Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
Thankfully, it's skipping us, at least until Tue, although I think that's totally different system headed your way.

As it is, Tue's projected 13 below doesn't hold a frozen candle to last year's -29 F.

I'll simply keep the door closed and call my parents.

Same as it ever was.

Besides, if thing get WAY bad, I can hike there in slightly more than an hour (and I have the extreme cold weather gear in which to do it).

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting ready for a big snow. Plenty of animal food, that way they don't have to me if times get tough.

Not a huge one, but we are forecast for 10-18" Wednesday. Hopefully, it stays all snow this time.

It's starting to feel like Maine here in Kansas. Snow, snow, snow.

With temps to -10°F Thursday morning.

dlgoff said:
It's starting to feel like Maine here in Kansas. Snow, snow, snow.

With temps to -10°F Thursday morning.
We're under a blizzard warning, and weather.com says we're all going to die. :rolleyes:

The Fruitbat and I have three firelogs and some devilled eggs.

Unfortunately we are all electric, but I do have my coleman tailgater grill, unfortunately it requires a special propane cannister, which I don't have, but it's cute, don't have any charcoal either. Don't have an axe, so I can't get wood, even if I had gloves and snowboots so I could chop wood in -60F windchills.

Evo said:
We're under a blizzard warning, and weather.com says we're all going to die. :rolleyes:

The Fruitbat and I have three firelogs and some devilled eggs.

Unfortunately we are all electric, but I do have my coleman tailgater grill, unfortunately it requires a special propane cannister, which I don't have, but it's cute, don't have any charcoal either. Don't have an axe, so I can't get wood, even if I had gloves and snowboots so I could chop wood in -60F windchills.
I think it's good that you don't have an axe. It's also good that you don't have cold-weather gear. If you are to be a cold-related fatality, it's best that the authorities find you at home so your place could be rented out right away. Finding bodies when the snow-banks melt makes for messy legal situations.

turbo-1 said:
I think it's good that you don't have an axe. It's also good that you don't have cold-weather gear. If you are to be a cold-related fatality, it's best that the authorities find you at home so your place could be rented out right away. Finding bodies when the snow-banks melt makes for messy legal situations.
:rofl:

I love you turbo!

Evo said:

I love you turbo!
Just trying to be practical... :rolleyes:

12 inches of snow tomorrow :D!

Kevin_Axion said:
12 inches of snow tomorrow :D!
Hah, 14-16" with 45 mph winds and -10F below temps (without windchill).

I will have to dig a path for my 9" fruitbat so he can go potty.

Evo said:
Hah, 14-16" with 45 mph winds and -10F below temps (without windchill).

I will have to dig a path for my 9" fruitbat so he can go potty.

Will he even agree to go, at those temps? Or will he go on a pee strike?

lisab said:
Will he even agree to go, at those temps? Or will he go on a pee strike?
His pee might freeze mid air. :eek:

Evo said:

And it doesn't even have to fall very far!

That's nothing

it was so cold that the mate's shadow froze fast to the deck and had to be ripped loose by main strength. And even then he got only about two-thirds of it back.

Mark Twain

It is going to flood this spring when this finally DOES melt... oh boy is it going to flood.

I got up to make coffee just now and no water. Turns out that the water meter is frozen. So I took a propane torch to it. Ahhhh Coffee.

Baby it's cold out.

Evo said:

Just hope he doesn't try to pee on a fire hydrant. That hurts ten times worse than having your tongue frozen to a flag pole.

It stayed in double digits here ... wait ... what's that dash before the temperature mean? Aaaaagh!

dlgoff said:
I got up to make coffee just now and no water. Turns out that the water meter is frozen. So I took a propane torch to it. Ahhhh Coffee.

Baby it's cold out.
It's going to be much colder tomorrow. I hope your pipes will be ok.

BobG said:
Just hope he doesn't try to pee on a fire hydrant. That hurts ten times worse than having your tongue frozen to a flag pole.

It stayed in double digits here ... wait ... what's that dash before the temperature mean? Aaaaagh!

Evo said:
It's going to be much colder tomorrow. I hope your pipes will be ok.
Thanks. The water meter is on the northwest corner of the property where the wind howls. I'll keep a small stream of water running until we're out of this cold snap.

dlgoff said:
Thanks. The water meter is on the northwest corner of the property where the wind howls. I'll keep a small stream of water running until we're out of this cold snap.
Consider covering it in plastic and then burying it under some compost and bark mulch. That should keep it warm until spring.

