating coal-fired power plants in the midwest simply equipped them with huge, tall stacks to shoot the effluent very high into the atmosphere, so upper-level winds could carry the pollutants to the Northeast states. In fact, we have health advisories against easting too much fresh-caught fish (mercury) and the livers of moose and deer (cadmium), among other things.

Pff, China must be BY FAR the worst country to live in.

I am sooo glad to be European !

marlon

My bathroom?

marlon said:

marlon

And now the Euro Zone is the number 1 economy in the World also. The US having dropped to number 2 due to the loss of the dollar's value.

wildman, you've heard of Desert Rock right? What do you think?

wolram said:
Is there any place worse ?

You could try checking the back of my refrigerator.

marlon said:

marlon

Didn't the European countries used to be like this too during the industrial revolution?

What with all the smog and black forest(acid rain).

wildman said:
And now the Euro Zone is the number 1 economy in the World also. The US having dropped to number 2 due to the loss of the dollar's value.

Well, i don't know if the EU are the No 1 economy in the world, and frankly i don't care.
All i know is that in this region, especially in Western Europe, the notion of green energy is very well established. Our governments are quite strict on pollution and that only reflects the quality of our societies. I admit, we have our problems as well but, if i look at the general living standard of the average John Doe in the street, i would say we are indeed the "richest" region in the world.

marlon

Oerg said:
Didn't the European countries used to be like this too during the industrial revolution?

What with all the smog and black forest(acid rain).

Things were very bleak in the UK, but then no one new better, mad hatters did not know mercury was poisoning them, and people did not know what caused many illnesses.

1. What are the most polluted places in the world?

The most polluted places in the world vary each year based on different factors such as air pollution, water pollution, and toxic waste. Some of the consistently polluted places include cities in China, India, and Pakistan, as well as industrial areas in Eastern Europe and parts of Africa.

2. How does pollution affect human health?

Pollution can have serious impacts on human health. Air pollution can lead to respiratory issues and cardiovascular diseases, while water pollution can cause gastrointestinal illnesses. Exposure to toxic waste can also lead to long-term health problems such as cancer and birth defects.

3. What are the main sources of pollution in these places?

The main sources of pollution in these places vary depending on the type of pollution. Air pollution is often caused by emissions from vehicles and industrial activities, while water pollution can be caused by sewage, agricultural runoff, and industrial waste. Toxic waste can come from a variety of sources such as manufacturing, mining, and improper disposal of household products.

4. How can we reduce pollution in these places?

Reducing pollution in these places requires a multi-faceted approach. Governments can implement stricter regulations on industrial emissions and waste disposal, while individuals can make changes in their daily habits such as using public transportation or carpooling to reduce air pollution. Proper waste management and recycling can also help reduce pollution.

5. What are the long-term effects of pollution on the environment?

Pollution can have devastating long-term effects on the environment. Air pollution can lead to acid rain and damage to plant and animal life. Water pollution can harm aquatic ecosystems and affect the quality of drinking water. Toxic waste can contaminate soil and groundwater, making it difficult for plants to grow and potentially impacting the entire food chain.