PG&E makes deal for space solar power

In summary: California's biggest energy utility announced a deal Monday to purchase 200 megawatts of electricity from a startup company that plans to beam the power down to Earth from outer space, beginning in 2016. The company, called SkyPower, plans to use a system of large ground-based antennas to transmit the power to Earth. The purchase is part of a larger agreement between SkyPower and PG&E. SkyPower has been working on the project for several years, and the purchase is the final step in making the project a reality.The purchase is controversial. Some critics say that the project is too risky, and that the company lacks the technical know-how to make it work. Others say that the project is a waste of money, and
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
California's biggest energy utility announced a deal Monday to purchase 200 megawatts of electricity from a startup company that plans to beam the power down to Earth from outer space, beginning in 2016...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30198977/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Its about time this idea picked up some pace. I've had this idea since I was 12 and can't believe its taken so long for someone to try an implement it. Perfect source of energy if you think about it, that is if you ignore the possibilities of this thing missing its target and frying new york or something.

Is this the same company that is going to manipulate weather?

I'm going to have to remain pretty skeptical. PG&E refuses to actually invest in the technology or accept any risk for it. The FCC has not yet given permission for the plan. The GPS system, of comparable complexity, took 21 years to design and build; even if modern engineering practices are twice as productive, seven years is still a breakneck pace.

- Warren

drbuzz0 & his friends tear this idea apart over here:
http://depletedcranium.com/?p=2313

I don't know if their objections ( a bunch of stuff about antenna sizes) make sense or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real valid arguments I see from the blog are 1 and 5. Keeping the correct attitude and orientation with the precision that thing requires is a major engineering challenge.

Topher925 said:
The only real valid arguments I see from the blog are 1 and 5. Keeping the correct attitude and orientation with the precision that thing requires is a major engineering challenge.
There are issues but I don't those are much trouble. Hubble points with 7/1000th arcsecond at moving targets, and I believe military star wars tech improves on even that.
http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/hubble_essentials/quick_facts.php
The blog might have been mistakenly thinking of pointing the entire array moment, when only the antenna needs that kind of accuracy.

I also think the bloggers overestimate the mass when using space station figures. IIRC, the space station uses common crystal solar cells. The http://www.nss.org/settlement/ssp/library/nsso.htm" had its eye on lightweight solar (thin film?): paper thin, lightweight, more compact for lift. Divide by the blog mass estimate by ~five at least. The DoD report is THE study on this idea at the moment, I have the impression the bloggers havn't read it.
Edit: yes on quick review the DoD report planned (pg 21) on either thin films or just mirrors and concentrator photovoltaics. Simple reflectors could have a mass on the order of grams per square meter.

Other PF threads on SBS:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1999539&highlight=space+power#post1999539

Last edited by a moderator:
DoD targets for an SBSP satellite is 3000 MT, not 20,000MT, for a 1200MWe delivered system.

PG&E is pledging to buy the power at an agreed-upon rate, comparable to the rate specified in other agreements for renewable-energy purchases,
It's a no lose deal.
In the extremely unlikely event that it works, PG&E get to fulfill their eco power quota for the same price as they can already buy it from solar panels in the desert.
If it doesn't work then PG&W are still at the forefront of investing in a clean safe high tech future for the dear sweet children (please ignore the coal plants behind the curtain)

1. How does space solar power work?

Space solar power involves collecting solar energy in space using photovoltaic panels, and then transmitting the collected energy back to Earth using microwaves or lasers. The energy is then converted into electricity and fed into the power grid for use.

2. Why is PG&E interested in space solar power?

PG&E is interested in space solar power because it provides a potential solution for meeting the growing energy demands of California. The state has ambitious renewable energy goals, and space solar power could help to meet these goals without taking up valuable land resources.

3. What is the significance of PG&E making a deal for space solar power?

The significance of PG&E making a deal for space solar power is that it shows a commitment to exploring and investing in alternative energy sources. This deal could pave the way for more widespread adoption of space solar power and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

4. How much energy could be generated from space solar power?

The amount of energy that could be generated from space solar power is significant. According to a study by the International Academy of Astronautics, space solar power could potentially provide up to 20% of the world's energy needs by 2050.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or challenges to space solar power?

While space solar power has many potential benefits, there are also some challenges and drawbacks to consider. These include the high cost of launching and maintaining satellites, potential safety concerns with transmitting energy back to Earth, and the need for international collaboration and regulations.