Help with HEALPix: Get Advice and Tips for Synfast & Anafast

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
In summary, HEALPix is a software package used in astronomy for analyzing data on the celestial sphere, particularly for CMB experiments. Synfast is a command in HEALPix used to generate simulated maps, while Anafast calculates the angular power spectrum of a given map. To use these commands, a basic understanding of HEALPix and Unix/Linux is needed, and there are online resources available for guidance. Common issues when using these commands include incorrect input parameters, file formats, and memory limitations.
maverick280857
Hi,

Has anyone here used HEALPIx? I have to use it for a summer project, specifically the programs synfast and anafast. I can't figure out how to use them--it seems they are given as FORTRAN programs and I don't know FORTRAN programming.

I need to execute them on some available data sets for analysis. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
cheers
vivek

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hey Vivek,
I just started work on Healpix and I don't know much about it. I want to know how we can convert a Healpix fits file into a normal fits file.
Thank you
Nikhil

1. What is HEALPix?

HEALPix (Hierarchical Equal Area isoLatitude Pixelization) is a software package commonly used in astronomy for analyzing and manipulating data on the celestial sphere. It is particularly useful for handling data from cosmic microwave background (CMB) experiments.

2. What is Synfast?

Synfast is a command in HEALPix that generates simulated maps of the sky using a predefined model. It is often used to create mock CMB data for testing and validation purposes.

3. What is Anafast?

Anafast is another command in HEALPix that calculates the angular power spectrum of a given map. This is useful for analyzing the statistical properties of the data and comparing it to theoretical predictions.

4. How do I use Synfast and Anafast?

To use Synfast and Anafast, you will need to have a basic understanding of HEALPix and how to run commands in a Unix or Linux environment. There are also online tutorials and documentation available that can guide you through the process step by step.

5. What are some common issues when using Synfast and Anafast?

Common issues when using Synfast and Anafast include incorrect input parameters, incorrect file formats, or running out of memory. It is important to carefully read the documentation and error messages to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.