Can someone verify my solution?

• Thread starter CentreShifter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace transforms to solve a differential equation with given initial conditions. The solution provided is e^{3t}(1/9*t - 2/27) + 1/9*t + 2/27 and a request is made for someone to solve it again. There is also a discussion about the importance of stating the correct differential equation and using the correct method for solving it.
CentreShifter
I think there may be a typo in the book, I'm pretty sure I'm doing this correctly.

Use the Laplace transform to solve the IVP: y"-6y'+9y=t; y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

My solution is e[tex]^{3t}[/tex](1/9*t - 2/27) + 1/9*t + 2/27.

Can someone quickly solve it again for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CentreShifter said:
I think there may be a typo in the book, I'm pretty sure I'm doing this correctly.

Use the Laplace transform to solve the IVP: y"-6y'+9y; y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

Hi CentreShifter! :smile:

y"-6y'+9y = what? :confused:

CentreShifter said:

Use the Laplace transform to solve the IVP: y"-6y'+9y; y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

Well, what is your differential EQUATION??

Is it: y"-6y'+9y=0 ?

First, we identify that [itex]Ae^{3t}[/tex] is, indeed, a double root-solution of the IVP

In order to find a second solution, we try with:
[tex]Bte^{3t}[/tex]
Inserting this trial solution into our equation yields:
[tex](6Be^{3t}+9Bte^{3t})-6(Be^{3t}+3Bte^{3t})+9Bte^{3t}=0[/tex]
Note that simplification of the left-hand side yields:
[tex]0=0[/tex]

This is precisely what you should have, since you now have two arbitrary parameters, A og B, by which you may adjust your general solution, [tex]y=Ae^{3t}+Bte^{3t}[/tex], to the initial conditions.

(Note that this will yield you y=0 as your solution, do you now realize WHY you must state precisely what your diff. eq. actually was?

You are both absolutely correct. I was the end of my study session, there should definitely be an equation there. I'll be posting it as soon as I can get to the book.

@arildno - I know this doesn't help right now, but the problem is to be solved using Laplace transforms, not undetermined coefficients (although I suppose t doesn't really matter as long as the solution is correct).

Edit: I have fixed the equation in the first post. It's now correct.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to have a solution verified?

Having a solution verified means that another person with expertise in the field has checked and confirmed that the solution is correct and follows proper scientific methods. This helps ensure the accuracy and validity of the solution.

2. Why is it important to have a solution verified?

Having a solution verified is important because it helps to prevent errors and biases that may have been overlooked by the original researcher. It also adds credibility to the solution and increases confidence in its accuracy.

3. Who should verify a solution?

A solution should be verified by someone with expertise in the specific field or subject matter. This could be a fellow scientist, a peer reviewer, or a professional in the field.

4. What steps should be taken to verify a solution?

To verify a solution, the person should carefully examine the methodology, data, and results of the solution. They should also check for any potential errors or biases and ensure that the solution follows proper scientific methods.

5. Is it common for solutions to be verified in the scientific community?

Yes, it is common for solutions to be verified in the scientific community. Peer review and replication studies are common practices to ensure the accuracy and validity of scientific solutions. This helps to maintain the integrity of the scientific process and promote the advancement of knowledge.