Finding velocity with changing distance and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object with a mass of 1.44*10^-27 kg and an initial speed of 3.84*10^5 m/s being propelled towards a fixed nucleus with a force of F= a/x^2 where a = 2.59*10^-26 Nm^2. The question is to find the speed of the object when it is 7.46*10^-10 m away from the nucleus. The individual has been struggling to find the correct answer and has attempted various equations and methods. The correct answer is determined to be 3.15*10^5 m/s using the conservation of energy method.
bluedolphin12
I have a physics problem I have been trying to figure out for a week and I'm now to the point of way past frustrated. The question is:

An object with the mass 1.44*10^-27 kg is propelled at an initial speed of 3.84*10^5 m/s toward a fixed nucleus 4.80 m away. The object is repelled by the nucleus with the force F= a/x^2 where x is the separation between the object and the nucleus and a = 2.59*10^-26 Nm^2. What is the speed of the object when it is 7.46*10^-10 from the nucleus?
I have tried many ways to solve this to the point of I don't know what I'm doing anymore and just trying to plug in numbers into equations and still not getting the right answer of 3.15*10^5.
equations:
F=m*a
final speed^2=initial speed^2+2*acceleration*distance

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy.

as in work= .5 mass* velocity^2-.5 mass*velocity^2?

as in...
energy = kinetic energy + potential energy = constant

m = 1.44*10^-27 kg, initial speed v1 = 3.84*10^5 m/s, x1 = 4.80 m,
force F= a/x^2 where a = 2.59*10^-26 Nm^2. x2 = 7.46*10^-10 m, find v2.
note force is not a constant, but just like gravitational force f = GmM/x^2 except f is attractive but F is repulsive. Remember the corresponding potential energy for f is -GmM/x, then the corresponding potential energy for F is a/x,
initial total energy = (1/2)mv1^2 + a/x1
final total energy = (1/2)mv2^2 + a/x2
energy conservation: (1/2)mv1^2 + a/x1 = (1/2)mv2^2 + a/x2
then get v2 = 3.15*10^5 m/s

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate velocity with changing distance and acceleration?

In order to calculate velocity with changing distance and acceleration, you can use the formula: velocity = initial velocity + (acceleration x time). This will give you the velocity at a specific point in time.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance from the starting point to the ending point. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can either increase or decrease the velocity depending on whether the acceleration is in the same direction or opposite direction as the initial velocity.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity with changing acceleration?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity with changing acceleration. In order for the velocity to remain constant, the acceleration must also remain constant. If the acceleration is changing, then the velocity will also change.

5. What units are used to measure velocity, distance, and acceleration?

Velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), distance is measured in meters (m), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).