Few Questions about building a Solar Oven.

In summary, the paraboloid will reflect light back into the oven, so the heat will be greater. The size of the paraboloid will not affect the heat of the cookie, but placement of glass may. If you are only baking one cookie, a platform may be useful to keep it from getting too hot on the bottom.
Pinu7
I hope I am posting this on the right section...

In my Environmental Science Class, we are to design and build a solar oven(without using solar panels!). We will be baking a cookie.

Me, being a "mathematician", remembered something about a parabola, that if light ray hits anywhere on the interior surface, it will reflect through its focus. I assumed for realistic three dimensions, this will work for a circular paraboloid(confirm that please). i.e. zr^2=x^2+y^2

If I put a cookie at its focus, it should cook well(or ignite).

The surface of the circular paraboloid will be reflectable

I have a few questions-

1. How exactly DO I create the frame of a circular paraboloid? I can't just stare at my calculator and yell "materialize!"

2. What material should I use that has a high albedo, but is cheap-ish? I will spend no more than $30 on this.

3. How will the size of the paraboloid effect the heat of the cookie?
THE HOTTER THE BETTER. I want a high powered oven, if the cookie turns to ash, I'd be ecstatic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are right about the parabola first of all. Remember many many years ago when we first started learning about complex shapes. Remember the concept of a locus (loci?? sp?). Anyways, the locus of a parabola is a group of points that lie equidistant from a point and a straight line. See the wikipedia page for a proof showing the favorable reflective properties.

Anyways, having seen a man win $100k for a solar oven, I briefly looked at some designs. Unless you want to spin a large amount of liquid metal into a parabola, you're going to have discretize it (for lack of a better word). A common design that I've seen it referred to as a Parvati Parabolic Cooker.

Check out this site which has pretty good instructions for how to make a type of oven.

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/shobhapardeshi/ParvatiCooker.html

It seems that a common way to do this is to include a black box which will absorb the heat. Good luck,

Okay thanks, now I other questions.

Should I place glass at the top of the paraboloid to insulate the oven, or will light be dimmed too much?

Should I put a rod from the bottom point to the focus and putting a small level platform on it because I will be baking ONE cookie?

Glass on top contributing to a "greenhouse" effect may be good. There's only one way to find out!

1. How does a solar oven work?

A solar oven harnesses the energy from the sun to heat and cook food. The oven is typically made up of reflective panels that focus the sun's rays onto a cooking chamber, which is usually insulated and made of dark material to absorb the heat. The heat trapped inside the chamber can reach temperatures of up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, allowing for cooking or baking of various foods.

2. What materials are needed to build a solar oven?

The materials needed to build a solar oven may vary, but some common materials include cardboard, aluminum foil, glass or plastic cover, and insulation material such as newspaper or straw. You may also need some tools like scissors, glue, and a ruler to measure and cut the materials to the desired shape and size.

3. How long does it take to build a solar oven?

The time it takes to build a solar oven depends on the complexity of the design and the availability of materials. Some simple designs can be built in as little as one hour, while more complex designs may take a few hours to complete. It is important to follow instructions carefully and take your time to ensure the oven is built correctly and safely.

4. Can a solar oven be used for all types of cooking?

A solar oven can be used for a variety of cooking methods, including baking, boiling, steaming, and roasting. However, it may not be suitable for cooking foods that require high temperatures or quick cooking times, such as frying. It is best to experiment with different recipes and cooking techniques to see what works best for your solar oven.

5. What are the benefits of using a solar oven?

There are several benefits to using a solar oven, including reducing energy costs, minimizing environmental impact, and versatility in use. Solar ovens use renewable energy and do not produce any harmful emissions, making them an eco-friendly option for cooking. They can also be used in various settings, such as camping trips and outdoor events, where traditional cooking methods may not be available.