Connecting a hard drive to PDA

• Thread starter 5te4lthX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of connecting an iPod hard drive with 20gb to a HP iPaq 1900, which only has an SD card slot. The suggestion of using an SD card reader and a USB to ATA 6 adapter is mentioned, but it is uncertain if it would work. Ultimately, it is unlikely that the iPaq would recognize the hard drive even with this connection.
5te4lthX
I have a HP iPaq 1900 that only has an SD card slot and an iPod hard drive with 20gb

and ata 6. SD cards are too expensive and I want to make use of my hard drive. Is

there a way you can think of that can connect the hard drive to the iPaq?

I was thinking of buying an SD card reader, connecting the SD card reader's circuits to the

PDA's card reader (I may post pictures to help explain the connection), allowing an SD card

placed in the commercial card reader to be read by the PDA. But the main point of this is to

use the USB on the end of the card reader to connect the hard drive via USB to ATA 6

adapter.

Do you think this will work, and do you know a method that might work?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I am just taking a stab at this, but even if you were able to connect it via SD, I don’t think the iPAQ would recognize it.

So you want to convert an ATA connection to an SD card "connector".

If that's the case and you did manage to get it all connected then jsg7377 is correct. The pda wouldn't recognise it.

1. How do I physically connect a hard drive to my PDA?

To connect a hard drive to your PDA, you will need a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. This cable has a micro USB connector on one end and a standard USB port on the other. Simply plug the micro USB end into your PDA and the USB end into your hard drive.

2. Can I connect any type of hard drive to my PDA?

Most PDAs have a USB port, which means you can connect any hard drive that has a USB port as well. However, make sure to check the compatibility of your PDA and the hard drive before attempting to connect them.

3. Do I need any additional software to connect a hard drive to my PDA?

In most cases, no additional software is needed to connect a hard drive to your PDA. The PDA should automatically recognize the hard drive once it is connected. However, if you encounter any issues, you may need to install a file manager app on your PDA.

4. Can I transfer files directly from my hard drive to my PDA?

Yes, you can transfer files directly from your hard drive to your PDA. Once the hard drive is connected, you can access it through the file manager app on your PDA and transfer files as you would from any other external storage device.

5. Is it safe to disconnect the hard drive from my PDA without safely ejecting it?

It is not recommended to disconnect the hard drive from your PDA without safely ejecting it first. This can cause data loss or damage to the hard drive. Make sure to properly eject the hard drive from your PDA before physically disconnecting it.