Cardinality of infinity

In summary, the concept of cardinality refers to the size or number of elements in a set. Infinity, as a concept, is often considered to be the largest possible number, but there are actually different levels or sizes of infinity, known as cardinalities. For example, the cardinality of the set of natural numbers is smaller than the cardinality of the set of real numbers, even though both sets are considered to be infinite. This concept of different sizes of infinity was first explored by mathematician Georg Cantor in the late 19th century.
kingwinner said:
OK, I can now see that S has infinitely many elements.

But if I define the S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to infinity), will S contain all subsets of Q with infinitely many elements? k is supposed to be finite, but from the union, k can be all the way from 1 to infinity. How come?

I don't think you are giving these questions much thought before you post them. Answer this one yourself. WHY doesn't S contain an infinite subset? Try answering it instead of asking it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
I don't think you are giving these questions much thought before you post them. Answer this one yourself. WHY doesn't S contain an infinite subset? Try answering it instead of asking it.
S certainly doesn't contain an infinite subset by definition, or by the statement of the problem.

But when I try to write this as S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to infinity) U {empty set}
Then the right side would contain the infinite subset since k is summing from 1 to infinity.

On the other hand, if I write it as S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to n) U {empty set}, then the right side would not contain An+1, An+2, etc...

So either of them seem to be an incorrect description of S, but what else can I do?:confused:

The notation S = union of Ak (k from 1 up to infinity) does not mean that you include A_infinity, you just union over all finite k. That fits with your notion of what S should be as you described in the first sentence, right?

Last edited:
Dick said:
The notation S = union of Ak (k from 1 up to infinity) does not mean that you include A_infinity, you just union over all finite k. That fits with your notion of what S should be as you described in the first sentence, right?
Is this simply a matter of notation/convention? Although it is an infinite union, it can still never go up to infinity?

However, I think the following is true:
union of Ak (k from 1 up to ∞) = A1 U A2 U...UA
And by definition, Ak = {all subsets of Q having k elements}
Now put k=∞, UA contains infinite subsets of Q

I think I am missing something...

I already told you that most people wouldn't include A_infinity. If you insist on reading it that way, then you'll have to find a different way of expressing the union you want.