(UK) What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT?

In summary, to apply to MIT you need a A* in maths and physics and a grade of B or above in other subjects. Applicants are typically 16 or 17 years old and have done well in their GCSEs.
NiveKJ13
(UK) What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT?

For UK guys only...

What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT?

for those who wants to anser..heres the GCSE leveling here in UK

A*
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
U

How many As do you think I'd need for GCSE? Dyou think it'd be OK if I get a B?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's likely that your GCSEs won't really be looked at when applying for university, especially somewhere other than the UK. However, you should be looking to obtain A* in at least physics and maths if you're going to have much chance of coping at MIT (or any other top university).

How old are you?

What grades did you get in which subjects?

MIT doesn't have cutoff points for tests or grades. If you get a B in the physics exam, MIT won't automatically disqualify you but you need to make up for it in another way to get in, for example if you won a science fair with a physics project.

calvinuk said:
How old are you?

What grades did you get in which subjects?

I'm 16 and I'm still in Year 11, which is like Senior Year in US, but not exactly, coz we still have to do 2 years of college then we can go to University when we're 18...

And, we haven't done our final exams yet, which is this May or so, that's why I'm asking so I can get a target grade for the exam...

NiveKJ13 said:
I'm 16 and I'm still in Year 11, which is like Senior Year in US, but not exactly, coz we still have to do 2 years of college then we can go to University when we're 18...

And, we haven't done our final exams yet, which is this May or so, that's why I'm asking so I can get a target grade for the exam...

No, it's not like senior year in america.

I'm in year 12, and senior year in america is equivalent to year 13.

What are you projected to get? And what subjects did you take?

Admissions at MIT (or any other top school) are *very* competitive. First thing to realize... top grades and top test scores will not get you in, but low grades or low test scores will keep you out. You need to do outstanding things outside of school as well.

How competitive, you ask? Take a look at http://web.mit.edu/registrar/www/stats/geofinal.html. Last year, there were *six* undergrads from the UK at MIT. Since an undergraduate education typically takes four years, this means they admit on average one or two students from the UK each year.

Last edited by a moderator:

calvinuk said:
What are you projected to get? And what subjects did you take?

Mostly As and Bs.

I have 9 subjects

English
Science
Maths
Religious Studies
PE

my choices:

Additional Science
Graphics
Art
Media

-I'm planning to study Architecture...

Out of curiosity, why are you so keen on MIT? Don't get me wrong It's a commendable ambition but you should also note that a school like that must have to turn down excellent candidates and you should keep your options open.

jbunten said:
Out of curiosity, why are you so keen on MIT?

coz my mom is planning to move to Washington DC and work there; Actually, she can leave anytime now but she wants to wait for me till Uni, so that I can do it in America. and the closest top University in the area is MIT...

I'd say, when you reach something, why not reach to the highest?

Before when she haven't thought of moving there yet, I was planning to go Cambridge or Imperial, which are also top Univerities in UK. But in US, I can't go Harvard, possibly Yale, but Harvard's to high for me, I'd be dead LOL

btw, the As and Bs that I've said were just predictions...not final yet.

NiveKJ13 said:
coz my mom is planning to move to Washington DC and work there; Actually, she can leave anytime now but she wants to wait for me till Uni, so that I can do it in America. and the closest top University in the area is MIT...

I'd say, when you reach something, why not reach to the highest?
Agreed, and If you feel that it is possible you should certainly aim for it. However keep in mind that there are many excellent universities in that area (some of the best in the world actually).

Anyway, although it is unlikely that your GCSEs will mater at all, entering MIT would I imagine be on the same level of difficulty as entering Cambridge, 9 straight A/A*s would be roughly what entrants tended to have.

Why do you imagine that Harvard would be impossible to get into but MIT not-so? Top universities are top universities..

jbunten said:
Why do you imagine that Harvard would be impossible to get into but MIT not-so?

I know but in MIT, I know I'd have more chance of getting through. Let's admit it, Harvard is the #1 University worldwide...

Is it now?

NiveKJ13 said:
I know but in MIT, I know I'd have more chance of getting through. Let's admit it, Harvard is the #1 University worldwide...

You're just going on name recognition

I'd compare entry to a top US college to a top UK uuniversity. Oxbridge require high marks in order just for you to qualify for concideration. This is AAA at A-level, they also look at GCSEs which are typically all A*/A. Still, even with these grades you need much more and doesn't even come close to guaranteeing entry.

In terms of a top US college, MIT, not only will it be extremely difficult for you to get in, but it will be very expensive and overall I think pretty unlikely and infeasible, especially if you are just a year 11 that has been watching Walter Lewin's physics lectures on YouTube.

calvinuk said:
You're just going on name recognition

According to most university league tables Harvard is the top university worldwide.

NiveKJ13 said:

With all due respect, I don't think you have the perspective to make that judgment - you're a teenager 5000 miles away from either institution. That really doesn't give you the background, experience or depth to compare two programs, neither of which you have any experience with.

