Can Yellow Light Ionize Cesium Atom?

In summary, cesium can be ionized by a beam of yellow light with a wavelength of 5230Å, as the energy required to ionize a cesium atom (6.224*10^-19 J) is lower than the energy of one photon of yellow light (3.797*10^-19 J). This is due to the photoelectric effect and the application of "electric eyes" in self-opening doors. The value of Planck's constant used in the calculation is h = 4.14 x 10^-15 eV s.
sami23
Cesium is often used in "electric eyes" for self-opening doors in an application of the photoelectric effect. The amount of energy required to ionize (remove an electron from ) a cesium atom is 3.89 electron volts (1 eV = 1.60 x 10-19 J). Show by calculation whether a beam of yellow light with wavelength 5230Å would ionize a cesium atom.

I converted wavelength: 5230*1x10^-10 = 5.23*10^-7m

Then I calculated the energy by using hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex] :
(6.62*10^-34 * 3*10^8)/(5.23*10^-7) = 3.797*10^-19 J

I also calculated 3.89eV*(1.6*10^-19) = 6.224*10^-19 J energy required to ionize Cesium

How can I tell the beam of yellow light ionizes the Cesium atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of Planck's constant did you use? Remember to include units. Keep track of your units!

h = 6.62*10^-34 J.s

I think since 6.224*10^-19 J is required to ionize cesium and there is 3.797*10^-19 J of energy in one photon of yellow light, then you can prove it does ionize because 6.224*10^-19 is less than 3.797*10^-19 J, therefore there is enough energy to ionize cesium. Hope that's right.

Look at what you just stated...

My earlier comment was directed at using the value of Planck's constant in eV to make the calculation simpler for you...

h = 4.14 X 10-15 eV s

Q1. How does yellow light ionize a cesium atom?

The ionization of an atom occurs when an electron is removed from the atom, creating a positively charged ion. Yellow light has a specific energy level that is absorbed by the cesium atom, causing an electron to become excited and move to a higher energy level. This leaves the atom with a positive charge, resulting in ionization.

Q2. What is the energy level of yellow light that can ionize a cesium atom?

The energy level of yellow light that can ionize a cesium atom is approximately 2.2 electron volts (eV). This energy level corresponds to a wavelength of 580 nanometers in the visible light spectrum.

Q3. Is yellow light the only color that can ionize a cesium atom?

No, yellow light is not the only color that can ionize a cesium atom. Different colors of light have different energy levels, and any light with an energy level higher than 2.2 eV can potentially ionize a cesium atom.

Q4. How does the ionization of a cesium atom affect its properties?

The ionization of a cesium atom changes its electrical charge from neutral to positive, making it more reactive and potentially changing its chemical properties. Additionally, the removal of an electron can also affect the atom's physical properties such as melting and boiling points.

Q5. Can yellow light ionize a cesium atom in any state?

Yes, yellow light can ionize a cesium atom in any state, whether it is a solid, liquid, or gas. However, the efficiency of ionization may vary depending on the state of the atom and the intensity of the light source.