Quick question on a simplification of position formula

In summary, the position formula is a mathematical equation used to determine an object's location in space at a given time. It can be simplified using basic algebraic operations and represents an object's displacement and change in position over time. It can be used for any type of constant motion and is related to the velocity formula through the derivative of position and velocity.
skurred

Homework Statement

I'm having issues simplifying the following position formula.

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/y1tgG.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Its probably something really stupid I'm not realizing but i don't understand how under the square root 127 got to be 127 and not 127^2.

Since in the orig problem when you solve for V^2 you'd end up with

V^2= (127^2)(g)/ ((2)(80.8))
[

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi skurred! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, you're right … (g/2)(127/v)2 = 80.8, so v = 127√(g/(2*80.8)) :smile:

(is this from a book? :redface:)

This is a simplification of the position formula.]

Hi there,

It's actually not a stupid question at all! The reason why 127^2 becomes 127 under the square root is because of the power rule for exponents. When taking the square root of a number raised to a power, you can simply divide the power by 2. In this case, 127^2 becomes 127^(2/2) which simplifies to 127^1, or just 127.

So in the original problem, when solving for V^2, you would end up with (127^2)(g)/((2)(80.8)) which simplifies to (127^(2/2))(g)/((2)(80.8)), which then becomes 127(g)/((2)(80.8)) or just 127(g)/161.6.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the position formula?

The position formula is a mathematical equation that helps determine an object's location or position in space at a given time. It is often used in physics and can be written as x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do you simplify the position formula?

To simplify the position formula, you can combine like terms and use basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also factor out common terms and use properties of exponents to simplify the equation.

3. What does the position formula represent?

The position formula represents an object's displacement or change in position over time. It can be used to calculate an object's position at a specific time, its velocity, and its acceleration.

4. Can the position formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the position formula can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is constant or uniform. This means that the acceleration remains constant throughout the motion.

5. How is the position formula related to the velocity formula?

The position formula and the velocity formula are related because velocity is the rate of change of position with respect to time. In other words, velocity is the derivative of position, and acceleration is the derivative of velocity. This relationship can be seen in the position formula, where v0 is multiplied by t, representing the change in position over time.