TMFKAN64 makes a very salient point. MIT historically takes one student per year from the UK. Sometimes two. Are you unmistakably the very best student in the entire UK? If the answer is "no", I would seriously recommend you apply to more than one place.

Vanadium 50 said:
With all due respect, I don't think you have the perspective to make that judgment - you're a teenager 5000 miles away from either institution. That really doesn't give you the background, experience or depth to compare two programs, neither of which you have any experience with.

TMFKAN64 makes a very salient point. MIT historically takes one student per year from the UK. Sometimes two. Are you unmistakably the very best student in the entire UK? If the answer is "no", I would seriously recommend you apply to more than one place.

God, he's just aiming high, does he really expect to get into MIT? I would think no, he's just trying to find the ceiling.

Vanadium 50 said:
MIT historically takes one student per year from the UK. Sometimes two. Are you unmistakably the very best student in the entire UK? If the answer is "no", I would seriously recommend you apply to more than one place.

Now hold on, I don't think that the best student in the UK necessarily goes to MIT ;)

jbunten said:
Is it now?

As Gregg said, yes.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would seriously recommend you apply to more than one place.

When did I say that I would only apply to MIT? We get 5 choices in UCAS, Of course I wouldn't only pick one...

Last edited:

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you unmistakably the very best student in the entire UK? If the answer is "no"

I know I'm not but I know that I have a chance. And if I am the "best", Why exactly would I apply to MIT if Oxbridge is just right there...

calvinuk said:
God, he's just aiming high, does he really expect to get into MIT? I would think no, he's just trying to find the ceiling.

I don't get what you'r trying to say... I mean, is this suppose to be a sarcasm? that, I'm too imaginative to even think I'd be accepted in MIT?

Or is it a good thing? that, what you're trying to say is I'm reaching for the highest one that I could possibly reach(like the ceiling)?

Last edited:

NiveKJ13 said:
When did I say that I would only apply to MIT? We get 5 choices in UCAS, Of course I wouldn't only pick one...

You don't apply to US colleges through UCAS...

NiveKJ13 said:
As Gregg said, yes.

Greg said no such thing, he said he'd compare any top US university to Oxbridge actually. Harvard may top league tables, and this one metric perhaps. But the question itself becomes meaningless at the level of university you're talking about. It's a bit like saying "Which is the better fruit, apples or strawberry?".

You're trying to compare things which aren't comparable.

Now I wouldn't worry too much about University for the time being, just concentrate on your GCSEs and good luck!.

jbunten said:
Now I wouldn't worry too much about University for the time being, just concentrate on your GCSEs and good luck!.

i agree with Mal4mac. Shouldn't I be worrying about it now, so that I'd have a lot to put in my portolio?

NiveKJ13 said:
i agree with Mal4mac. Shouldn't I be worrying about it now, so that I'd have a lot to put in my portolio?

Well, I did say to concentrate on your GCSEs, 9A/A* is probably the best thing you can put in your portfolio..

jbunten said:
9A/A* is probably the best thing you can put in your portfolio..

Yup, it IS the best thing XP

tnx for replyin to my questions by the way...

Use your GCSEs to get onto some A level courses. Get predicted As in all of those, and then start thinking about which university to choose.

brewnog said:
Use your GCSEs to get onto some A level courses. Get predicted As in all of those, and then start thinking about which university to choose.
I agree. You need to achieve A's in all you A/S levels before you even consider applying to MIT/Oxbridge.

A word of caution: If after your A/S exams, should you chose to take four or five A-Levels (as opposed to the usual three), your conditional offer from Oxbridge will most likely require that you achieve four/five A's rather than three.

NiveKJ13 said:
I don't get what you'r trying to say... I mean, is this suppose to be a sarcasm? that, I'm too imaginative to even think I'd be accepted in MIT?

Or is it a good thing? that, what you're trying to say is I'm reaching for the highest one that I could possibly reach(like the ceiling)?

I mean it's a good thing that you're reaching for the highest one you could.

1. What are the GCSE levels required to apply for MIT?

The GCSE levels required to apply for MIT are typically a minimum of five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including Mathematics, English, and Science subjects. However, the specific requirements may vary depending on the program you are applying for.

2. Can I apply to MIT with GCSEs from other countries?

Yes, MIT accepts GCSEs from other countries as long as they are equivalent to the UK GCSEs. You may need to provide additional documentation to demonstrate the equivalency.

3. Are there any specific GCSE subjects required for admission to MIT?

While there are no specific GCSE subjects required for admission to MIT, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in Mathematics, Science, and English. Taking advanced level courses in these subjects can also be beneficial.

4. Do I need to have all A* grades in my GCSEs to be considered for MIT?

No, MIT does not have specific grade requirements for GCSEs. However, a strong academic record, including high grades in relevant subjects, can improve your chances of admission.

5. Can I apply to MIT if I do not have GCSE qualifications?

Yes, MIT does not have a strict requirement for GCSE qualifications. You may still be considered for admission if you have completed other equivalent qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate or Advanced Placement courses.