Exploring Instate Tuition: Transferring Schools with Divorced Parents

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking at transferring to a school in a different state from the one they currently attend due to their parents' divorce. They are unsure if they would be considered an in-state student at the new school and plan to call the schools to clarify.
Sheneron
Hello,
I am looking at different schools because I am going to transfer to a different school than the one I am currently at. My parents are divorced and they live in different states. I currently attend a school in the state in which my father lives. Would I be considered an instate student if I transferred to a school in the state that my mother lives?

Physics news on Phys.org
nope

You should call the schools. Most schools reopen after New Years. Explain the situation and see what they say.

mbisCool are you sure? I have been trying to look it up and I can't find an answer. I guess it would be best to call the schools, thanks.

1. What are the eligibility requirements for instate tuition while transferring schools with divorced parents?

The eligibility requirements for instate tuition vary by state and institution. Generally, the student must have resided in the state for a certain amount of time, typically one year. In addition, the student's parents must also meet residency requirements, which can be more complicated in the case of divorced parents. Some states may require that the student's primary custodial parent or legal guardian has resided in the state for the required time period.

2. Can both parents claim residency for instate tuition purposes if they are divorced?

In most cases, only one parent can claim residency for instate tuition purposes. This is typically the parent who has primary custody of the student or the parent who claims the student as a dependent on their tax returns. However, some states may allow for both parents to claim residency under certain circumstances, such as joint custody or equal financial support of the student.

3. How do I prove residency for instate tuition if my parents are divorced?

The specific documentation required to prove residency for instate tuition may vary by state and institution. However, in general, the student or parent will need to provide documents such as a lease or property deed, utility bills, and a driver's license or state ID showing their address. If the student's parents are divorced, they may also need to provide a custody agreement or court order showing which parent has primary custody.

4. Can I receive instate tuition at a new school if I already received it at my previous school with divorced parents?

In most cases, a student can continue to receive instate tuition at a new school if they meet the eligibility requirements. However, they may need to provide updated documentation proving their residency, as well as any additional documentation required by the new school. It is important to check with the new school's admissions office for their specific requirements.

5. Will my instate tuition status change if my parents' residency changes due to divorce?

If a student's parents' residency changes due to divorce, their instate tuition status may also change. This will depend on the specific requirements of the state and institution. In some cases, the student may be able to continue receiving instate tuition if one parent still meets the residency requirements. However, if both parents move out of state, the student may have to pay out-of-state tuition. It is important to check with the institution for their policies regarding changes in residency status due to divorce.