What Science Personalities Inspired You as a Kid?

• Thread starter glondor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation revolved around childhood memories and inspirations in science. Participants mentioned watching TV shows like Magnus Pike and Julius Sumner Miller, as well as reading books and playing with science sets. Some also shared personal experiences, such as building a Van de Graaff generator or being exposed to Einstein's theory of relativity at a young age. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of early exposure and encouragement in fostering a love for science.
The 'Megascope Space Prober' was the one that stuck with me. In fact, I built a semblance thereof with my first Lego set. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
The 'Megascope Space Prober' was the one that stuck with me. In fact, I built a semblance thereof with my first Lego set. :blushing:

:rofl: Now that's funny. I also had a Lego obsession around the same time I was learning about NASAs Apollo missions. When my parents bought me the little grey swiveling pieces with the axle stubs and black rubber wheels, it took my upgraded version of the lunar rover to a whole new level!

I'm scared to even hypothesize what people are up to with the 'Mindstorms' stuff. U-Tube has a video of some guy with a rubber band-firing Gatling gun made out of Lego. It's amazing. With the computer control of 'Mindstorms', there's some serious equipment running around out there.
Due to the state of Lego at the time, though, I actually preferred my Mechano set. (In fact, the brass spur gear from my Mechano clockwork motor was the prime power transfer junction for the jaw-drive mechanism in my 'Alien' Hallowe'en costume.)

binzing said:
Integral, what town did you grow up in? It was in Oregon right?

Yep, Roseburg, in southern Oregon. It was kid heaven. We lived across the road from a open field, bounded on the far side by the South Umpuqa river. Fishing, swimming, Blackberry picking, laying on your back watching the cloulds and birds. What more could a kid ask for. There was only 1 channel on the TV, and computers were beyond comprehension. We lived outside, cause no one had air conditioning and the houses were unbearable. It was sleeping out on the warm summer nights that we would watch the satillites go over.

Whenever I would ask why I would get at best "God did it" or the usual "How the hell should I know?". I decided those answers weren't good enough so I set out to find the answers myself. When my kids ask me why something is the way it is I want to be able to tell them with enough facts to turn it into an encyclopedia article.

Now I just want to help people in some way and science allows me to do that.

Nova was a good show. I was well over 22, but still living with my parents, when it came on. Since we didn't have cable, I got permission from my mom's best friend across the street to go over and watch it every week. Believe it or not, those two 80+ year-olds got into it just as much as I did. (In retrospect, the fact that their son is a petroleum engineering professor makes sense.)

edit: Sticks and Stones, you snuck in while I was composing my post. Your explanation pretty much sums it up for me, although I don't have kids (wife's fault, not mine). Despite my lack of education, there is nothing more satisfying than trying successfully to teach a youngster that there is a path that makes sense.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Star Trek

I was wondering when this was going to show up! I love scifi as inspiration.

Back