Astronuc said:
Consider covering it in plastic and then burying it under some compost and bark mulch. That should keep it warm until spring.
Good idea. In the past I've stuffed insulation down in the hole and was going to today thinking it would be okay until then. It's full of R-19 now.

dlgoff said:
Good idea. In the past I've stuffed insulation down in the hole and was going to today thinking it would be okay until then. It's full of R-19 now.
Put the insulation in a plastic back. Air is a good insulator, but wet (soaked) insulation doesn't insulate very well. Compost decays and produces heat.

Astronuc said:
Put the insulation in a plastic back. Air is a good insulator, but wet (soaked) insulation doesn't insulate very well. Compost decays and produces heat.
Well, the meter is in a well with a metal lid. I doesn't get wet in there in the winter.

This rural meter gets read monthly, so I wouldn't be able to cover it up. I got a notice just this summer that there would be a $25 fee if it is not free of weeds. They are worried about snakes I guess.

Just let the my dog out, jeeze o pete that wind and that small granular ice stings like crazy. I wish I had my camera, just in the 3 minutes he was out, he looked like a snowman, he was completely covered with snow.

You know, until I sent picture to some relatives in India, a few didn't believe the kind of snow and weather you people get in the North America. It's... cold, but it is very beautiful, and even that cold is like blazing heat... it's a little majestic.

Icicles... never get old.

12 deg and snowing steadily. The heavy snow is due tomorrow, and the forecasters are describing a band of heavy snowfall that may or may not have this town in the bulls-eye. Again, it looks like the northern parts of the state may get a lot less snow than we will.

I didn't experience -40 once this winter. Balmy!

turbo-1 said:
12 deg and snowing steadily. The heavy snow is due tomorrow, and the forecasters are describing a band of heavy snowfall that may or may not have this town in the bulls-eye. Again, it looks like the northern parts of the state may get a lot less snow than we will.

Your TOWN!? Wow... that's some awful luck given the size of this storm. :bugeye:

nismaratwork said:
Your TOWN!? Wow... that's some awful luck given the size of this storm. :bugeye:
The point is, the forecasters are predicting heavy snow in a wide band of Maine, but the way they draw their maps, I can't tell if the are putting us in the 12" zone or maybe the 20" zone.

Phase 1 was mild. Waiting for Phase 2. Fortunately we're not in the freezing rain section. I'd much rather have 2 feet of snow than freezing rain and 1 or 2 inches of ice on everything.

This Afternoon...Snow with patchy freezing drizzle. Snow accumulation up to an inch. Cold. Near steady temperature around 20. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight...Freezing drizzle and snow likely in the evening...then snow...freezing rain...very light freezing drizzle and sleet after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Wednesday...Freezing rain...light snow and sleet. Additional snow and sleet accumulation up to an inch. Ice accumulation of up to one tenth of an inch. Highs around 30. East winds 10 to 15 mph... Becoming northeast 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night...Snow likely in the evening...then scattered snow showers after midnight. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Lows around 17. West winds around 5 mph...becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Seems the system is now centered over the Ohio River Valley between Ky and In.

Attachments

• ECI6-020111.jpg
    ECI6-020111.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 375
turbo-1 said:
The point is, the forecasters are predicting heavy snow in a wide band of Maine, but the way they draw their maps, I can't tell if the are putting us in the 12" zone or maybe the 20" zone.

Hell, that's kind of a big deal for forecasters to miss. I guess in Maine though this is nothing however!

Astronuc: What is freezing rain? I'm finding several definitions online... is it like sleet or hail, or rain that freezes on contact with the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
Hell, that's kind of a big deal for forecasters to miss. I guess in Maine though this is nothing however!

Astronuc: What is freezing rain? I'm finding several definitions online... is it like sleet or hail, or rain that freezes on contact with the ground?
It's rain (liquid) just above or at freezing but not frozen as in sleet or hail. It hits a cold surface (at or below freezing) and turns to ice. Surfaces get very icy/slippery.

Astronuc said:
It's rain (liquid) just above or at freezing but not frozen as in sleet or hail. It hits a cold surface (at or below freezing) and turns to ice. Surfaces get very icy/slippery.

Great... another kind of lethal weather I get to experience here. I love this country, but you have ice that seems to WANT you dead! Freezing rain... sounds like a level of hell.